When do you get to see IEP's?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by rchlkay, Jul 28, 2007.

1. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jul 28, 2007

This year I'm working a split job, morning at one school, afternoon at another. The kids I have in the morning I had last year so I'm familiar with their IEP's and I feel relatively confident about the plans I've made for the year. However, I haven't seen IEP's or met any of the kids I will have in the afternoon. I worked with 4th-6th grade last year but my afternoon group will be Kindergarten and First grade. It's also been hinted that my little guys have more severe disabilities than any of the others I work with. I asked when I could see IEP's for the young kids and was told that they didn't even have the new K's yet because they're coming from a different school. So, my question is, when has everyone else gotten to see IEP's? How do you plan if you don't know what goals you're working toward? I know I probably won't see students until the second week but my other problem with this is I have to have my purchase orders in now and I'm at a loss as to what to order when I don't know what I'm teaching for half a day. Any suggestions?

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

I get my IEPs a week or 2 before school starts. Sometimes I do not even get them until the first day of work. I have to say one summer I got them in July because I had a student teacher in the Fall and wanted her to be prepared to know who she was getting.

Are you new to the district? I was wondering if you could call up the teacher that just had them and ask about their ability levels so that you know what to purchase. Or could you ask the Director of Special Services if he or she could suggest what to purchase for the K?

The best bet I do is purchase stuff from Lakeshore for level K or ages 3-5. Hopefully this helps.

4. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Thanks for the reply. I'm not new to the district but do have a different position this year. (Last year I was full-time at one school 4-6, this year half a day 4-6 and then drive to a new school for K-2 half a day.) I did talk to our SpEd director and she said she'd pass them on when she go them. Problem is the kids are all new to the district since we don't have Pre-K SpEd. I was more curious as to when everyone else got to see them.

I have been looking at the Lakeshore catalog but where to start! Does anyone use Remedia? There are a few books that look interesting for my older kids. I've already picked up markers, crayons, folders, that sort of thing because I know I'll use all of that. My schools also have great supply rooms with dry erase markers, glue, paper, etc. that I can raid when I need to. What I'm looking for now are more specific books or activities that are geared toward the younger child who is autistic, nonverbal, or moderately mentally impaired. From what the director said, that will cover three of my seven students. No idea about the others yet.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

I love using Remedia. They are very simple and perfect for Sp Ed children. For example, the book on Colors just works on one color at a time and have a few pages on that color.

In Lakeshore, you might want to purchase some Language Arts Games (alphabet, consonants, vowels, sight words) and Math Games (numbers, one-to-one correspondence, counting). They have a ton of Hands on Activities.

Another great catalog to look into is PCI. It is great for ordering speical education materials.

Hope this helps!!!

6. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I'm at the high school level - I'm lucky to send out the IEPs by the end of the first week of school. Due to so many schedule changes it's crazy to get them out any sooner - if I did I'd be spinnning my wheels all week passing them out, collecting them back up, passing them out.....and so on.

I know it's hard for those teachers who need them, but I can only do the best I can do within the system I"m given.