When do you go back to your classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SummerIsTooLong, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 16, 2015

Oh wow! I know there's teachers in my district who probably haven't even started thinking much about the upcoming year yet. Not me, though.

2. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Jul 16, 2015

We are not allowed back into the building until the week before the students return. It can be frustrating because that week is VERY busy and we have a lot of mandatory meetings/PDs to attend. It can also be frustrating because the para's are constantly dropping off student editions and other classroom materials. As a result, we end up trying to organize tons of materials while setting up the classroom and preparing student materials for the first week. It is a lot but somehow we manage :)

3. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 20, 2015

We are allowed back on campus next week but are required to report back August 3rd. Students first day is August 5th. It's coming up so quickly!

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2015

We had to turn in our keys like YTG said, but I was going in so much because I changed rooms that the custodians just leave my door unlocked. I am taking a break this week and most of next week because I have been in quite a bit this summer. If I only could go in two weeks before school, I wouldn't like that and I wouldn't have moved. I am just glad that we can go anytime once our rooms are done.

5. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 20, 2015

That is the million dollar question! My last day of teaching summer school is this Thursday. (I'm teaching in a different district from my home district). I have been on multiple interviews this summer. So I could go back as soon as:

Aug 3, Aug 12, Aug 17, or Aug 24.....Your guess is as good as mine. Yay uncertainty and waiting till the last possible min

6. 2nd gr teacher

2nd gr teacher Rookie

Jul 20, 2015

My district, in Delaware, encourages teachers to meet over the summer. We have to complete a certain amount of hours out of school; therefore we use 7 hours in the summer. We are no allowed in our classrooms until the week before school starts. Personally, if I could spend all summer in my classroom, I would. BUT I feel that the more time you have, the slower you work, and the more you do that is not necessary...that's just my opinion. I feel that the less time you have, the better you prioritize. Because we all know that teachers could spend A LOT of time in their classrooms but it is not necessary. Just do some work/reading/research/ on topics that were your weakness last year but limit your time and enjoy your summer because you are best when you have had time to regain your energy. Teaching can be draining. Prioritize. Prioritize. Prioritize and RELAX.

7. cybergal5184

cybergal5184 Rookie

Jul 21, 2015

Only 2 more weeks for me. Such a busy time.