when do interviews start?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pommom, May 4, 2016.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 4, 2016

I was teacher job searching in the end of the summer the past year because I didn't get my bachelors until August (I did not land a teaching job) this is my first time experiencing teacher job searching in the beginning of the summer. I know there are many teachers looking for other jobs that have not told their principals yet, but for the most part, are the contracts in yet for current teachers? Right now, are principals waiting to interview applicants until the school year is over? It's like crickets here and I am waiting for an interview somewhere...

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2016

Now is the time to get your packages put to EVERY public, private and charter within a reasonable commute. Yes, teachers are finding out about their positions for next year and schools are looking at their staffing needs.

4. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

May 4, 2016

It's been crickets here for me for 3 yrs now. I was the same - first year out I got my certification after hiring time & then the next yr I got 1 interview & then the next I took a reading intervention spot 'cause it was my only chance to work besides subbing. So here I am going on 4 yrs out & still trying to make connections!
    Where I am currently the principal was interviewing today & will be again tomorrow. Here jobs are all posted for 2 weeks online & the principals are supposed to wait until the jobs are down before interviewing -but it doesn't always happen. And the jobs open first to teachers in the county who want to transfer then they are posted. Our first wave of jobs posted early this yr - 2 wks ago. Teachers here won't get their pink slips until the week before school is out - which is in 15 days.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 4, 2016

Contracts are due late May in my hometown... Screening interviews took place in March and April, but interviews for actual positions have been rare. I imagine they'll pop up more later this month and in June. Many schools are just beginning to post their open positions, if they even know them yet.

Where I live currently, it's not rare for hiring to happen in late July and August.

6. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 4, 2016

okay, my alt cert instructor told me that secondary principals have a month off mid summer. so do principals do interviews and fill some positions before taking off , then finish up hiring when they get back from break usually?

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 4, 2016

Where I'm from, principals work all summer... So, I'm unfamiliar with the situation you describe. In my experience, hiring occurs all summer long, as needed.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 4, 2016

Texas
    I interviewed three weeks ago, but that was oddly early. With state testing late this year, I think it will start to be a little more active in the next few weeks. At my current campus, we are going to start on the 20th. Hiring can happen all summer though but it's heavier during the earlier part of summer. Forty-five days before the students' first day is the last day to get out of a contract (easily) so most positions will become available before or shortly after that deadline which tends to fall close to the Fourth of July. Mid-July and August interviews tend to be rarer but still possible as districts firm up their enrollment and have to add positions.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 4, 2016

The Ps I've known would try to get positions filled with even if that meant coming in on a vacation day simply because there are more candidates to choose from earlier than later.

But it is possible that some wait or have last minute openings.

10. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

May 5, 2016

I'm in CT and it varies. There's been some postings I've applied to that have already been filled. Others have posted and haven't started the process yet

In the past my earliest interviews have been mid June, either at the end of the school year or shortly after.

11. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

May 14, 2016

Many districts in Houston areas have already had job fairs. We did ours early April and have hired 2 teachers that I know of for sure. Probably more, but I don't pay attention to the teachers on the 2nd floor. Lol

12. Missteacherlady

Missteacherlady Rookie

May 23, 2016

Interviews are happening now where I am. I'm relocating....I've already found a job in my new city and my principal has been interviewing people for my position this week. I recommend that you sending your cover letter/ resume out to every principal you can. In smaller districts people may call you after you apply online, but often you need to do something to give yourself an edge! Be proactive!

talknteach likes this.
  13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 23, 2016

I don't know about every district in Texas of course but I do know of six districts who are practically in a hiring freeze due to the budget. These districts are several million dollars short or more so hiring the fewest employees possible is one of the ways they are saving money.

If you're in Texas, up your game as the competition will be outrageous.

14. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 23, 2016

I've done one interview so far this year and busted out to a teacher who graduated from the school in question. I hope I get another chance and hope for the best for you.

15. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 24, 2016

I have not had any calls yet. I applied everywhere. No interviews, my alt cert is probably off putting. I am in TX. I was thinking about applying for life skills teaching positions even though I really don't want to, but I absolutely need a teaching job this school year and that is probably an easier job to get. I have an ELAR 6-12 and SPED ec-12. I am applying for ELAR positions and SPED resource ELAR. But life skills is whole another level, I don't know if that is the best place for me.....

thoughts?

16. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

May 25, 2016

If you don't want to do life skills, please don't. Kids with that level of special needs (well, all kids, but especially those who are facing so many challenges) deserve someone who wants to be working with them. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I have a kid with special needs and I would really rather he never has to have a teacher who is just there because they couldn't get another job but really doesn't want to be there.

bella84 likes this.
  17. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 25, 2016

18. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 25, 2016

yikes, that was harsh. not just in sped but all teacher positions there are teachers who accept a job that is not their 1st choice. That doesn't mean those teachers or me wont invest in my students, i would still care for them and want them to be successful.

19. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 25, 2016

I don't think the comment was meant to be hurtful, just honest. Life skills is a whole new ballgame. Even with my degree and experience working in sped, I would never apply for a life skills position because a) it's not where my heart is, and b) I'd have no clue what I'm doing. Am I technically qualified? Yes. Could I likely land a position in it? Yes. But would that be a good move for me, the students, or the school? No.

You are right that many have to accept a position that is not their first choice, but life skills is not the type of classroom to do that in. Besides that, few people truly do have the heart for life skills, and schools are often desperate to find good, qualified people. If you accept that type of position now, that just might be what you end up doing your entire career, because you will have branded yourself as a life skills teacher.

20. krhrvey44

krhrvey44 Rookie

May 31, 2016

Everywhere is different but I am in VA and had 2 interviews last week. I just completed coursework in a career switcher program. I applied for a job in March for a school district that I really want to be in but I haven't heard anything yet. :(

21. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Jun 6, 2016

I am on an alt/transitional and just had my first interview Friday morning.

Oddly, the interview was via Skype, even though the school is only 10 minutes from my house. I was on vacation and they were trying to get their interviews finished quickly.
    My understanding is that in Middle Tennessee, July is the big hiring time.