When do you dive into your regular curriculum?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ~Nicole, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Man, I hate being a new teacher and not knowing anything :grin: my cooperating teachers "do not like to be contacted until the first contract day" so I can't ask them anything.

When do you get into your regular curriculum? We have early release on the first day and start school on a Monday this year.

3. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Sounds like an oxymoron to call them cooperating teachers lol. I'd hope they would want to help you make the best and easiest transition that you can, even if it just means a few email back and forth. I plan on starting right on the second/third day of school. Can you find your district's curriculum on online so you can start planning at least?

4. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

The school I taught at last year started on a Thursday, so I found it was best to spend those first couple days on getting to know you activities and going over class schedules, routines, and expectations. By Friday afternoon, the kids were well aware and were all organized (pencils sharpened and all!) so when Monday came...they were ready to roll. Since you said you have some half days, I would start normal study on your first full day.

Oh- and I was a new teacher last year and my team was horrible and never helped me out. They were anti-new teachers. Therefore I was used to doing things on my own. It's not easy at first, but if you put your mind to it and get started now, you will feel much more calm the first day. Good luck!

5. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

I've looked and looked but I can't seem to find the curriculum online. I have the teacher editions for Math, Reading and Science (Social Studies is new this year-no one has them yet as far as I know).

I like to plan and plan-flexible structure is what I call it. I may not always set out to do what I have planned but I always want to have a plan in place.

6. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Planning flexibly based on your knowledge of the curriculum is all you can do- you're doing the right thing. Have as much planned as possible when it comes to other things like your classroom management, reading program, expectations, etc. Good luck :)

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

I think I usually get into some things on the 2nd/3rd day of school, but not everything until the 1st full week of school. I'm sure you'll do great! I know personally, I always start with reading, math, and language arts and then bring in science and ss.

8. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2007

Have you tried talking to your Vice-Principal? I know that the team that I am on, there are two teachers who want everyone to do their work for them. I heard this from about 6 of the other 17 teachers for 3rd grade. The only plus is that I'll be working with another new teacher, a decent veteran, and the head of our grade who is great!

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

I am doing some things on the first full day of school, and will be in it full time the second full day.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

I teach SPED and I need to get structure going from day one so we will begin some lessons the first day.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

I start teaching the curriculum somewhere between the 3rd and 5th day, little by little. I know I am starting writing on the third day this year because the students will be introduced to their writer's notebooks. Science may start the following day. I believe math and reading will start the Monday of week two, yet the team may decide on switching earlier.

12. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I usually start around the 3rd day. The first two days are usually spent on getting to know you activties and learning all of the procedures, etc. I teach first grade and going over and rehearsing the procedures is key.

13. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

I'm in Kindergarten, so we take it slow. We begin to delve into programs partially after about 4 days, but fully until October.
    When I did 5th two years ago, we started the second day.

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

Our state does the testing in early March so I have to start my curriculum right away...by day 3 at the latest in order to get everything in before state testing!! I plan it out on a quarterly map then break it down into weekly lesson plans.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2007

My curriculum guide has me testing/teaching the first full day to get everything in. It is crazy lol!

16. jules73

jules73 New Member

Jul 13, 2007

I am sorry to hear about your cooperating teachers! I was fortunate to have a great teammate (there are only two clases per grade at my school) but another new teacher in my building had an awful teamamate who went out of the way to make it hard for her. My suggestion is to find someone who IS willing to be a supporter. Another teacher who is fairly new might be more inclined to help since they recently went through what you will be going through.

So many have suggested having things like classroom management in place. For me figuring out how to organize things really threw me for a loop. I am a really organized person and the first few weeks seemed like a nightmare with all the paperwork. Now is the time to get folders ready (parent contact, blank files ready to be filled, etc). I spent many night trying to figure out the best way organize and wish I would have been more prepared before it all started coming in!

The first few days can be hectic with getting to know the kids, teaching about rules and procedures, etc. From the first day, my kids were writing, reading, and doing math in addition to the first days type activities. Definitely not as much as they would be doing the rest of the year, but I wanted to set the tone right away of what I expected. I also read a lot...so many probably hadn't picked up a book or been read to all summer unfortunately and it is good to get their minds back in school with some familiar books and some new ones.

Enjoy the first year. You will have ups and downs but it will be so memorable! It is a wonderfully rewarding profession!

17. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I will do some pretesting on the first day and then start in the curriculum on the second day. Incorporated into everything will be my rules/procedures/getting to know you activities, etc. The sooner you get the students into routines the better. Plus, by jumping into the curriculum early on, they realize you mean business when it comes to learning.

18. laughinglady

laughinglady Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

I also usually do getting to know you activities the first few days and you absolutely can't go over procedures and routines too much so we spend a lot of time on that. I usually will start quizzing on math facts the second day and listening to them read independently so that I can start grouping them.

19. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

I am little confused. You said that you are having trouble finding the curriculum online but you have your teacher editions. The teacher editions is the curriculum. You need to plan your teaching around the units in your T.E.'s. See how/when/if you can integrate two or more subjects at the same time. For example, in my state, for fifth grade science we have to teach about our solar system. Since one of our reading units is Astronomy, that will be when I teach those science standards.
    Did they give you some sort of pacing plan for reading/language arts? I have to start reading/language arts on Day 1 otherwise I will not get through the first 2 units by winter break. We won't get to start reading the first story on Day1, but I plan to do the Unit opener and at least spark some ideas about our first unit. Luckily since our first reading unit is "Cooperation/Competition" I can integrate it with rules and procedures quite easily.

20. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Interesting point of view. We have state standards, as well as district benchmarks, which we follow as our curriculum. The teacher's editions are merely resources from which to get ideas. We are strongly advised NOT to use our textbooks as curriculum guides, in fact.

Our kids start back to school on a Monday this year, so I expect to jump into the curriculum by Wednesday. We will do a lot of team-building, getting to know you activities, routines, procedures, goal-setting, etc in the first couple of days.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the understanding that most textbooks are written for either Texas or California standards as they are the "big" text book buyers. So if the textbook is written according to your state standards, you can plan units using just the teacher editions.

In my school textbooks are resources, not the curriculum. We have state benchmarks to follow. The textbooks don't necessarily cover everything that we are to cover & sometimes they have things we don't need to cover.

22. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

This is how the textbooks are in my district. In our science textbook for 4th grade, it covers four units. Only two are aligned with the state standards and that's stretching it a bit. I've known several teachers who have taught to the science textbook, which means that they're teaching two units they don't need to and neglecting two units that they actually need to teach.

23. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

Ohhh, I see what you mean. Yeah, our textbooks are alligned with our state standards. That is why we have the Open Court Reading police coming by to check that we are using the textbook exactly as it is written. We can and do use other resources but we are required to use the textbooks as a minimum.
    So I guess I am still kind of confused. So is it the state standards that Nicole needs help finding?

24. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

Wow! That's crazy! Our science texts are directly aligned to our state standards and I still have to use/buy supplementary resources because the text is so hard for the kids to understand. I can imagine how much money is spent to teach units that you don't even have textbooks for. Does the school help you out at all?

25. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Our textbook is above student's reading levels, too. It is not exactly student friendly, so I spent a considerable amount of time figuring out other ways to teach the content. We are adopting a new program called FOSS this upcoming year, so I hope that it does end up being more teacher and student friendly.

26. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Thanks Nicole! I am sitting at my desk right now trying to figure this out as well....you were reading my mind too. I am also a new first year teacher and this puzzles me because we never started student teaching until the middle of the school year..so i am quite puzzled as well. What grade are you teaching?

27. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

BuLadybug do you start with the review from the beginning of your reading book? I am wondering if I should incorporate that as well into my third day of teaching or should I go straight to the first theme. We start school on a Tuesday so we will only have four days for the beginning week? or should I just plan on using those reviews to stick into each day of the beginning of theme 1 to review letters, sounds, and such? I am also teaching 1st grade this year. I student taught kindergarten and some of the kids struggled to get their numbers and alphabet sounds, so I am wondering if my kids will have lost that by the time school starts again? :)

28. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2007

I think we've digressed from what Nicole actually asked. She wanted to know when we start teaching the curriculum. Oops that was her orginal question.

Then she asked about state standards.

Nicole, here's a link to Missouri's glck's (grade level content expectations). That should get you started.

http://dese.mo.gov/divimprove/curriculum/GLE/index.html

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

I agree.

When I did freelance writing for a big textbook company, we were given Texas and California standards.

In most schools in other states, the teacher's edition is a guideline, NOT the actual syllabus.