When do you see your class list?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by MissFroggy, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

We make our class lists ourselves, so we now in May before the school year is out. They do change over the summer and during the first week of school as students are still registering!

2. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

well, kids start on the 13th, we probably won't get it until the 10th. I want it on the 6th when I go to work in my room

3. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I got my class list in June, and we also had transition meetings. Does anyone else there have transition meetings in June? I met with the K teacher and she gave me some insight into the level of the kids, and some strategies that have worked for her with them.

4. teachkids

teachkids Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

We usually don't get it until Aug. 23, and school starts on Aug. 28
    I'm going in next week to get mine. Of course it will be tentative, but I want to get a few things listed for the first few days.

5. labcoat101

labcoat101 New Member

Aug 4, 2007

How do you gear up?

Hello, fellow educators! I am new to this site---this is my first message! After 15 years of teaching, I find myself in a new position--I can't gear up for a new year. The excitement of a new year just isn't here this time. If anyone has experienced this "burned to a crisp" feeling, please share. What worked for you? All ideas or suggestions appreciated. Teachers report back in 2 weeks. Yikes!!

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

School starts on the 20th and we'll get our lists at our first day of teacher meetings on the 13th. Students' families can call the office to find out who their teacher is going to be, but the lists aren't given to us yet, because there are still a number of students registering or withdrawing at this point.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

Our parents can't find out what class their child is in before the first day of school. In the past, this has led to too many requests for students to be moved for a variety of reasons (don't want a split grade, want/don't want a certain teacher, Suzie doesn't have her best friend in her class, etc). As these requests are not honoured anyway, it saves lots of phone calls and office visits during that busy week before class begins.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

Ok, I am not a traditional teacher, but was wondering who got their class list and kind of moaned to themselves after reading the list??

9. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

School starts Sept. 4th and I got my list last week! I've already had a chance to review cum files which was great being completely new to the area. At my last school we got the list the week before school started (and still had changes throughout the first week).

10. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

About an hour after we get our lists (the day before school starts), they post them on the cafeteria windows and there is a big Popsicle Social outside. They announce that they should not go to their classrooms because the teachers are still working...but I usually open the door and say hello because I know the parents and kids will feel better the next day if I do!

11. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Got ours Friday. School starts next Thursday. I'm very excited--got some GREAT kids!

12. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Aug 4, 2007

This is what I was told happens at my new school too!:eek:
    I wanted to send home a "Welcome to My class" letter, but my principal said the class lists are highly hush-hush, and that we would not recieve lists until Open House so word would not get out "who has who". I am at a small (2 teacher per grade) private school, and parents are not allowed to make teacher requests, so to avoid any issues, it's a last minute thing.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 4, 2007

I have a feeling I will be doing that this year. There is a very loud screamer coming to my grade level this year.

I've actually had dreams about finding him on my class list. In my dream, he wasn't on my list and I was soooo happy, but then I looked again and he was the first on my list even though alphabetically that wouldn't work.:eek:

14. teachkids

teachkids Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Of course...I was warned by the third grade teachers. It wasn't fair to dump ALL of them in one class, so they split them up between the straight fourth and my 4/5 split ( two each). I can only hope that mine have moved.

15. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

I don't have my list yet, but the whole incoming 4th grade has a bit of a reputation at my school for being challenging. There are some students who I'm already praying for, no matter if they end up in my room or not, since with only 2 fourth grade teachers, I'll no doubt end up with at least some of those challenging students. :unsure:

16. teachkids

teachkids Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I know how you feel.

17. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

We got our class list last Monday. I'd imagine we'll get an updated one on Thursday since we have Academic Night that night and parents will be showing up with their children. I don't care too much about my list since the names don't mean much too me. I don't write student names on anything until I see the "whites of their eyes" at Academic Night or the first day of school.

18. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 5, 2007

We get our lists on the first day we go back.... July 9th. We send home postcards that day telling the students who their teacher is. I did actually get a peek at my list last week and did not recognize any names... which is a good thing! I usually know the names of the "bad" students coming up!:haha:

19. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2007

The 1st grade teachers kinda put bugs in my ear about the "trouble" kids which I didn't like. Ironically, those kids who they warned me about are perfectly fine. They are talkative, but nothing like what the teachers said (knock on wood). I think everyone's personalities mesh in different ways & I am looking forward to working with these children whom everyone warned me about throughout the whole school.:( :p I like them already!

(By the way, if anybody is wondering how I know the kids already is because I have them for summer school.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.