When do you call in sick?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miller59, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Jan 13, 2010

I have a cold. Nothing huge, but a stuffy nose and a bit of a cough. No fever. But I'm clearly not well. If a child came in to class in this shape I would wonder why he/she wasn't kept home.

The small, private school where I teach has a small sub list. The only person to fill in for me is our librarian. This means the classes she normally helps in would be without her.

I'm thinking I should just buck up and go. But is it irresponsible to go in sickish and probably contagious?

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 13, 2010

Is it irresponsible to go in sickish? Not necessarily. Is it irresponsible to go contagious? Absolutely.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2010

Yep.

5. pabef

pabef Comrade

Jan 13, 2010

Do you feel bad? I am a director and I preach to parents about not sending their children when they are ill and clearly do not feel well. This time of year there are so many things going around. As much as I do not want my teachers being out, I have to hold them (and myself) to the same standards. I am a small center with a very limited sub list as well.

6. HappyLearning

HappyLearning Rookie

Jan 14, 2010

I think you answer your own question when you say that if a child came to school in the same condition, you'd send them home. Also, a day of rest might knock an entire week off of your cold, getting you back into shape much more quickly than if you kept pushing yourself to work every day.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2010

I'm about to email in sick any minute now.

My youngest most probably has strep. (The doctor did a throat culture, but is "99% sure it's strep." He started her on antibiotics this afternoon.)

8. ladytron

ladytron Rookie

Jan 15, 2010

I called in sick yesterday and not going in today due to stomach flu. I was awful yesterday but feel much better today. I wanted to go into work, but I know I'm still contagious and I don't want to get the kids sick. It's a shame when we feel like we have to be there, presenteeism at best.

9. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Jan 15, 2010

For better or worse I did work Wed. I was mostly fine. I worked on Thurs but, as the day went on it was clear I should have stayed home. I'm home today.

It's hard when there's no subs and other staff members have to do their work and yours. I felt between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks for sharing your take on the whole thing.

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 20, 2010

only when I"m too sick to function

11. skyone

skyone Rookie

Jan 21, 2010

We are discouraged from being out sick because they don't have subs. "Take care of yourself first" is my philosophy. We don't get paid for sick time so I don't feel bad when I am home sick.

We aren't allowed to turn away sick children unless their fever is over 101. We don't have thermometers that work so our children are rarely sent home.

12. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jan 23, 2010

Last week, our aide was out on one day, back the next still feeling awful, and then out again the next day after finding out on the previous afternoon that she had strep. We now have strep going around the classroom. Great! She is not very good about be sanitary either. It was feeling frustrating because the teacher and I were doing assessments last week and attendance was not the best.

13. Glenda

Glenda Rookie

Jan 24, 2010

I don't go if I have a fever, migraine, throwing-up, or flu like symptoms that put me in bed.

14. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Mar 11, 2010

I wish more teachers at our school felt this way. They know we are stuck because we haven't had a toddler teacher for almost a month and haven't had any suitable candidates for the position... So I am doing my job as Assistant Principal, working in the toddler class most of the week, and it is the time of year when I have to plan summer camp. :dizzy: And I still have teachers calling me when I finally get to sit down to do my job because they have to run potty 5 minutes after their lunch break was over!!!

I love my job though!!! :p

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2010

In NEW JERSEY? In THIS economy? How is that possible? The tri-state area is in the midst of such an incredible glut of teachers, it's hard to fathom that they can't find a suitable candidate for the job.

(I'm most certainly not doubting your story, just the official motiivation. I would bet that they would prefer things as they are than to find the money for a full time teacher, with benefits, at this point in the year.)

16. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 12, 2010

I am out sick for 3 weeks--- had to have my tonsils out. Almsot changed my mind about the surgery cause I idn't nat to be out that long

17. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Mar 12, 2010

3 weeks is a long time. I hope it all goes well for you.

18. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 13, 2010

Unfortunately I am never out sick. There are no subs, period. If I cannot come to work, my assistant is on her own for the day, and it is such a hard thing to tell the one person you spend 40 hours a week with that you are essentially screwing them over for the day. If one of us is out, the ratio is horrific. It is doable, but incredibly difficult.

I also do not get paid sick days, so if I have to call out I am missing out on a decent amount of money in my next paycheck. With the economy being the way it is, who can afford to lose a day of pay? It's terribly unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

The upside is, I rarely ever get sick, and when I AM feeling badly, my assistant is more than willing to take over everything and swap roles with me. So she teaches and interacts with the kids, and I take a very back seat and do the backpacks and filing things. It decreases my workload for the day considerably, but it still makes it easier for both of us knowing that there are 2 grown up bodies in the room.

19. msnikki

msnikki Rookie

Mar 13, 2010

in the past year i have missed two days......i do not miss work unless i am so sick that i can't go in