When do you start seeing the impact you're making on students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ExtrinsicMotivation, Jan 8, 2021.

1. ExtrinsicMotivation

ExtrinsicMotivation New Member

Jan 8, 2021

This is my third year and I am feeling rather down. While I feel like I am the best I've ever been at my job (I teach middle school language arts), I am just not seeing my purpose right now. Yeah, I feel like most students are learning and I have a lot of kids who have said I am their favorite teacher or what we did in class was fun, but I just can't see the impact I'm making in their lives as a whole. At what point did you realize that you really, truly, made their lives better? Or does that actually happen?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2021

IMHO, you will be better off focusing on intrinsic factors - you are the best you have ever been at your job. Hey, that's great, but that should be a challenge to learn more, continue to grow as a teacher, with the motivation of self satisfaction. In case you haven't noticed, I prefer to focus on the only factors that I can truly control, and they tend to be intrinsic - personal growth and satisfaction will help you stay the course. If your compass is true, you will find that your purpose to be creative, patient, and ready to continue learning new teaching techniques that will translate into your students getting a better teacher, yielding increased learning. You may or may not be able to see that in the moment, which is what makes it kind of a poor motivation tool. Best of luck.

4. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jan 9, 2021

You may never know till years down the track, if at all. If you do the best job you possibly can, there’s a chance you may make a difference in their lives. If you don’t do the best job to the best of your ability, then the chances of you making any difference in their lives is pretty slim. So focus on being the best teacher you know how to be. The truth is you are one person out of many in your students’ lives and you are a small cog in the entire chain of their lives.

nstructor likes this.
  5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2021

I have to ask how many of your teachers made an impact on your life as a whole and did the teachers know it at the time.

I think what you are looking for is an unreasonable ask. It is a very rare thing to see that impact on their life "as a whole". However, every interaction you have with them makes an impact on their life. Maybe you should consider celebrating the small things and know that even if you do something to impact their life as a whole, you will probably never know.

rpan and Loomistrout like this.
  6. AmberP

AmberP Rookie

Jan 12, 2021

I think you worry too much. I didn't see much of a response from the kids for the first 4 years, but you don't have to get upset. You're doing your best, the kids are learning from you, and your influence may be noticeable in a few years. Or what you say will one day help them make a choice.

sadaf clinic likes this.
  7. sadaf clinic

sadaf clinic New Member

Jan 22, 2021

:);)

8. IreneFenswick

IreneFenswick New Member

Jan 30, 2021

I suppose that you shouldn't worry about it. I had the same thoughts! But... when students visit your lessons, when they ask you about some piece of advice, and you have a permanent teaching job - everything goes right. The main thing is your own feelings: if you're happy with your work and feel comfortable on your career path, it's great. Students feel it too. ;)

9. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Jan 30, 2021

Look at the test grades, try to interact with them to see their growth.