When do you go back and are you making any changes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chemteach55, Jan 1, 2012.

1. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2012

Teachers go back on Thursday and students come back on Friday. My whole school is making a major grading change. I am not sure how I like this being done in the middle of a course but for the second semester, we have to allow students to make up any failed test and their grade will be the average of the 2 tests. We also have to give some sort of bonus assignment. I already do this by allowing students to make test corrections using a test correction journal that makes them give the correct answer, where was that question in their notes or textbook, and why was their thinking originally incorrect. If it is completed for every missed question on the test, they get 5 bonus points. Since we already have to make grading changes I am going to make one of my own. Each students starts with a grade of 100 on homework and classwork and lose 3 points every time an assignment is not completed. I am going to add participation into that grade. They will lose 5 points every time I catch them playing a computer game when they are working in groups or not paying attention to instructions.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 1, 2012

Our classes are on a semester basis and we're working on an overhaul of several items, including the order in which we present the material. Normally, we'd do this over the summer, but our new supervisor would rather we not wait.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2012

Nope. :)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2012

We go back on Tuesday. The big change that my school is implementing is a schoolwide detention system for kids who are not following the expectations.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2012

Going back Tuesday. We'll be launching into some new units of study, but no big changes in what we regularly do...no need to change what's working.:)

7. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Jan 1, 2012

I will be giving homework.

Using prep time for assessments.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2012

I hate giving participation grades, but I might have to do something like that. The wasting time on the computer is getting ridiculous, and I have kids speeding through their work to play tetris, or some kids just not doing it at all. I can't see all the screens at once unless I am planted at my desk staring at the Vision software. But that's not realistic.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2012

That is exactly why I am going to start a participation grade. I have taught at 1:1 laptop schools for many years but this has been the worst year yet. My juniors and seniors in physics and AP Biology are very concerned about their grades and do not play games. The freshmen and sophomores are the worst. All they want to do is play computer games. The same child who has no idea to save a Word document that they need to study for a test has the ability to hack into the school computer system and install games that they are not supposed to have.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 1, 2012

We go back next Monday. :) I'll be making a lot of changes in the area of assessment, parent communication, and guided reading. I'm excited!

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 1, 2012

I like your participation grade idea, chem. I used to do daily points but found it too cumbersome to keep track of. I like the idea of only having to deal with it if someone gets points taken away.

My biggest change is tightening up. I feel like some of my students got a little too relaxed toward the end of the semester. I had too many "I forgot it at home" or "I left it in my locker". Time to start growing up, and preparing for the rigor of high school.

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2012

I have a 3 line gradebook--I record grades on the first line, absences on the second line, and on the 3rd line, I was putting a purple or green dot if they did not do an assignment and I will put a red dot if it is a participation issue since I am doing different points for them. Every week or 2 I will subtract from their 100 in my grade program and seeing that grade going down does not make parents happy with their children.