When do you call home?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Blue, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

My GS was pulled out of a swing at school. He hit his head on the ground. He told the teacher, who witnessed the fall, that he was dizzy, had a headache and was nauseous. She told him he would feel better soon.

He did not feel better, and fell asleep the minute he got home.

Would you have called a parent to alert them, or just let it go?

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 22, 2011

First off, any injury I send the student to the nurse that way it is documented even if it is a scrape on the knee.

ANY hit on the head should be reported to the parents immediately!!! In my school, the health assistant (we don't have a nurse anymore) would contact the parents. Or....I hope she would. Sometimes I wonder as I had a kid throw up in school then stated he didn't throw up in her office so "he's fine".

Also, don't EVER let someone fall asleep when they get hit on the head! See your dr. first!!!!

4. mshdb2002

mshdb2002 Rookie

Apr 22, 2011

I completely agree with TeacherApr...any hit on the head should be immediately reported to the parents! It might not prove to be serious; however, I truly believe the parents need to know. It is too risky for them not to be told.

My nephew has Hemophilia B (he is 3 years old so he is not in school yet) we just spent a few days at Kosairs hospital due to him falling and hitting his head on a chair and they had to give him Factor IV. If he hits his head he has to immediately be taken to the ER to be given the Factor IV.

So knowing this I fully believe that all head injuries, no matter how insignificant a teacher thinks it is should be reported to the parents for them to decide what the next course of action should be!!

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 22, 2011

Exactly. And teachers are not doctors. This teacher is lucky she's not being sued!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

As soon as my daughter found him asleep, she took him to the ER. They suspect a minor concusion, but did not want to do a MIR. Today, she took him to his doctor, who was livid that the school let him go for so long.

Yes, my daughter is letting the school know what happened. I know teachers are busy, but this was important. Thanks for your input.

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 22, 2011

I, too, would have sent him straight to the nurse, especially because it involved the head and nausea. The nurse would call home and probably tell the parents to take him to a doctor. With all the stories out there about concussions nowadays, I'm surprised the teacher didn't suspect this immediately.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

Yup...would have sent him to the nurse. She would then call home.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2011

What if it's not Tuesday?

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

Do you only have a nurse on Tuesdays?

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

We don't have a nurse at all (not even on Tuesdays). Immediate phone calls to parents are made for any bump to the head; there is also a "head bump" form that we fill out. Courtesy calls are also made home for any injury that leaves a mark--skinned knee, scratch, etc.

12. ally06

ally06 Companion

Apr 22, 2011

We don't have a nurse either but I always tell the parent about any bump to the head, even very minor ones, and injuries that leave a mark. If there was any sign of concussion we would immediately ring the parents. There's no way I would mess around with a head injury.

13. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 22, 2011

If you don't have a nurse, send the kid to the office---they make the calls if there isn't a registered nurse on duty. The teacher should have sent the kid to the nurse or the office.

14. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Apr 22, 2011

We only have a nurse two days a week, but any head injury gets sent to the office immediately. The office staff (or nurse, if she's there) fills out a head injury report and calls the parent.

15. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Apr 22, 2011

I always sent the students to the nurse/office for head bumps. We don't always have a nurse, so I always assumed whoever was in charge would call home for head injuries. I found out one day that I was wrong! Now I always call unless I witness another adult calling, see an ambulance, or see a parent pick up the child.

16. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 22, 2011

Oh, good! I always worry about head injuries. I hope he is feeling better. I'm glad your daughter is not letting this go with the school. And no matter what, teachers being busy is not an excuse not to report or take care of something. When a child gets hurt everything should be dropped and attention should be given to that child. argh! This teacher is making ME angry lol

17. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

We have a secretary who asks as a nurse. We are lucky enough that our secretary has some nursing coursework and is available everyday.

This is silly, but whenever a student asks to visit the nurse, I let them. It's kind of like the bathroom. Well, if you abuse it, that's on you. We keep a log and if I notice a pattern or something, I talk with the student and the parent.

So, in this case, the student would have seen the nurse and the nurse almost always makes a call to the parent. I wouldn't have been surprised if our nurse would have asked the parents to come and pick up the child.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 22, 2011

Any time my kids get hurt I send them to the nurse. (We are very lucky and have one every day.) I usually don't get to call the parents, but I always include a note in the planner about it, just so parents can keep an eye out.

19. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2011

No nurses at most schools here except high schools. Usually just a health clerk. I definitely would have called home - better safe than sorry. California has new, stricter rules this year about head injuries in sports and coaches and refs can be held liable if they don't pull the child and require them to be checked by a doctor. Of course, in this sue happy state most schools and new parks don't have swings anymore. Too "dangerous."

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

Head injuries are a must call. We don't have any nurses, but it's district policy that we call should any child have a head injury.

21. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 22, 2011

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 22, 2011

Our nurse is at our school maybe 4 hours/week, and she only comes around to deal with big problems (such as a kinder who continues to have frequent bathroom issues). So, sending children to a nurse isn't an option at every school.

With that being said, my school seems to be overly cautious about injuries and sickness. If something doesn't seem right, I send a child to the office right away, and the secretaries monitor the child and/or call home.

I'm just thinking, though, if I had a child who injured their head at recess, I don't know when I would call his/her parents. I have 20 other children in my classroom who will have to keep themselves busy while I try to call mom's work, dad's work, mom's cell, dad's cell, home, etc.

But I do agree that the parents should have been contacted. If not by the teacher, then by the secretary or nurse.

23. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 22, 2011

!!! If a child had injured their head under my supervision I really wouldn't care what the others were doing as long as they were safe and following rules (as they should be if I have to make a phone call). That's a regular procedure and expectation. If for whatever reason, you are "too busy" or it's "too much of an inconvenience" for some (not directing it at you...) then send another student with the injured to the office, make a phone call to the office to let them know that it's a serious injury.

I'm thinking it would really suck if a teacher didn't take the time to call someone and then later find out the kid had a concussion or even worse and was then sued. Doesn't sound like a happy ending to a teaching career to me...

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

I'm surprised to hear how many don't have nurses at their schools.:eek: we have kids with severe allergies, some who need meds dispensed, diabetics who need insulin injections. Who does those things at schools with no nurse?

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

Every school in my daughter's district has a nurse this year, though that may be changing next year. I would hope they could keep the nurses at the elementary level!! At the HS I work at, we do not have a nurse.

Now, you bet I would have called if I had been in this situation!!

26. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

TAs can do insulin for kids who are diabetic (though we don't have any kids with diabetes anymore.)

As far as medications, the administration is responsible for most of it, though my TA does have puffers for a few students who need it.

27. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 22, 2011

With those symptoms, i'd recommend that the child go to the ER ASAP

During HS, I had a seizure in class. The nurse thought it was syncope. She told my mom not to bring me to the ER and refused to call an ambulance, and told her to bring me to a doctor if she was so worried.

three days later I was rushed to the Er due to loss of balance, slurred speech, and an acute decrease in cognitive ability

28. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 22, 2011

Oh, come on now. Seriously?!

Perhaps you missed my next paragraph that said, "But I do agree that the parents should have been contacted. If not by the teacher, then by the secretary or nurse. " OF COURSE I think that parents should have been contacted. I'm just saying that it may take a good 1/2 hour of phone tag to actually contact parents in the middle of the day. This would be very difficult for me to do with 20 other (needy, interrupting) 5- and 6-year olds in the classroom. I said that I would send the student to the office and make sure the secretaries call home.

29. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 22, 2011

The secretaries. :unsure:

30. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Apr 22, 2011

To the OP:

I personally ensure that parents are contacted each and every time a hit to the head occurs. I'm sure this teacher will now do the same. Sometimes things that don't look like a big deal, can actually be a big deal. It's a good reminder for everyone here. How is your grandson now? I hope that he is okay.

31. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2011

Only on Tuesdays. I worry about some of the medical decisions I have to make on a fairly regular basis.

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 22, 2011

At my school the nurse would contact the parents. I might do a followup e-mail or phone call once the kids have left for the day but I can't make outside calls from my classroom phone anyway.

33. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 22, 2011

I would have sent that child to the nurse (our nurse calls home regarding injuries). If we did not have a nurse, I would have called home. That situation sounds ridiculous!

34. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 22, 2011

No nurse at my school, or most other schools in AK. Secretary deals with meds. Everything else, I deal with myself. Bloody noses, scratches, etc..

If I suspected a concussion, the child would immediately go to the office and parents would be called to pick them up (and hopefully bring them to the clinic).

35. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 22, 2011

OMG, any head injury should be immediately dealt with inthe proper manner. Call the parents as well as have them see the nurse or take to the dr....falling asleep is def. a sign of a concussion if I remember correctly -The Drs show just talked about that the other day.

36. ally06

ally06 Companion

Apr 22, 2011

We are all trained in what to do if a child has a severe allergic reaction and we all know the children in the school who have epi-pens and where they are kept.

Our secretary gives out medicines and will ring parents if children need to be picked up. She will keep an eye on them in the sick bay while she calls their parents and waits for them to arrive.

We have a staff member designated as a 'first aid person' each break time - any knocks, cuts, bleeds etc go to her and she fixes them up and organises the secretary to call home if needed.

Other than that, we deal with things in the classroom if they are not serious enough to call home.

37. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Apr 22, 2011

I have a nurse, but I monitor what I send to her. A head injury, I would send right away. On Friday, I had a 7 yr old student hit in the head by a soccer ball kicked by a 5th grader (and some of them kick really hard). She went to the nurses office. However, all the scrapes and small cuts (multiples a day), I handle. I have a gloves and band-aids in my room. There is no reason for my student to miss instruction time for a paper cut. I am amazed at the big deal they will make over a tiny scrape (they got at home) with no blood. But the minute I put a band-aid on it they are as happy as can be. So I handle all the minor items......

38. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Apr 22, 2011

We luckily have a full time nurse. We have several insulin dependent diabetics as well as kids who have serious medical conditions that require the care of a CNA who is supervised by an RN. Our nurse takes all head injuries seriously, and even if the kids says they are fine and are not nauseous, etc., she still checks on them and provides communication home. She would've called parents for sure!!

39. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

No nurse here either. Every teacher and aide is trained yearly to use an Epi Pen and how to recognize when to do so. We also have photo pages of all the kids who have allergies.

If what happened to Blue's GS happened in my class, I would have sent the kid to the office for a phone call home. The ladies down there will call every known number until someone answers or calls back.

In fact today, a girl in my room was hit under her eye with a flying shoe. SOme other kids was slinging his shoe around and around and accidentally let go. She went to the office, got ice for it, and was asked every five minutes by me if she was feeling any headache, dizziness, or nausea.

40. cmw

cmw Groupie

Apr 22, 2011

I also would have sent her to the nurse/ office. We have over 700 students and a nurse only a 2-3 days a week. The secretaries (or saints as I like to call them) handle the nurse duties the other days. :D

41. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

My GS is fine. Thanks for the concern. My DD talked to the school nurse and secretary today, and neither one knew anything about his injury. The principal will be getting a phone call.