When do you "officially" go back?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by love_reading, Jul 28, 2007.

1. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I know that many of us prep during the summer and go in early to set up our rooms (especially when we move classrooms like me this year!:eek: ). I was just curious as to when everyone's "official" first day is? That is, contract day and then the kid's first day. We go back August 20th and have 3 days of meetings. The kids arrive August 23. I like that we go back on a Thursday and get to ease into it! lol

3. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

We go back on August 6 and have weeklong meetings and classroom prep time. The kids come back August 13.

4. latybug

latybug Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

My first official report date is August 8th. Kids come on August 14th, a Tuesday. Summer is quickly passing away.:unsure: Sad because I won't be watching my grandson anymore but happy because I'm starting at a new school.

5. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I have to return on Monday morning for two weeks of pre-service training and then the students start on August 13.

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

We have professional development days Aug. 29 & 30 and we see kids for a half day on September 4th! Michigan passed a law that kids can't go back until after Labor Day. Something to do with tourism. So now our state puts tourism above school!!!

7. Leanne7b

Leanne7b Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I go for week long trainings on the 20th and the kids start on the 27..but I am a first year teacher so I really have stuff 5 other days in August before that :)

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

I go back Aug. 13 and the kiddos come Aug. 20

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

Aug.1st for teachers and 7th for students.

10. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Wow! That's early. When do you get out for summer? We got out really late this year, it was like June 8th or something. We usually get out before Memorial Day, but we had a really bad ice storm last winter and the electricity was out for most of the city for several days, downed lines, branches all over, etc. Some people didn't have electricity for two weeks! Needless to say, we had to make up the days we were out. Our summer is a little bit shorter. :(

11. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Teachers report Aug. 9 and kids come on the 16th.

12. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

ranger, where are you located in MO? I am in Springfield.

13. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I actually live in Crocker which is about 12 miles from Fort Leonard Wood, but I teach at Iberia another small town north of Crocker.

14. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

I go back on the 27th with students on the 30th.
    My children in a different district start after Labor Day.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2007

As a second year teacher (even though it'll be my second and a half year, hehe) I'm contracted to go back on August 2 to work in my room. The next day is a mentor meeting. The following week we have 3 days of staff meetings and 2 days to work in our rooms. We had a lot of construction done and my room was completely rebuilt, so I'll probably be there every spare moment setting up.

Kids come back August 13.

16. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jul 29, 2007

July 26 & 27 new teacher induction
    July 30 first day for all teachers
    My school is new fom the ground up so we will get into our rooms mid-week after meetings and trainings, Open House August 3, and kids start August 6

I am really excited about a great year!

17. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Wow... lots of early starts.
    The first teacher day is Aug. 22. First day with students is Aug 27 (a Monday!--last year we got to ease into it... 3 day week started on Wed., then a 4 day week for Labor Day, then our first 5 day week!)

18. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

We officially go back August 13, kids come August 20.

We're allowed to get the keys to our classroom as early as August 6, which I plan to do! :love:

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

The students' first day is September 4th. The school is open the last week in August for us to set up and work in our rooms, but there are no meetings and our hours are flexible. Some teachers are in long hours every day that week and some are only in for a couple of hours--whatever works.

20. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I never realized so many schools started in August. Our district has always started after Labor Day. My first day is August 28 (4 days of meetings and such) and then school starts on Sept 4 with a minimum day.

I have my classroom key but the janitor hasn't cleaned from last year (the teacher retired and took a while to move out). I am going to be gone the first 2 weeks in August. It is making me nervous!

21. teach1stgrade

teach1stgrade Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I go back on Aug. 20th for a weeks worth of meetings. The kids come back on Aug. 27th!

Texas passed a law to push back the start date! AND.....I'm lovin' it!

22. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Okay, pretty close then. I went to undergrad with a teacher who ended up getting a job in Iberia. Don't know if she is still there, though.

23. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Wow that will be nice to come back to a new room! I'm jealous!! There is a teacher in one of my grad classes who is moving to a newly built school for next year. I think it would be so nice to work in a bright, clean, modern environment. Do you have lots of space?

24. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Wow! Another new school! Okay, I would just settle for air conditoning! :(

25. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2007

I went to see my classroom on Monday. It looked big but that was because it had nothing in it, no sink, no boards, no carpet. It is a longer and narrower shape than the other classrooms which are almost square. I heard from another school with the same layout that it's the same size, just looks bigger, but then I keep hearing rumors at my school that it's supposed to be bigger, and have built in storage. However, when I went in, they kept referring to the other new room as the "big room." So maybe that's what people were referring to. I don't understand why they didn't make them the same size though!

26. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

i start back with pre-planning tomorrow. I am excited but am dreading it...very mixed feelings. I can't wait to meet my new students but don't want to give up my summer!

27. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I start Aug. 21st and the students start Aug. 27th:)

28. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I start Aug. 20th, the kids start Aug. 27th. I plan to go to the school tomorrow and Tuesday to work in my room as I'll be out of town the rest of the week and busy next week. We are starting later this year, and I still feel like my summer has flown by!

29. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Whats her name it's a small K-12 school? My sister and her family live in Ozark and she works for Heavy Duty and her husband works for St. John's.:rolleyes:

30. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

You know, I am horrible with names. All I remember is her first name which is Tammy. I know she had a daughter who would probably be about 12-13 years old now.

31. Grade1&2

Grade1&2 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I start on the 20th and the kids on the 27th. I can't wait to work in my classroom but I don't think I will have access to my room before the 20th.

32. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I go back on 9/4 but the kiddies dont come in until the 6th. Summer is slipping away!

33. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Miss Kirby, mine this year also is long and skinny. I have been going over a few hours a week to try to organize and move in. It has been challenging though because no matter what I put on either side I don't have room for the desks in the 4 desk pod grouping I am used to! You may have to adjust your center tables and stuff too. It is keeping me awake at night trying to configure it all out in my head in a way that all my junk will fit! It helps if you don't have many centers or library books, but I have tons of both! Good luck! :rolleyes: :haha: :woot:

34. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Miss Kirby, I have the same problem you do! My new room is very long (more space) but skinny! And with a kidney table on one side and a center table on the other there is no room for the desks the way I like them in groups of 4. It is keeping me awake at night moving it all round and around in my mind! I hope you don't have lots and lots of center games and library books like me. It is hard to place things the way I have always done it! :eek:

35. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

My sister thought that she heard that Michigan added 7 minutes to each day to be able to go Memorial Day- Labor Day. I think you are LUCKY to have such a long, wonderful summer! I would love to have the extra time!

36. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I'm out in Arizona. The teachers go back to school August 7th for meetings and planning/prep. Students roll in August 13th!

I've been setting up my room since last week :) So I'm ready to get the party rolling... I'm going to miss my daily naps though ;)

37. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

No, that is not true...yet. We still go past Labor Day. This year I got out June 8th and my own kids get out June 15th. We aren't adding any minutes to our day. There has been lots of talk about his so we shall see what happens in the next few years.

38. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Back to School

Teachers report on Aug 15 and students come back on Aug 20.

I have been working off and on in my room since I moved schools and have tons of things to unpack and set-up my classroom:rolleyes: :help:
    Good Luck All!!!

39. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

We had teacher orientation/classroom setting up today and we have more tomorrow. It's basically set-up-your-classroom time right through Monday. Then we have an open house Monday night and school offically starts on Wednesday (the 29th).

40. lilymoo

lilymoo Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I start the day after Labor Day. Only one more week of summer! :( I really don't want it to end! I am getting nervous thinking about the beginning being so near. Where did the summer go?

41. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Tomorrow will be the end of week #3. It feels good to be getting into "the groove". Only 6 more weeks until report cards and fall intercesion! I forget that many schools are still on summer break.