When Do You Reply to Emails?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 27, 2013

Just out of curiosity, when do you reply to emails at home & at work?

I'm literally on the computer daily at home & just about daily at work, so I reply back pretty fast...anywhere from minutes to later that day. If I don't reply back for days, it's because I'm intentionally not replying right away. This is pertaining to certain personal emails.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2013

School email I check and respond first thing in morning, at lunch time, during my prep period and right after school.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2013

This.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 27, 2013

I check my email for work all the time. I only reply during contract hours, though.

I really don't get much personal email anymore. I get it all through Facebook messages.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2013

I keep my school email open at all times during the school day. We frequently get messages from admin throughout the day and are expected to read the messages ASAP. I check it during my prep periods, passing periods, and any time I am at my desk. I reply to school emails either as soon as I read the message (if it's an easy response) or during my prep period (if it's something that requires research or an in-depth, thoughtful response). I do often check my school email outside of contract hours, but I usually don't respond until I'm back at school. (I like to check my school email in the evenings and on weekends because I don't like to be blindsided in the morning at school.)

I rarely check my private email, usually because people don't really email me. Most people who want to get in touch with me know that texting me or sending me a message through Facebook are the best and quickest ways to reach me.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 27, 2013

I usually respond to school emails after school. My planning period is the very first thing in the morning and often we just haven't gotten many e-mails yet. I only get 30 minutes for lunch (20 by the time I drop off the kids, use the restroom, and get out of my food), and I eat in the staff lounge so I can talk to other teachers during this time. I have been leaving right after contract time to get a workout in (won't go if I wait too late) so that really only leaves after school. Luckily my school just does not send very many e-mails. I don't know if it's different b/c of the school or the job, but when I taught sped I'd get 25 e-mails a day easily. Now I might get 2-3 and most of them are just schedule updates or general announcements from the P that I don't have to respond to.

ETA: My personal e-mail comes to my phone. The only e-mails I get that really require a response are from my parents, which I answer within a day or two. I refuse to have my work e-mail on my phone. I don't need to be THAT connected to work and sometimes I need a true "break." I purposely don't check school e-mails until Sunday night on weekends.

8. PolarBear

PolarBear Rookie

Jan 27, 2013

My phone is synched to the District's email, documents, and calendar through Google. As a result, all emails, changes in schedule, appointments, meetings, meeting requests, etc come to my phone in real time, 24/7. I can respond to any of those in the same fashion. As others have mentioned, some emails require a timely response, others will get deferred until after school.

All my personal emails are also synched to the phone, but I don't read or respond to them during the school hours (different account on the phone, easy to distinguish).

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 28, 2013

All the time. I get email on my phone so I'm pretty good about emailing right back.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2013

This is what I do.

My school email does come to my phone, so I do check at home as well, but I don't always respond.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 28, 2013

We don't have a calling tree to let us know that school is closed. Our P sends us an email. That is the main reason my work email is connected to my phone. I wouldn't have known it was posted on TV that we didn't have school today. By that time, I would have been showered & dressed.

12. physteach

physteach Companion

Jan 28, 2013

We have a 24 hour rule for responding to parent and student emails. If I get an email that is going to be particularly difficult to answer without emotions coming through, I reply on the upper end of the 24 hours.

13. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 28, 2013

For personal emails, I check and respond throughout the day as long as I'm not at work or in class. I'm usually near either my phone or a computer. I'm just starting a new position and I'm not sure it'll involve a significant number of emails, but I doubt it.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 28, 2013

I usually read them quickly when I get into school but might not be able to respond to them right away unless it's extremely urgent. I don't get planning or lunch periods so I just get to them when I can.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 28, 2013

I leave my work email (Outlook) opened throughout the day and there's a little "alert" that goes off as soon as I receive a new email. If I'm not in the middle of a lesson, I run over to my computer as soon as I hear the alert, but if the reply is going to take more than a minute or so, I wait to respond during recess or lunch. At times, my principal sends us FYIs, so there's no need for me to write a response.

I also check my work email at home and on the weekends.

One day last month, my principal and vice-principal were both ill and I needed to step in and cover for them. My principal emailed me at 11pm and I quickly typed up sub plans because I would be needed in the office all day long the following day.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 29, 2013

I check mine throughout the day. Since my planning is first thing in the day, I sometimes get emails from admin I need to know about. Plus, the intercom in my trailer is broken, so I don't want to miss anything (like for example when admin emailed everyone to let us know the 3 hour snow release had been changed to a 4 the other day. I didn't hear the intercom message!) If I can reply in 30 seconds I will. Otherwise I do it after school.