When do you start getting jobs?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Rebecca1122, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Sep 7, 2009

So this year will be my first year as a sub...school hasn't started in MI yet, not until after Labor Day. My question is how soon after school begins do you start getting calls to sub? I imagine it would take a few weeks since teachers want to be there as much as possible to start off the year but maybe not....I ask because I am just eager to start! What have your experiences been?

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 7, 2009

I work for three school districts. They all started in August - 19th, 20th, and 27th.

I get all of my sub jobs on Aesop. I have worked nine days already. So far for this week, I have Tuesday and Friday booked.

Good luck to you!

4. azure

azure Companion

Sep 9, 2009

I work for one school district that has two high schools, two middle schools and 8 elementaries. The first day for students was Aug. 13. I've subbed every day including first day and I'm booked for the next 3 days. This is my 8th year. We started using AESOP last year. You have to check it constantly.

5. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Sep 9, 2009

I hate checking AESOP! I have to get up at 5am so I'm ready by 6 because that is when jobs start to get posted and sometimes I don't get a job until 8 if I even get a job. It's so frustrating. School started last Wednesday, I'm debating if I should be getting up at 5 yet...I hate getting up and having 2 or 3 cups of coffee in me and then not getting a job.

6. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 10, 2009

You should get some assignments no later than within 2 weeks.

7. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 10, 2009

What is Aesop?

8. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 10, 2009

I never bothered with checking but I get enough work probably because I can teach all grades because of my science degrees.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 10, 2009

Aesop is an online sub program that some districts use... rather than requesting a specific sub, it is just opened up, and a sub can log on and take it. At least that's my understanding of it from previous posts.

I have been very lucky to have a school that has wanted me every single day so far of the first week (I had to turn them down for the afternoon today as I had an interview!)

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2009

We have 67 schools in our district and so many subs that the list was closed. In spite of that abundance of schools and subs, we still sometimes have problems getting subs. So, I guess if you are a certified sub in my district, you could conceivably work every day that you wanted to.

11. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Sep 21, 2009

I think it depends on where you are. It is usually pretty normal to start subbing from the beginning of the school year around here because there are usually vacancies. I assumed this would not be the case this year due to all of the layoffs- but the state's budget was passed and the district discovered it didn't have to increase class sizes, thus there were vacancies all over the district at the beginning of the year.

I can sub nearly every day of the year, with the exception seeming to be at the very end of the year.

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2009

At the end of last year I was getting a ton of calls, but they haven't really started yet. I've gotten a couple of same day calls through the automated system, but don't feel comfortable enough with subbing to take them, so I haven't worked yet, but I imagine after the first month sub calls will pick up. I also have an interview with another district for per diem subbing this week so hopefully I'll get on that list and then have a better chance of working.