When do we take the RICA???

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by dangerm0use, Apr 19, 2005.

1. dangerm0use

dangerm0use Rookie

Apr 19, 2005

Can the RICA be attempted prior to starting the Multiple Subject credentialing program in order to get it out the way? Or is it recommended that we take a few courese in the program before taking the test? Any advice please help.

3. dangerm0use

dangerm0use Rookie

May 5, 2005

*bump*

4. jello

jello Rookie

May 5, 2005

i am thinking of doing the same thing!

5. mightyquinn

mightyquinn Rookie

May 6, 2005

Response to When to take the RICA???

Hi,

In my program, they suggested to wait to take the RICA until after we took the Reading and Phonics class. Unfortunately, I just found out I didn't pass April's test. I would wait until after you take the Reading class. But if you don't mind paying the outrageous amount for the test, try it and see what you need to study for.

I've heard now they are requiring passing the CSET before you can student teach but you just need to make sure to pass the RICA to file for your credential. Who knows, next week there may be new requirements!!!

Good luck.

6. dangerm0use

dangerm0use Rookie

May 7, 2005

alot of cal states already require passage of the CSET before applying to their programs. other institutions such as UCs and private schools require an attempt of the CSET before applying. some only require passing it before you student teach. i would recommend passing the test first because you dont want to be stuck not being able to student teach and facing that upward battle towards finishing your credential requirements.

on a side note, is there a way to cut a deal with a school district for your student teaching, where they actually pay you a salary?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2005

For years California law has stipulated that a credential candidate has to have proved subject area mastery before beginning to student teach. These days, that means passing the CSET - and THAT is a requirement that schools can't do anything (much) about.

CSUs in general say they require passage of CSET before admission - precisely for the reason that dangerm0use <ooh, that's hard to type correctly!> specifies.

Most credential candidates should wait to take RICA till they've taken the coursework that it taps into - darned few non-credential classes teach anybody ANYthing about what it takes to read, to learn to read, or to teach someone else to read.

As to getting paid for student teaching... see if your district offers any internships (though you may need to teach in underserved areas for a while afterward). Or look into the APLE loan assumption program; most CSU colleges of education should have someone who can tell you about that.

Hope this helps.

8. dangerm0use

dangerm0use Rookie

May 22, 2005

thanks teachergroupie. i contacted the california student aid commission and inquired about their 5th year teaching credential grants. they told me about a "G-44" form that i had to fill out in order to be eligible to get aid for antoher year. i was so thrilled to hear about it. however when i asked at the particular school i enrolled in, the financial aid office told me they no longer offer those grants. that is disappointing. is there anyway to go around that? i am still going to apply and submit my application.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2005

About G-44, I know nothing. Do you mean the school's financial aid office told you the fifth year grants aren't happening? If CSAC told you otherwise, I'd take CSAC's word - after all, CSAC's got the money, or at least the oversight. See if you can get something in writing, or maybe the name of a CSAC contact person to wave in the face of your financial aid office. Getting the money would do nicely too, of course <grin>.

Can't remember whether APLE (Assumption Program for Loans in Education, or something fairly like that) is a CSAC program - it's not a grant, it's loan assumption, which of course means you have to borrow, but it might still be worth looking into. Applications usually go through schools' financial aid offices - I think. Check with your local Teacher Recruitment Center - the county office of education ought to be able to direct you there, or you can Google. Try also Googling districts you're interested in plus "internship" and see if that brings up any useful contacts.

10. dangerm0use

dangerm0use Rookie

May 23, 2005

once again thanks teachergroupie. the school is csulb (long beach). they told me they are not participating in that mandatory 5th year grant program. they gave me a "student university grant" though which is a little short of the tuition payments. i will go to CSAC's website to get the G-44 form and mail that in. no more loans for me please. only grants and scholarships. *smiles*. also, i dont think i'm prepared to do internships yet because of my lack of experience in the classroom. thanks for the help with resources. one GREAT site i frequent for educational jobs is www.edjoin.org . they have all types of jobs available in local districts and teacher recruitment events.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2005

"Internship" may not mean what you think. Some districts have programs in which beginning credential candidates start having heavily supervised classroom exposure - student teaching with training wheels, sort of - pretty much from the beginning. I don't think lack of prior classroom experience is necessarily an obstacle.

As to G-44, I thought I'd understood earlier that your school was telling you the fifth year grant no longer existed. The school deciding not to participate in the fifth year grand program is a different matter altogether. Check with CSAC - and maybe even with CSULB - to see whether it's even worth bothering with the G-44: lots of scholarships have to be applied for THROUGH SCHOOLS, and if CSULB's bailing out on this one, there might be no point.

EdJoin IS good, isn't it?

Best of luck.