when do you assign seats?

Discussion in 'High School' started by traeh, Aug 17, 2007.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Aug 17, 2007

On the first day? Second day? How do you go about doing so. At the beginning of class? End of class?

3. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

On the first day they get an assigned seat. I will change them every quarter in 4th grade.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2007

I know some teachers will disagree with me, but I don't assign seats unless and until the students demonstrate that they require it. Most students can handle it, but I usually end up assigning seats in one or two classes.

When I do initiate a seat assignment, I let them know their new seats as they enter the room. I hated having to pack up my stuff and move when I was in school, so I don't make my students do that.

5. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

On the second week, I keep them in a u shape the first week and then they go into groups because I learn who needs to be away from who and who needs to be near me.

6. uxu

uxu Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

How's this for a surprise - I don't disagree with you at all.

Kids need to be in an environment that is comfortable for their learning styles. I have found that through the years kids gravitate toward their preference and do a pretty good job at it.

The only time I assign seats, as Cassie pointed out, is when there is a need to do so based on their behavior, or other circumstance.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

I wait maybe a week or 2. It depends... this semester I am teaching 10th after having 9th last year. I have a lot of repeats, so I might be able to give seats early. But i like to get to know the kids first and figure out who shouldn't sit with who, and then I move them.

Sometimes I will let them stay in their seats if I think they can handle it, but that's usually the exception, not the rule. And I make sure they know that the minute they need assigned seats, they will get them.

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 17, 2007

I assign on the first day. I think this year I will give them a seating chart and they'll find their seats like its a map as they walk in. I will probably change the seats after about 2 weeks once I get to know the kids. Actually, I'll make changes as needed as well.

9. CAMathMom

CAMathMom Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

For my ninth graders, I assign seats (randomly, not alphabetically) on the first day, but then they can self-seat after the first quarter.
    For my other classes, I assign seats as needed. I will often assign groups for projects, though.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 17, 2007

Like Cassie, I only assign seats if they've proven they can't handle seating in the seats they pick for themselves. I've also assigned seats when I've had really BIG classes, and I was having trouble remembering names.

I pick all of their groups for group work, though. :D

11. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

For the first day only I will have assigned seats for all my classes. This is just because I will be gathering information cards from the students and want to collect them in alphabetical order. My 10th graders will keep those seats for the grading period. I do teach 4 senior classes, which I will not assign seats to. They will be told that with age (and maturity) comes this privilage; however, if their behavior makes me question their maturity, I will take away that privilage. I did this last year, and only had to assign seats to a few seniors.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2007

I do it as they walk into the room-- they're assigned seats in alphabetical order. Most of the kids will keep those seats for the whole year, some will change because of hearing/vision/behavior issues.

It helps me set the tone. It makes it easier for me to collect all those things I'll need to in the first few classes. It makes it MUCH easier for me to return those first few quizzes. And it gives me some sort of shot at learning the names.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 18, 2007

That's interesting, Alice, because I've found that I actually learn their names better when they *aren't* in alphabetical order. I think my brain goes on automatic, and I don't force myself to connect a name to a face. I just remember a face and a seat location.