When do you start science/social studies?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Aug 8, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

Do you start science/social studies right at the beginning of the year? If not ... when do you start it? THANKS!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

Disclaimer: 1st grade here!

We start right away. Our first "unit" in social studies is rules so we are covering that without trying!

I personally do a focused science and social studies lesson/lab 1 day a week. I am starting the second week in science. My mondays are dedicated to science and social studies in the mornings so it looks different in my room. My first thing in science is explaining the science notebook and finding out what a scientist looks like (like you and me!). So it's a pretty gradual process before we just jump right in to hard core science and social studies.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 8, 2009

We start the 3rd week of school with either 5 senses or apples/Johnny Appleseed depending on when Johnny Appleseed's birthday falls. The second week is all about me, which ties in to social studies strands.

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 8, 2009

With our curriculum it's SS the 1st semester & sci. the 2nd sem. The SS emphasis (other than the norm themes) is Children Around the World and Patriotic. The sci. is basically theme & seasonal anyway.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2009

I teach science and social studies every day beginning with day 2. Many times I incorporate it into the reading curriculum.

7. spunkyteacher

spunkyteacher Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

Our social studies and science is done through our themes. We will start social studies the first day with how to be a good citizen at school. The things that aren't taught through our reading themes are done on Friday, like magnets and push and pull.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 9, 2009

Science and social studies are part of our daily curriculum and I start day 1. We have to have 45 mins of one or the other every day so I usually do science 3 days a week and social studies 2.

9. newkteacherfl

newkteacherfl Companion

Aug 9, 2009

I have to have 30 minutes of both subjects daily. I have not decided yet exactly when I will start, but I am sure it will be the first week.