When do you teach parts of speech?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by learningfun, Jun 8, 2010.

1. learningfun

learningfun New Member

Jun 8, 2010

Hi,

I'm working on a new game that would teach kids parts of speech. The game is almost ready, but I'm not sure when a particular part of speech has to be recognized by students.

Could you please write the appropriate grade level next to each part of speech?

Nouns: ___
    Verbs: ___
    Pronouns: ___
    Adjectives: ___
    Adverbs: ___
    Prepositions: ___
    Conjunctions: ___
    Interjections: ___

Thank you!!!

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2010

Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to learn the ages when such knowledge is required before developing the game?

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2010

Look at the state standards. It should tell you.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 8, 2010

I teach high school, and I still have to review all the parts of speech with my students. They generally know nouns and verbs, and a few know adjectives, but beyond that...

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2010

I taught English in an Upward Bound summer class years ago. Because many of the students told me they were there only because they got a stipend for attending, I was concerned they would not respond to my lessons, which I tried to keep fun. We did play a lot of games to help the kids remember the parts of speech.

A few years later, I pulled up to a drive-through window at a fast-food joint. The cashier was one of my Upward Bound students. She immediately cried "Mrs. ____, how wonderful to see you!" I asked how she was, and if she remembered anything I had taught her. "I don't remember much else from high school," she smiled, "but I do know what a preposition is!" :thumb:

Sorry for the :hijack:

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 8, 2010

I teach second grade and we cover nouns, verbs, pronouns, and adjectives. Our curriculum calls a noun a person, place, thing, or animal. They still have trouble grasping that a noun can be an idea at this grade level. They also come to second grade not knowing what an adjective is- we talk about "describing words."

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2010

I teach all of those in the sixth grade. Much of it should be a review, but... :(

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2010

In first grade we introduce nouns, verbs, pronouns, and adjectives.

10. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

I've taught 4th/5th, 6th/7th, and 7th/8th and very few knew even beyond noun and verb!! :eek::wow: We worked on the basics with Mad Libs (some are still too young for that, though). Whatever you do, and whatever you "call" certain words (action words: verbs, describing words: adjectives, etc.) make sure you ALSO use the term for them. Afterall that is the term they will see on tests, isn't it? So many times, I have seen students who KNOW what they are, just not what the term is for the parts of speech.

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2010

Ditto :( Some had a very hard time with this all year! Its my mission for next year! I want to improve this area of my instruction and I plan on making it a part of my data folders!