When do parents find out what class their child is in?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

I am anxious this year! I am always excited to get the class list to see the names of my new students. We are a small school so many times there is only one classroom per grade level. My son's class as well as my class will be split this year, and I am not only anxious to see who my child's teacher will be, but also which students I will have! When does your school let the parents know who their child's teacher will be? I don't really think our school notifies parents, I think either the teacher might send out a postcard or they just have to contact the school. I'm sure the lists are finished, why does it have to be a secret???

3. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

mine won't find out until the week before school starts. I can't get my list until then either b/c open enrollment is still going on the first week of August.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2008

Our parents find out, with the kids, when they arrive the first day of school. We had lists made up before we left at the end of June, but, it is guaranteed that that there will be changes before school starts in September. Students move out and in--which can result in classes being reorganized. There are also often staffing changes over the summer. Some teachers may leave the school either through transfer or to go on leave. If there are a number of new registrations, new classes may be opened up which, again, results in reorganization. Finally, it sounds callous, but I have noticed that the earlier parents (and students) know about their class placement, the more time they have to get concerned--about the teacher, friends, etc. We get our finalized list the Friday before school starts, and even then we expect changes the first week.

5. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

Our schools wait because many parents enroll their child in August, if they were not already in the district. We start school on Aug. 25th and my girls will find out their teachers (I think) the 18th. That is also when our secretary will post my school's lists. They post them on the website and on the front doors of the school. Then our meet the teacher is on Thursday before school starts. I am excited to see who my girls will get and they are too!

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

Our letters went out last week. I'm a teacher and a parent - I received my daughters' letters last week. I've known my class list since the end of last year. WE are a lottery public school and the spots fill very quickly.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2008

Our kids find out the last day of school. Within a 1/2 hour of school letting out the phone in the office is ringing with parents wanting to complain that their kid didn't get who the parent wanted.:eek: One mother was in the office as school let out CRYING because her son got a different teacher than her daughter had had the year she was n that grade...He got a great teacher- just not the one the parent wanted (PS the parent had given this years teacher a whole laundry list of what she wanted: what kids in the class, what kids not to be with her son, what teacher...) I think some schools send the list out the week that the office staff is on vaca so they don't have to deal with the complaints/phone calls/requests for switches.

8. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

Last year they put the list out during registration. We heard that we were going to know before the end of our post-planning last school year but that didn't happen. I'm thinking I probably won't know until the day of registration just like the parents :/

9. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

We keep it a secret till about a week before-at the soonest. The reason is b/c we would have all sorts of parents calling and swarming the office to be removed from one "horrible" teacher's class and put in another (all on hearsay, mind you), or upset that Johnny is not with Billy. It is a nightmare!!! I just wish they would let US know sooner.

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

Our parents learn when they go to register about 2 weeks before school starts. They post the list in the school windows. We have a gradebook program and my class list is on already. I only have names but that's okay!

11. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

We start September 3rd, which is the Wednesday after Labor Day. My school doesn't post the class lists until Friday (Of Labor Day Weekend) at 5:00 p.m. Teachers can access their class lists about a week early, but it changes so much that I don't do anything with it until the day before school starts.

12. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

Our parents (for the most part-- PTA might have an "advantage" on this) find out at 5:00 when the doors open for our BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT. We find out on Monday the 25th (unless our Principal gets them out a few days earlier) in the morning and the next evening the parents & students find out.

13. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

MY SCHOOL DOES THE SAME THING... the next year's teacher's name is written on the final report card.... the principal (who started here three years ago) said it's to alieviate the students' anxiety about who they are getting. I think it's the stupidest idea EVER because as you said, the squeaky wheels start calling the school right away. The really annoying part is, my principal CAVES IN TO THEM... so they know complaining works!! The teachers spend a great deal of effort and energy deciding which teacher would be best for each student, and try to balance out acedemic and behavior issues. WELL THAT ALL GOES RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW. (Really makes the teachers angry because it messes up the delicate balances of the classes.)

Janet

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

You know, I never complained about any of my son's teachers before I met them (and then not much once I knew them, except for the one who "diagnosed" my son with ADD, which he did not have).

And I would certainly never have let him or anyone else know if I was not totally pleased with a teacher he was assigned to.

That parent is just teaching her child how to be the most unpopular child in school. Wonder if she realizes the teacher her child was assigned to was probably crying in the office too? :haha:

15. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Jul 28, 2008

Students come for "Meet the Teacher" on the Thursday before school starts (It starts the following Monday). The lists are posted at the front entry and parents and teachers meet then.

16. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

Kids don't find out until the night of Open House(this Thursday-school starts Friday). We don't receive our list until Thursday morning...if we are really lucky, we may receive the list on Wednesday!

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

I am going to start calling my parents in the next few days. I have some who already know b/c they requested me.

18. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

During registration here also. Unless you get lucky and catch the sec. around and she is in a good mood. :) Otherwise they recieve their schedules on the 5th.

19. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

At five o'clock on the Friday before the first day of school if school starts on Monday. The night before if it starts during the week. With the goal to avoid the complaining posted above.

20. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

Ours find out the Friday before school starts, at open house.

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 28, 2008

Class lists are usually posted the first week in August and teacher start sending out postcards soon after. I went up to the school today to check on my room (it was supposed to get painted) but the building doors were locked. I'll check back later this week...maybe. Otherwise next week will be soon enough. I'm anxious to see how many students I have this year and if I recognize any names. I don't think this upcoming class has many siblings of former students as I recall.

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2008

Our parents will find out at Open House in just a few weeks. :woot:

23. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

We posted class lists today, which is two weeks from the first day of school.

24. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Jul 29, 2008

Our lists are posted next Monday for our back-to-school night. The parents will be surrounding my door waiting for me to open it at exactly 5:00. The principal walks around the school and personally posts every single list, starting at 5:00. Kindergarten has their orientation early, so they will already know. School starts next Wednesday. We will still have the whining over classes, but the Prinicpal promised not to cave this year. We will see.

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 29, 2008

Wow, you start early! Our meetings don't begin until Aug. 13 and classes on Aug. 22.

26. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 29, 2008

We usually get our list of students for the next year during the last week of school. Most of us post these on our doors the last three days of school and the kids walk around looking to see which class they got. Some teachers sent home letters to the students during the summer break. (I do.) We start back the 18th of August.

27. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

In my school teachers get their new class list ten days before the last day in June. Of course,some parents are given the right to choose their child's new teacher and parent's complaints,based on silly reasons begin. Too many times our administration gives in causing chaos and ruining the fair distribution of our supposed heterogenius classes.With discharges and new admissions before the school year begins your class can be very different than it looked like in June.

28. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

Parents can pick up their child's schedule starting next Monday if they pay book rental. Other than that they have to wait until the first day of school to pick up their schedule.

29. kinderkidz

kinderkidz Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

We don't get our class lists until five minutes before open house starts. So I never know how many students I will have or names on anything. Our principal does not want parents/teachers to find out who they have because she knows it will get around the community. She does not want parents calling/meeting with her and demanding moving their students into different classrooms.

30. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2008

Ummm... Thursday at Open House. :)

I cannot believe it is so soon. Three I know if are already aware of who their child's fourth grade teacher will be.

31. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 11, 2008

Wow! That is really cutting it close. I can understand your P's position, but it doesn't give you much time to plan. I like knowing in advance because it gives me a better idea about how to plan my lessons and the types of routines I will need to teach (and how intensely). It'd be nice if the teachers were told who their students were and had a gag order put on them. At least a peek at the list.

32. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

Our letters went out Friday.... parents will start talking today...:eek: They probably all call each other and talk about it together... and my class is such a shift it will be HOT GOSSIP in our little tiny school!!

I know since I have 3 siblings and 2 faculty kids, someone will stop me and talk to me... :eek:hmy: They all have my home phone number!

33. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

It appears your principal needs to feel confident enough to deal with parents and staff. By hiding the information it could just lead to a backlash all at once. It is really unfair to you to not know who your students will be until a few minutes before the open house. Maybe your principal should tell parents and teachers who might complain to wait a little while and see how it will work out before we make any changes.

34. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

The class is on the report card in June. I had a parent call vecause her duaghter wasn't with most of her friends. The daughter was very happy about her class. The principal listened to her, said he was glad she got to vent, but he wasn't changing it.

35. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

It went out on the kids' report cards at the end of the year as to who their new teacher would be. We got our class list a couple of days before the end of school.

36. zoodies

zoodies Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Our parents find out one week prior---the same time the teachers do!! I hate this. Everything is now rushed to look through permanent records, label everything, and organize your room at the last minute between all the meetings. We used to meet and great our class at the end of the previous year. Well too many parents tried to get their children switched, so this became a district mess. Now it is the last minute wait for us! Can't they just "not" change the children and tell parents that is how we make our classes. Sorry I'm venting. I just got my list today!

37. zoodies

zoodies Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Sounds like you work at my school, Kinderkidz! Ha!

38. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2008

We also don't send letters until about a week before school starts. This is to avoid the parents wanting to switch Johnny into Joey's class because they are best friends.