When do you like to START listening to Christmas Music?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Oct 17, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 17, 2009

You know everything is moved forward. Our Walmart has nearly the entire back room set up with Christmas lights, wrap, and accessories.

We have a radio station in Chicago that will start will Christmas 24/7 REALLY REALLY early (well before Thanksgiving). Some LOVE it...some HATE it!

When would YOU prefer to START listening?

And when do you INSIST that it's banned for the (next?) season?

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 17, 2009

I NEVER mind listening to Christmas music. So if it starts on November 10th, I would start listening the whole time. (But I find when i start too early I get bored with the limited play list -on the radio- before Christmas actually hits.)

I am NOT one of those who likes it ONLY the week before Christmas because it's a BIG part of setting the mood for me.

And when to turn it off?

It's a sad day when the radio station goes back to a regular format...then I am usually pulling out Chirstmas CDs for about a week or so after that.

SOmetimes i will grab a Christmas CD for the car in the summer - just to give me a shot of Christmas happiness.

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2009

Whenever the moods strikes me, I sing/hum a bit of it, but now I am going to play the silliest Christmas CD that I bought in CA.
    I think it's called Bubba's Christmas. You will :lol: if you hear some of the crazy songs on it.:D
    Rebel1

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

I don't listen to Christmas music until after the last meal is finished on Thanksgiving day. :D Then it is full force Christmas music until probably three or four days after Christmas. I love to listen to Christmas music, and sometimes I will pull it out occasionally, but at the same time, I want to honor Thanksgiving, so I don't do it before Thanksgiving.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2009

ohhh this is a sore spot for me!
    I HATE when stores, radio etc... start any kind of holiday stuff too early.
    I love the holidays, I just don't want to see halloween decorations and costumes in the stores when I am shopping for tank tops and flip flops in July.....just as much as I don't want to see hearts and cupids when I am buying my halloween candy!

As for Chsritmas music, I refuse to listen to it (I will change the station) until after Thanksgiving.

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 17, 2009

Maybe the reason that i like to listen to it earlier than Thanksgiving is that I don't like Thanksgiving.

I think that if you are grateful ALL the time and SAY thanks that IT isn't neceissary...but also...

I hate turkey (I think that matters more than I might imagine in this hatred). I hate the disfunctional family drama (thought my family was ok...but the ex's.. WOW!). And seriously? The best part about the day is figuring out my shopping list for the 5am shopping blitz the next morning!!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

I know the radio stations around me used to start the day after Thanskgiving and that was the perfect time for me. Last year, they started the first day of Nov. That was too early for me. I would turn it on when the mood struck, but didn't turn it on full time until after Thanksgiving.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2009

Just throughout the month of December really. Time zips by too fast as it is, I don't wan to rush it more. :)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 17, 2009

Me, too. December. When I was a kid, growing up Catholic, we really observed the season of Advent. It was the time of waiting for Christmas, a time of prayer and preparation. In fact, my parents did not put up the tree until after we went to bed on Christmas Eve. I think it made it so much more special. I can't imagine waiting that long to put up a tree nowadays, but I'm sorry we've lost any true sense of anticipation.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 17, 2009

I typically start listenting to Christmas music while making Thanksgiving dinner. Anything before that is too soon for me. I'll even go so far as to boycott the stores that play Christmas music before mid-November. I was in Walmart the other day and they had a children's Christmas CD playing. No more Walmart until December! As for when do I stop listening...I hate it when the radio station goes back to it's regular playlist because I like to ease out of the holiday season. I tend to pull out the CDs and listen to them until mid-January.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2009

I like to hear music until Epiphany, the 12th day of Christmas. :)
    Typically I start listening the week of Thanksgiving.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

I start on Thanksgiving.

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 17, 2009

Those of us who do performances during the Christmas season have probably already started rehearsing and listening to it. I don't mind it, but by Christmas, I'll be over it. :D

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2009

Not a big fan of Christmas music and I especially dislike it when the radio stations begin to plays it.

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 17, 2009

The week of Thanksgiving!

17. Ross

Ross Comrade

Oct 17, 2009

The first week of December.

I have accumulated a large CD collection over the years and I am still looking for more.

18. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

Ummm...we had it on in our office last week! We listened to the Polar Express soundtrack.

19. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

McKennaL - I understand what you are saying, and yes, I am grateful all of the time. However, my family is NOT dysfunctional, so it is a great time for us to especially be thankful to being together. I just feel that people put too much of an emphasis on the commercial aspect of Christmas and forget the true meaning.

P.S. I do love getting my shopping list together as well. :wub:

20. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 17, 2009

I want to hear it from December 1-December 31, and never again until next December. I love Christmas, but there's only so much I can take, and hearing it in the stores before Thanksgiving is nauseating- could they be ANY pushier in trying to up their sales?

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2009

Same with me growing up. My parents wouldn't get the tree until eve, or a few times, ON christmas (that's ridiculous because well, the joy is waking up in the morning, not shopping around for a free tree, yes, they were very cheap!)

Now that I'm older and married, we have our own traditions!:wub: We ONLY DO CHRISTMASSY things in December. Not a minute earlier. We buy the tree about two weeks in. Lights go up about a week in. Advent calender starts day one!:D Normally, we do the Lego advent calender, but I think this year I want to try something different. Haven't decided what. Like, I was thinking little gifts. Like socks, undies, small treats, etc and buy one of those advent calender box thingies.

22. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

I LOVE Christmas music!!! :wub: I listen to it on and off all year long! However...I like the instrumental Christmas music, especially Trans Siberian Orchestra! I actually really hate a lot of Christmas music that radio stations play! You hear the same song like 30 times in one day...the only difference is that they are all sang by different people!

I'll just stick to the instrumental stuff!! :wub:

23. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

I don't as a general rule. The radios start playing it after Remembrance Day.

24. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 17, 2009

I love listening to Christmas music!! :) I'll start listening to it on Thanksgiving and stop right after Christmas.

I will admit, though, that the 3 years I worked retail during the holiday season made me so bitter and jaded; I got sick of hearing the same d--n Christmas album over and over again, and the people obsessed with material things (and yelling at me because we didn't have what they were looking for) made me sick. I didn't listen to Christmas music outside of work.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009

I COULD start now... but I prefer to wait until Thanksgiving. Everything in moderation. lol. I feel like its more special if it for only a certain time of the year. Plus, my BF would kill me. lol

26. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Oct 18, 2009

The evening of Thanksgiving starts the Christmas season at our home and it continues until New Year's eve. I love Christmas music but not year long!

27. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

After Thanksgiving day. I listen to it all the way through Christmas as well as watch as many christmas themed movies as possible.

28. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Oct 18, 2009

I like to start listening to Christmas music on Thanksgiving. I like it until New Years.

I was at a department store a couple weeks ago that had a Christmas section, along with Christmas music. That's just wrong.

I agree that when I worked retail, I didn't want anything to do with Christmas music outside of work! I was lucky enough that the person at the register was able to choose the music, so it at least varied.

29. Kase

Kase Companion

Oct 19, 2009

I like listening to Christmas music but only on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. It irritates me when they start playing it so far in advance all the time. They don't need to play it that much.

30. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 19, 2009

I start the day after Thanksgiving when I'm out shopping!

31. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 19, 2009

ditto.

But I make exceptions for The Messiah, Mannaheim Steamroller and a Gaelic CD I have. I love those.