When do they sleep???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Writer's Block, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 8, 2008

I just ran to Target to get milk. I can't tell you how many people were there with their small children. I am talking about kids who are infants through about seven years old. It was about 9:00 when I was there.

When do these kids go to bed? Don't these parents know their kids need to be in bed to be ready for school tomorrow????

What is needed at Target so badly that one parent can't stay at home while the kids are in bed? Most of the families I saw had two parents with them.

...and we get to teach the tired ones tomorrow.........:yawn:

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2008

I hear ya.
    What gets me is when the kids are crying, screaming, and just having a meltdown. I feel bad for them.

4. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Dec 8, 2008

They attempt to sleep during class...yea! You know how it goes.

(being sarcastic btw.)

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 8, 2008

Infants and toddlers are one thing, but older kids? Now, I do have to admit that I'm out late with my kids more often than I should be, BUT, my kids are homeschooled (I moved to part time with the middle school to be home in the mornings, and I work at the college in the evenings). If my kids are out a little bit too late, they can sleep in. It would be a whole different story if they had to go to school.

6. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 8, 2008

mmswm--I don't think these kids were homeschooled ( could be wrong, though--it's happened once or twice :)). The baby is one thing, even though they need to be in bed, imho, but when I know they will be going to school tomorrow, kinder through maybe 3rd or so grade, that's how old these kids looked.

Becky, they are having a meltdown because they are TIRED!!! Take 'em home and put them to bed!!!

Blessed--I hear ya! I like to do the "slam the binder on the desk" when they are sleeping in my class...then I go on like nothing ever happened! :lol:

7. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 8, 2008

I don't understand parents!
    I have a friend who has 11 kids (oldest is 17yrs old youngest is 2 yrs old). She will sometimes call me at 9pm my time(pacific) and it is 11pm her time.Her kids are all still up and sometimes they are just sitting down to dinner. I don't understand parent's like that. I have two teens (15yrs and 16 yrs) and they are sent up to bed at 9:30pm everynight. Lights out occurs at that time too. I know that some of my students are up until 11pm or later.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 8, 2008

I have a student who comes to school with dark circles under his eyes and a 'hot chocolate' from starbucks each morning. He is my most challenging student, and I think a lot of it stems from lack of sleep. I know his parents don't care about a bedtime, and it shows.

Kids have no self discipline. I would stay up until all hours in the night during high school-my parents didn't know, and I just couldn't get myself to stop what I was doing and go to bed. Kids really need parents to step in and help out with that.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2008

My kids are NOT allowed to read this thread!!!

Kira's bedtime is 8, Julia's is 8:30 and Brian's is 9ish (He's the night owl of the group, so we sometimes stretch his.)

Saturday night I had a party that didn't end until after 11. Kira zonked out at 10:15 (after going out to enjoy the season's first snow)The other 2 went right up after the company left.

All three were cranky on Sunday.

My kids need a set bedtime! And I need them to have one!!

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2008

It is very important for children to get the needed rest. I have one little girl in my class who is sleepy at 8:30, I mean did you sleep last night. Last week I made her stand up the whole day since she wanted to sleep. When students are falling asleep in my class, I make the stand up so they won't have anything to lay on.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 9, 2008

A few of my students (I teach kindergarten) go to bed around 10. We are always reminding the parents to put them to bed earlier.

12. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 9, 2008

What angers me is that my school often keeps our middle school students (about 11-14 years old)out extremely late for sports activities. Granted, it is a rural school and sometimes they have to drive far, but it is not uncommon for them to get back at midnight! Of course, they also pull them out of English class for practice so I shouldn't be surprised! :mad:

13. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

I was thinking the same thing! My students don't get home until after 9:00 for dance/football/basketball/cheerleading practice. I know this is true because a teacher I work with has a son who played football would complain about it. (This is fifth grade). Oh, the practices were almost every day!

But, on the other hand, I have soooooo many neglected students in my school that being out after 9:00, if that is the only thing, doesn't seem too bad.

14. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 9, 2008

When we were still going to rodeos, we would often get home very late. We were on our way home one night around 1:00 and stopped at the gas station in town to get milk. There was a mother in there with three small children - all in their pajamas. She was at the counter, scratching lottery tickets. One of the kids tugged on her coat and said "Mommy, I'm tired." Mommy snapped back "Shut up, I'm gambling!" I felt so sorry for the kids. DFS should have taken them right there.

15. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 9, 2008

As a parent, I get why they might be out, maybe they needed tylenol, maybe they needed a prescription, who knows what they needed. Maybe their kids do not need a lot of sleep.

Maybe both parents work and that was the ONLY time they could go out?

