When do you get your class lists?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mailman, Jun 30, 2013.

1. mailman

mailman New Member

Jun 30, 2013

I am going to be potentially teaching a lot of the same kids next year so even though this year just ended, I'll be curious to see who I have again.

When do you get to see your class lists for the next year?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 30, 2013

It's varied greatly for me. At one school, we got a preliminary list before school was out and one school usually waited until the day before students came.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

Saw it briefly right before school ended...changes could be made...official list I'll see by first week in August.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 30, 2013

I already have my list. Of course, it might change if someone moves or if someone new registers, but I don't expect any major changes.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

At my current school the class lists are passed out a few weeks before school starts. Grade levels are responsible for putting together a newsletter that introduces each teacher and then each teacher mails the newsletters to their new students (school provides envelopes and postage).

At my school in Idaho the class lists were posted on the front doors less than a week before school started. One year I didn't get my class list until the evening before the first day of school.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

We got a tentative list on the last day of school. I know there will be changes before school starts, and probably more changes during the first few weeks of school (brand new school).

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

We get ours the Thursday before the first day of school (always on a Monday). Changes can occur until Monday.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 30, 2013

We have an electronic grading book, so around the beginning of August, the secretaries begin to upload the new students into each teacher's gradebook, so I'll see a preliminary list that grows from 5 to about 25 over the next few days. We don't get our "official" list until about 3 days before the first day of school. It's such a pain because I always have a few students who don't show, show up late, or different students added at the last minute, so I spend the first few weeks remaking nametags, relabelling coat closet cubbies, my door display (i like to put each child's name in my class) etc

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

We got ours the day before school ended but it wasn't shared with students in case of any changes. The kids will find out in the August letter that gets mailed home with the students. My list has already changed- one of my boys was disenrolled for not living in our town... :dizzy:

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

My principal doesn't like to share class lists until we officially return in August (we go back one week prior to students).

I'm good friends with the office manager and she showed me my list on the last day of school. It's already full (24 students) and I'm slated to have several siblings of former kiddos.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

The classes are already made, but we don´t get them until that first week back before classes start. I am super excited because I will have the son of a very famous Mexican rock band, which I also happen to be a fan of (heard this from our former team leader). When DH and I were first dating that was one of the first cds he bought me of Mexican music.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2013

I saw my list but changes will be made as I'm sure kids will leave and new kids will come. There's also a few changes that might end up happening after school starts in order to make sure all my special ed. kiddos are in the right places. Kind of annoying- it would be easier for teachers/kids if these things could get ironed out before school starts.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

The day of meet the teacher! Half of the kindergarten class doesn't register until the week before school starts.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

Near the end of last year.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

We usually get it on the first day of school, maybe the day before.

17. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 30, 2013

We get our class lists the day before school. Of course, we have over 100 students per team, so the counselors have a ton of coordinating to do.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 30, 2013

We get them on opening day, which is the day before the kids arrive.

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 30, 2013

We got ours about three weeks before school ended. It will inevitably change a little bit over the summer and we will get updated lists a week or two before we go back.

20. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 30, 2013

We got them the last week of school, but they are of course subject to transfers/new students.

21. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 30, 2013

I've had mine for a couple of weeks, but it is still subject to change as the office tries to balance out each section.

22. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 30, 2013

Will probably get it about 10 minutes before "meet the teacher" the day before school starts. Last year it was literally handed to me as parents and students were walking in the door. I am moving up this year so could potentially have some of my students from last year. I am anxious to see how many are in my home room and how many I will have for reading and math since we switch in 3rd grade at this school (a new experience from the last time I taught 3rd)

23. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 30, 2013

We usually start seeing class lists when teachers officially return to school. Lists have to be posted by the Thursday before school starts for our Meet the Teacher Night. However, I've logged into our attendance system in mid-July and have been able to see my list, too. It just depends on how quickly our front office staff gets lists inputted.

24. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

In late May when we put our classes together I saw that I have 24, up from 19. I won't get names until the first workday in August.

25. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

:eek: Is that normal at your school? Did you at least have a head count?

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

Hopefully by Open House, which is during per-school week. This district cut several positions at our school, and scheduling right now is a nightmare.

27. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jul 1, 2013

Hmmmm....let's see....we go back August 28th, so probably August 27th. (Seriously) :confused:

28. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 1, 2013

Pisces_Fish,

I have had occasions when I've had it a little before that but not much since I've been here in GA but not too much before, maybe a day or so. Seriously though, the past 3 or 4 years I've been handed my list right before the kids are allowed in for "meet the teacher". I then get three or four kids added during the couple of hours. I usually prepare for 25 and pray that it doesn't go over that. This year I might have to prepare for 30 just to be safe.

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

30? Oh goodness!

30. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 1, 2013

TamiJ,

Yep, my thoughts exactly, we were told to expect more than we had last year and I had 24 most of the year. I am praying it doesn't go to 30, it was exciting enough with 24; am afraid to imagine 6 more. You can definitely tell it's non-educators setting the class size rules.

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2013

Teachers return August 8. I might get it that day, but more probably on August 9. Students return on Monday, August 12. Oh, how I wish I had my class list! I'd love to send out a postcard!

32. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 1, 2013

We get our class lists a few days before school starts. Usually the day before Meet the Teacher.