When Do You Start Organizing Your Classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AspieTeacher, Aug 15, 2011.

1. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

Ok here goes, I just went back the first day into my new classroom. I begin school (inservice on Sept. 6th). I went in this morning at close to 9am. I was OVERWHELMED by just the teacher's desk alone. It took me all day until 4pm to organize, clean the drawers and decide what belongs to the previous teacher. I need to place her things into a box or something. I haven't even begun doing the rest of the room and I'm already exhausted! This is a high school autism support classroom. My desk is still cluttered with the previous teacher's personal belongings, grrr. When do you most of you start organizing and setting up your classroom for the next school year? Do you come 3 days before, 3 weeks before, or a week before?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

At the end of the previous year, I try to organize cabinets and things, that way it's finished when I go in. We get 5 days before school starts to set up, including one day of meetings, so I go in for those 5 days. We're not allowed in before that.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 15, 2011

We start school the 18th (THURSDAY! :eek:) We got a new P this year who organized a meet and greet potluck on the 31st of July. After that he said teachers could come in anytime they want. We have a key to the building and a key to the rooms. Not sure how it normally works, will have to wait and see until next year!

I started coming in as soon as I could. It took me 3 days to get the classroom ready to go. I'm hoping it won't be as bad next year.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 15, 2011

It usually takes me about two full days if I cleaned and organized as I put it away for summer. Last year I didn't do that. I just threw it in the closet and ran. It took me four days this year, and my closet isn't cleaned out yet. This is my third week with my kids.

6. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 15, 2011

It usually takes me a full 2 weeks. I also have my little ones under foot some of those days; as well as chatting with teachers I haven't seen all summer.

So far, I've put in about 26 hours in my room. I'm hoping to finish up tomorrow so that I can take the kids somewhere fun on Wed as our last day together. My first day is 18th with students coming on the 22nd.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 15, 2011

If I'm in a new room, I spend one to two weeks before we report back.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 15, 2011

I don't know what my new P will do next summer. Because I was unsure what grade I would be teaching, I did not start on my classroom until last Monday, and our students report on Thursday, the 18th! Although I completely cleaned out my classroom at the end of last year, there is a TON of work to do. First, I will have 1.5 times the number of kids as last year, so I have to totally revamp the space to hold them. I decided to change my theme as well (from no real theme to N.O. Saints). We officially report tomorrow for PD all day (we can work after the PD), and Wednesday, we have PD in the morning and can work in the afternoon (we have to stay until 3). Then, at 7:50 on Thursday, the maddening hordes arrive! :)

9. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 15, 2011

In terms of actually organizing my classroom, it takes me maybe one or two full days to get everything as I want it. I do go into school for a few more days before we're required to organize my beginning of the year lesson materials, though. In fact, I will be there on Wednesday, even though I don't need to officially be back until 8/29. I like to take my time to get everything done, and I can't do it in the 1/2 day they give us during professional development time.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

This goes for me too (except we go back on the 24th I think).

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 15, 2011

We have PD day next Monday, and kids com Tuesday for a shortened day (mine have meet-and-greet Wednesday and come Thursday). I went in for a couple hours one day last week to move furniture (I knew there would be less people competing for the use of the maintenance staff if I wasn't waiting on that til this week).

I spent a couple hours there today, and will probably work at least half a day Tuesday-Thursday this week. I'm not allowing myself to go in on Friday this week, so I'm determined to get "done enough" before then :)

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 15, 2011

It seems like I always spend 1 day just looking, thinking, and planning. I get overwhelmed too. The next time I go in, it's better, because I feel like I have a plan and am ready to jump in. So don't panic. Just pick one area, organize it completely, and move on to another. Don't flutter from one to the next-you'll feel disjointed.

Oh, and trust me-the mess always gets worse before it gets better!

13. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 15, 2011

That goes for me, too. It always takes me a little bit of time to just get accustomed to being back in my classroom!

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

I spend at least that long doing the same thing. It really does feel like I'm working, but I'm sure that to any outside observer it looks like I'm just sitting in the middle of the floor spacing out. :lol:

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 15, 2011

Our first day back is the 29th. I went in to start organizing things today. You see, our carpets get cleaned during the summer and all of the furniture gets moved. While all the furniture gets put back in the classroom, it doesn't get placed in the same place it was originally in. It took me 4 hours to do this today...plus set up my computer. I feel so much more organized and I am glad I went in! I will go in at least 1-2 more days before the 29th.

16. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 15, 2011

Was sick at the end of the year and a retiring teacher also handed me tons of materials and books. I ended up piling boxes on top of the cabinets, emptied my desk into bins and stuffed them in my storage cabinet. What a mess to go through! Took me a couple of days just to sort through the books and materials! Another day to empty the cabinet and set up my desk. We have to be in school for 3 days before our pre-service week, so I used that time to work on it all. We can get into the building all summer, but for almost a month my furniture, etc was piled in the hall so my floors could be done. I actually spent several hours one day just scraping gum off the underside of the desks. YUK! Never did that before, but this last group was horrible with the gum.

I'm not happy with the room at the moment - I need another book shelf. I've got books in baskets on top of the full book shelf and another group of books is lined up on the cabinet in the back of the room in addition to my filing crates for each class. Just too cluttered! THey may have found a second book shelf for me that can be mounted on top of the one I have. Hubby will have a little carpentry to do to make it lovely - one side needs work, but at least I can have it looking neater. I start pre-service tomorrow. I don't feel ready.