I always sort of resent when my daughter comes home saying that her teacher told her she needs to go to be earlier. It irritates me for a variety of reasons, most of all, the fact that many teachers have no idea what our home life is like, and have no right to try to govern what we do at home.

just my 2 cents.

16. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2008

The couple downstairs from where I used to live had a first-grader who was regularly -- as in every night -- up until 1:30 or 2 am (it's possible that she was taking a nap earlier, though -- from what I understand her father got home from work late, and this was a way of getting face time). She was also late to school every day by about a half hour.

A common refrain here (one I often join in) is that parents need parenting classes. Some are willfully negligent, but there are some who just don't seem to know any better, or don't know about the consequences to be making a truly informed choice. Since this affects the quality of education, how many school districts are sponsoring parent education classes?

I think you should listen, even though the teacher may be wrong. If the teacher's making a complaint like this it's probably b/c your daughter's tired during the day. The teacher is really using shorthand for their advice and expressing that your daughter seems tired. It could be that you would need to remedy this with naps, a different bed, or structuring bedtime more carefully (a rigid 9 pm bedtime may be as good as a loose 8 pm bedtime).

17. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 9, 2008

I use to work in my neighborhood school and I would often try to go to the grocery store or wherever, theater maybe, and I was always running into students when I went at 4. I started going at 9. I had a list and knew what I wanted and while that is late for me to be out, I was extremely bothered when I realized I was seeing MORE of my students. When I saw them being cranky the next day I told them that I know they are tired, but they need to do there job and then get some sleep right when they get home.

3sons - Our school sponsers a ridiculous number of parent nights. Everything from how to read with your child to the proper uses of internet. Forgive me, I at 25 years old, I could have a kindergartner at home (I don't), I do beleive most people up to at least 35 have a pretty good grasp on the internet or could read a parenting magazine or watch the evening news and get at least half the information we put out there for them. Do they? Nope!! I've never had kids, but the ways some people choose to parent drives me nuts because the children are suffering from poor adult decisions that just aren't bad enough for them to be taken away.

18. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Dec 9, 2008

Just for an "other side of the coin" comment - I am one of those people that doesn't require much sleep. I don't fall go to bed until 11:00 and I'm awake (no alarm clock) by 5:00. My kids have taken after me in this department. I tried making my son (11) go to bed at 8:30 and he would lay there awake until almost 11:00 - and then be awake (on his own) by 5:30. He now has a bedtime of 10:00 and letting him stay up later and burn off more energy helps him fall asleep sooner. My 3 year old daughter doesn't nap during the day, but goes to bed at 9:30 and is awake on her own by 6:00. We often go to the grocery store late to avoid crowds. I know studies say that people need more sleep, but honestly if any of us get more sleep than this, we walk around in a fog all day.
    It could be that these people are just the types of people who require less sleep.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2008

ahsila-my daughter is the same way. Now granted she's 4 and doesn't go to school yet, but I don't really see this changing much next year. We tried putting her in bed at 8 every night, but at 10 (when we go to bed) she would still be up talking to herself. And she was up on her own by 7 the next morning. Now she goes to her room between 9-930 and is asleep by 1030. I'm sure this will change when she starts school though, and of course we will be much more structured.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 9, 2008

I'm also one that can run on little sleep. Lack of sleep can also affect a child's health. Our nurse sent a flyer home last week about how, especially this time of year, children need 10-12 hours of sleep. It went on to talk about how sleep affects their health, and how recovery time from sickness can decrease. I've read studies on teenage and young adult sleep before, but I haven't on younger children. I'm curious. I'll look for some later.

21. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 9, 2008

I think my point in posting this was that BOTH parents were there. Why can't one stay home? Even if the child doesn't fall asleep until 11:00, they are still in bed--resting, reading, writing, something that is relaxing.

I know there are extenuating circumstances that require a child to be up/out later than is to be expected.

22. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 9, 2008

I personally, with no kids in tow, was out and about till 10:00 last night and it took me a LONG time to calm down and get myself in bed. I know that I'm no different from a lot of kids. Just being home and relaxed helps calm me down and gets me ready for bed AND my day tomorrow.

I've been in Walmart for midnight releases of things (okay my bf is a videogame junky) and have seen small children falling asleep in their carts as mom and dad walk around Walmart. I even saw one FALL OUT of the cart because he was falling asleep.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 9, 2008

I've always been a night owl, and I don't need much sleep. My dad worked second and third shifts before I started school. Mom and I kept his hours because it was easier that way. By the time I started school, he was on first shift, so we started on those hours.

Now, my parent did require me to be in my room by 9:00 unless I was in a school-sponsored activity that kept me out later. I didn't have to go to sleep, but I had to be in my room. My room did not contain a phone or a television. Also, I didn't like to play in my room so I never had toys. I was allowed to read or listen to the radio, so I always read until I fell asleep. That was sometimes 11:00 or later.

