When do teachers actually start getting paid?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Jun 13, 2014.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 13, 2014

Hey, everyone! I'm trying to budget for the period in between leaving my current job and starting my teaching position....I know that my district pays their teachers on the 15th of each month.

When I signed my papers for employment, I signed for my 180 day employment period. I believe it said August-May on the paper. My official date to sign for payroll, benefits, etc. will be July 30th. Does this mean that I will start getting paid August 15th? I can't imagine waiting any longer with no income :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks everyone!

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jun 13, 2014

That's going to be different for each district. My first paycheck comes in the last week of August, but I get paid 2x a month. My friend who gets paid monthly doesn't get her first one until September.

4. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 13, 2014

I guess it my help to specify that school starts on August 12th, but we have inservices beginning in July. I'm actually going to a three day training next week.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

My contract runs July 1-June30.... But I teach September through June. My first paycheck each school year s September 15, but some stricts are paid year round. Read your contract.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

Here, new teachers do not get paid until September. Most districts have the option of signing a '13 month' contract which means those teachers would get paid in August.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 13, 2014

I get my first paycheck of the school year on September 30.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 13, 2014

Our first pay of each contract is September 5, I believe.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 13, 2014

Our contract is from Aug. 1st to July 30th. We go back to school in the middle of August, but get a full paycheck on Aug 31, and every month through June.

10. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 13, 2014

I am paid every 2 weeks, so the firsIt check for the new school year will be two weeks after I begin. When I first started the school distric offered a bridge loan for $500 against your first pay check.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2014

In NC, you are paid on the last working day of the month. We would be paid for all of August, but we only worked for 2 weeks at that point. Then we would not get checks at the end of June and July. They did start allowing a 12-month option a few years back. And they state legislature tried to make it partial August and partial June. Since I moved, I don't know what happened to that.

At my current school, my last check is in July. We don't start work until August 25, so I'm not sure what happens pay-wise. (I just hired in in February)

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 13, 2014

It's different everywhere. My last paycheck at my current job is July 5 (and it's only a half paycheck, as we are paid twice a month), and the first at my new job is August 31. I start work August 5. I'm also going two months with no health insurance.

My mom's district pays new teachers their first paycheck September 30!!

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2014

I just asked HR at my new district and they said my first paycheck will be August 25th.

At my last district, we started school in July and I didn't get my first paycheck until after September 5th. I wasn't going to get paid until September 20th, but I drove to payroll to get my paycheck because I couldn't wait that long! I think it was a mistake that it wasn't sent on the 5th.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 13, 2014

We get our first check of the year on August 15 (even though school doesn't start until after that), and our final two checks on June 15. Call HR and ask when to expect that first check.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 13, 2014

This.

My last paycheck for last year is August. My check in September will be my new step.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2014

In my district, this next year's contract starts August 8th. First pay day is August 15th - including new hires. That was super nice the first year I worked here!

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 14, 2014

At my private school, we get paid on the 1st and only once a month. Contracts run August to July if you're returning or if you're new your first pay check comes in September (by then you're at in-service so I guess it's a way to make sure you actually start working).

If it is an issue, at my last private school they told new faculty that they could get a pay check up front and then they would take make deductions as time went on (they understood that with some of us moving and such we needed the money). Perhaps if there's a financial strain you could talk to HR about it.

18. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jun 15, 2014

I am in the same position as you. I am currently working at a full time job with benefits and can't just leave without some planning. I plan on submitting my letter of resignation on July 21 and my last day will be July 31 at my current job. I will start my HS Chemistry position on Aug. 1. I shouldn't have a laps in pay because at my current job, I am held two weeks behind in pay and then I will also receive a lump sum payout for annual and comp time. My sick time should transfer without any issues.

I would love to leave and have some time off before school starts but it is what it is. Our first day (half a day) is Aug. 5 and the first full day is Aug. 11.

19. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2014

At my first school, we got paid once a month and they ran a month behind. So you would get paid for what you worked in September at the end of October. We started late, so I worked only a few days in August and my end of September paycheck was about $400. I didn't get a "real" paycheck until the end of October! That was definitely rough as a first year teacher!

This year I started at a new school and they pay a month ahead, which I've never heard of. So I got a full check at the end of August despite only working for about 3 days. That was really nice! I wasn't expecting one in August since my old school's last check came in July.

I think this would be a question for HR. Call them and ask. Our contract only says that we get paid on the last day of the month...it doesn't say when this would start for a new teacher.

20. live

live Companion

Jun 15, 2014

When I started my new job last year, I received my first pay check in the beginning of September, but that's only because I missed the first pay period (hired a couple days too late for it). Otherwise, I would have received my first check the last week of August.

It really depends on your contract. When I received my contract, they also attached the pay day dates too.

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

Ours is two weeks after we get back (Sept. 5th)

22. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 16, 2014

My district has a "13th check" for new teachers...it's basically like a loan, they take it out of your check for the next 12.