When Do We Get to Teach?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Amers, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 29, 2008

Does anyone else find themselves wondering this? Today, I dealt with four disipline issues before 9am! I tracked down missing homework assignments and gathered absent work for students, dealt with paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. Then, I got to end the day with another disipline issue and a parent phone call about....a disipline issue! :mad: In the last two days, I have been doctor, therapist, mom, judge, jury, police officer, and of course baby-sitter......but when do I get to be the teacher? I feel like I spend so much time dealing with outside issues that there's not much time left over to actually teach.

Anyone else feeling this way?

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 29, 2008

Yes there are days I feel the same way. I am a high school teacher though, so its not as bad for me as it is probably for you.

Although alternative ed high school students act like fifth graders........

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 29, 2008

I feel the exact same way.

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 1, 2008

I feel for you. I have numerous distractions all day long.
    Miss M___ the computer is frozen.
    Miss M___ I have a tummy ache.
    Then tattling, arguing, interuptions from the front office, assemblies, fire drills, etc.

To help cut down on some of the things you need to do, try to come up with a student job for the kids. For example, you said you had to gather missing work for absent kids. Is there a place to put extra papers for students that didn't show? Could you have a secretary job for a student and they can do these kinds of things? It would help free up your time and it would give the kids some responsibilities. Of course, you would pick your most responsible students first to do the job.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 1, 2008

I am feeling we are pushing to much at a young age down these kids throats sometimes. My kindergartners doesn't even get to play most days.

7. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 1, 2008

I hear ya Jaime!!

8. forkids

forkids Cohort

Mar 2, 2008

I totally agree, Jaime! It's ridiculous.

9. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

I was going to respond with the same idea as little317! I have a homework collector job where two students check off who turned in homework, then ask students who didn't for it. Especially if you're teaching older elementary, that's a great way to help them take ownership in your class and help out all at the same time.

10. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 2, 2008

In my K class, I have to hand out all work for each assignment. When a student is absent I put the work in his mailbox right then so I won't have to round it up later.

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 2, 2008

Me too! I have pictures of the kids on the mailboxes, so I can even let some of my REALLY responsible ones pass papers out to the mailboxes.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2008

Yep. My 6th graders don't get recess and they have assigned seats at lunch. When do they wind down and get out all of their pent up energy? During class.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2008

My science methods teacher maintains that teachers don't like to teach science and it is often not their priority. When I look at our schedule, science and math are the only times we have where students aren't being pulled out. So if we need to do character education, a special event, etc...this is the time slot we have to do it in. If stuff comes up...that's the time slot. It's terrible.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 2, 2008

I was just sulking over last week - it felt like the kids learned very little. We had a Professional Development day on Monday and on Wednesday I had another professional development meeting. On Friday we had a TAKS (test) pep rally and it was my science lab day.

BTW - I love teaching science - I hate going to our science lab where the chairs and tables are too big and the kids (kindergartners) get to touch nothing! They were lectured earlier in the year about not being able to touch anything to the point that one day when I wrote on the Smartboard they were afraid I would get in trouble for touching it! I prefer teaching science in my classroom. I can see where the lab works for older kids, but I rarely need the special equipment and my kids learn more without all the distractions!

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2008

As a college student I'm not used to the discovery model but I love science in general. I know my teacher loves it. She loves some units more than others but she is good at it. But my point is when we have to schedule our monthly counseling class, for example, we have to work both when the person can come and also when we have ALL the kids there. I don't know why I brought that up except to say that I agree that other stuff gets in the way of teaching sometimes and I disagreed that just because teachers weren't teaching something like clockwork doesn't mean they don't like to teach it though that can sometimes be true.

16. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 2, 2008

I have worked in classes and schools for emotionally disturbed students. Behavior is the biggest key. You have to deal with the behavior before you can teach. That being said, it does help to have a curriculum that engaes your students. Doing some hands-on projects might help.

17. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 2, 2008

Aww!! Little ones need to discover science topics through touch and observation.

18. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 2, 2008

Maybe for a treat they can have a "sit where you like" day. I do this on Friday. My kids have assigned seats the rest of the week. Or, they can have a "lunch in the classroom" day. Since you can't give them recess, maybe there is something else you can give to help them get their energy out. Like science experiments outdoors?

19. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 2, 2008

The other day my kids were so sleepy looking.....glazed eyes...you know that look. So we did popcorn words. I would tell the kids the letters in the sight words and they had to jump up and shout the word. Maybe you could modify it to vocabulary words or spelling words. It sure woke my students up, so I would imagine it would help the older ones too!

20. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Mar 3, 2008

I agree too! Some days I have to make myself a checklist so I can make sure I cover everything I need to for that day. Its crazy! and like Jamie said I dont want to shove all this information down their throats but geez some days you have to just to get it in. UGH!

21. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 3, 2008

We've had so many snow days in the last month, that there is no sense of routine left. We're expecting 6-10" tonight, so I doubt we'll have school tomorrow. Spring Break is in two weeks. All the kiddos are just so wound up. Plus, their little hormones are kicking in, so most of the issues I've been dealing with have been revolving around the whole "boyfriend/girlfriend" thing.

Unfortunately, because of all the missed school, I've had to cut out some of my hands-on activities for lack of time. After this month, I'll be able to bring back some more fun activities. Hopefully, there won't be as many sick kids either!

Sometimes it just seems like we have to wear too many "hats" as teachers, ya know?

22. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2008

I have so many days like this... people keep telling me that if you get right down to business, have procedures for everything, etc, then there won't be so many opportunities to mess up, but I just don't see how that is possible when kids keep doing things wrong starting before I even get into the room!

23. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 4, 2008

I had a day like this... the whole day was sort of a waste. We had a decent enough morning, but really only did writer's workshop and a spelling test because we had to do some businessy stuff with seating that took awhile and there was exciting weekend news that needed to be shared (new sibling born, and a great-grandma who celebrated her 23 birthday on leap day.)

Math was sort of a blur and my TA who is normally there for math was late due to a meeting which I forgot about... so I sort of dropped my lesson and they did time tests and games, which was pretty much a huge waste of a day... no new skills taught at all!

In the afternoon we had a BIG discussion about gossip and nit-picking on one another, because this has been happening a lot. There was an incident in the morning, another during spelling, and a final one when I picked them up from Spanish. (Of course, it's really the same two girls, but they seem to be pretty indiscriminate about who they pick on.) That discussion took at least a half hour, if not longer. Instead of a real reader's workshop, we only did the read aloud because 1) the conversation took so long, and 2) we read the last two chapters of the book to get it done with (they really wanted to hear the end.)

Then, half my class leaves on Monday afternoon for something else, and the rest stay and work with me. That was fine, but then at the end of the day clean up, kids were SINGING loudly and talking so LOUDLY that I couldn't even hear my own voice. Two kids left to go "help" another teacher and didn't ask permission so I had no idea where they were! I had them all sit silently for an extra minute after dismissal because everything took so much longer. One boy put his shirt on his legs and was wearing it like a pair of pants. Jeeze!

I had a kiddo whose mom came in to talk to me after class about some not so pleasant things. Then, I drove to three Barnes and Nobles to get some books (each store only had 2) because the books that I planned for the next unit study was not a complete set as I was told it was. Since we finished the read aloud today instead of tomorrow, I figured I would start the new unit tomorrow!

Whooo.... whatta day! I'm not sure I actually TAUGHT anything today. Even cursive was a review page.

I probably lectured them for a total of at least an hour throughout the day today on various topics, ranging from working quietly in centers (again) to not using the f-word. Delightful!

It was one of those days.