When do you teach...?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by FriendshipTeach, Mar 26, 2006.

1. FriendshipTeach

FriendshipTeach Rookie

Mar 26, 2006

I want to start incorporating some Spring themes into my lessons but don't know when I should teach them. I want to do activities around birds, plants and flowers, caterpillars, butterflies, and other ideas. Because this is my first year teaching, I'm not sure when to introduce these things. Any ideas of a timeline would be great...

3. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 26, 2006

We learned about spring last week, before spring break. When we come back from break, we're doing gardening, and then insects.

4. buterfly

buterfly Companion

Mar 26, 2006

I introduced my spring unit last week. the first day we spoke about the season, what changes occur in the environment, it's the season before summer and after winter, etc. They planted marigold seeds, made cup cake liner flowers, etc. We then focused on spring weather. One day we focused on rain, we made rainy day pics, played in the water table and used eye droppers and food coloring on a cookie sheet with piece of paper taped on and followed the path of the "rain", and we also did wather absorbtion. We then did wind and talked about how it can be very windy in spring. How it's air that moves, etc. I brought in a fan to demonstrate wind, we guessed what items would blow in wind, we made kites, we pretended we were wind and danced with streamers. This week we will have butterfly day, bird day, and and we'll start to talk about Easter. Another idea, I turned my dramatic play area in to a flower shop, and our sand table has been turned in to a gardening center with soil, fake flowers, rakes, gardening gloves, etc. The kids LOVE spring!

5. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 27, 2006

I'm into my second week of Spring. Last week we talked about flowers and bees under the garden theme. This week we're doing rain, rainbows, and butterfies. It just seems to work out that it's all mixed together as a general theme. I use one wall in the hall way to create a garden and projects fit into it for almost a month.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2006

I introduced our spring unit the first day of spring. It was about 30 degrees outside here in WI! We will be learning about spring from now until the end of May. There is a lot to cover. Next week we are learning about ducks and I will be teaching about baby animals born in the spring. Next will be our weather unit...Earth Day is in April and that covers a lot of information...also, we will be doing a week on Trees and will make blossoms, etc. Spring is a busy time of year!