Even now I rarely go to sleep before midnight, and I'm up at 6:00. Sometimes I'll fall asleep earlier . . . but then I wake up two-three hours before I should and can't go back to sleep.

Sure there are some people who just don't know any better, but just because you see young kids out late in a store doesn't mean their parents are awful.

24. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2008

mmswm, you know I hs, too, right? If I don't get Jeanne into bed right after her dad leaves for work, she's a mess the next day.

25. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2008

I'm like this, too. If I do a bunch of errands on a Friday night after Jeannie's swim class, I'm wound up like a top the rest of the evening. On a night my husband has off, it's worse because I can't sleep right when he's home.

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 9, 2008

My child is in Kinder. We are having problems with his sleep. He was a baby that did not sleep. As an infant he went to bed at 10pm and was up every other hour. The alternate hours he was up for an hour. He got up at 6am and never napped. He's gotten better with a lot of help but over his toddler years he has had night terrors as well. Now we can MOSTLY get him to go to sleep before 10pm. It hasn't affected him in preschool but it is affecting him in Kinder. Ironically he has had a beautiful week. Last night he went to bed at 8:30pm. Yet he had trouble in class this morning and fell asleep in class at 1pm. This was a kid who used to not nap very easily. Tonight he came home and was asleep before 7pm. I'm not sure what gives but the teacher is keeping me updated so we can check a pattern.

27. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

A schedule works for just about anyone. The schedule needs to fit your family's needs, however, I think what most everyone is hinting at is the value of a "wind down" period. Whatever it may include. A lot of folks adovocate reading with their children. What works for you and your child should be what you do, however, not providing it, in my opinion, results in problems for most children the following day. When I taught K I could point out every child who had not gotten to bed at a decent hour the night before within an hour of being at school. They were whiny, fidgety, and nothing seemed to "go right" for them.

28. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 9, 2008

This is just crazy! I also hate to see a tiny baby out in public. You say, "Ah, how sweet and how old?" "Two weeks." I just want to tell them to keep that precious baby at home and protect it. I know that nothings going to probably happen, but I just hate to see a tiny baby out with so many nasty, germy people.

29. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 9, 2008

EXACTLY!!!! Omg, writer, i thought i was the only one who wondered this. what also used to bother me was before i became a teacher and was still in college, i might be out at Ihop with my girlfriends on a lazy, tuesday morning before i had class and i'd see anywhere from two to five school aged children eating with their parents.

same thing when we'd go to the mall, especially around the holidays.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 9, 2008

HA! I have seen babies out in public and their parents say OHH she's 6 days old! I don't know, maybe they needed diapers or something but I would have sent someone out for them!
    In regards to school aged kids out at night I guess it is up to the parents and probably isn't a problem unless they ARE having trouble staying awake in school during the day. Since it's usually random kids you see out this might be the ONLY night they are out late and the parents made an exception (the only night when both parents were able to go out on a "family night" or something like that). Personally, if I had kids I wouldn't take them out (unless it was an emergency) past 7 or 8pm.

31. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 9, 2008

Amen sister! It is a cry for help!

32. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 9, 2008

I understand that too since the older I have gotten the less sleep I seem to need, but it is different when the kids are sleeping in class @ only 8am. I mean I could understand if it was happening after lunch even I get tired after lunch!

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 9, 2008

But remember, my definition of "late" is "OMG, it's 9:15 and they haven't brushed their teeth yet!!!!". They usually wake up around 7:30-8am, so a 9pm bed time is reasonable.

34. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Dec 9, 2008

I am the opposite and would not make the student stand up an do work. She is clearly just very tired. I feel sorry for the child who gets no sleep. I feel that it is not their fault at all. They are little children! They do not control their bedtimes...especially when they are in first grade. If I had a student who was worn out due to bad parenting, I would let them curl up in our reading corner and rest for that time. I would then make sure I had a meeting with the admin. and parents about my concerns.

35. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2008

I thought making a sleepy child stand up was mean, too. And slamming a book down-if a teacher had done that to me, I'd have been a bear unleashed.

36. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 9, 2008

Oh, I felt like such a rotten parent this past weekend-and this is why! We went to Disney on Ice Saturaday night, which started at 7:00. We went early, but did some shopping, and ran out of time to eat before hand. We had a snack at the mall, and decided to eat afterwards. So at 9:00, here we are at Red Lobster, with our kids falling asleep in the booth. I just wanted to die! I hate to see other kids out that late, and eating dinner, no less. Boo on me and dh-there goes our parents of the year trophies.

37. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 10, 2008

There is a difference there. You were out on Sat. a day that there was no school and no school the next day. If they are tired then good for them it means they had fun and they can sleep in sunday if need be.