When do I tell ...

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by MrsMcD, Aug 19, 2007.

1. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I just found out this morning that I'm pregnant! (yeah!!!) :D

When should I tell my principal? I don't want to tell anyone too early, but think it's only fair that I give as much notice as possible since I wont be able to make it through the entire school year (my due date will be around the beginning of May).

(This will be our first child) Anyone else who has been pregnant while teaching - how bad was your morning sickness, and were you able to get through the entire day without tossing your cookies, so to speak??

I'm so excited and so nervous all at once ... all of these new things coming into our lives - it's mind blowing! :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2007

Congratulations!!!!!!

Most people choose not to tell until either they're a) almost through wtih their first trimester, just in case or b) starting to show a little, or afraid that they will soon. So you have lots and lots of time either way.

I didn't have great luck with morning sickness-- sick as a dog every day for a few months. Fortunately for me, my daughter is a February birthday, so all my problems were over summer vacation. Stock up on saltines and hope that they're unnecessary. If morning sickness becomes an issue, you'll have to tell your principal sooner than you might othewise.

Stay hydrated-- lots and lots of water.

I taught right up until the day I went into labor with my middle child. (oldest was adopted; for the youngest I had quit teaching and was home.)

But beyond that, do anything you would do otherwise. Don't take up skydiving or marathon running, don't smoke or drink or hang out near the kitty litter, but you can do stairs and any other typical activities.

Again, congratulations!!!!

4. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

I found out that I was pregnant last year on Christmas. When I came back to school after break I began telling people. I told my closest teacher friends first. I had to tell my principal right away, because of my situation in my room. I had a violent student who on many occasions, I would have to pick up to remove from the classroom. I didn't want to lose the baby because of this, so we had to make a game plan in case of a situation with my student came up.

I was pretty lucky with morning sickness. I felt sick mostly at night for the first trimester. I only went home sick a couple of times due to band headaches. I only vomited twice throughout this whole pregnacny, and it was due to bad Chinese food. And I did all of that at home luckily. :)

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2007

Usually I was ok during my 3 pregnancies as long as I had something in my stomach. My husband would bring me crackers and decaf tea in the morning before I got out of bed. If I got up without something in my stomach, then I would get sick. I kept crackers in my desk and was usually fine during the day. We told everyone right away because we were so excited with the 1st and 2nd. We waited a little bit before telling anyone about the last because we were slightly in shock because my middle daughter was only 9 months old when I got pregnant the 3rd time. It is really a personal choice. Congrats and enjoy your pregnancy. This is a special time to bond with your baby.

6. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

Congratulations! How exciting :)

I worked through two pregnancies. I did have morning sickness with my first but only ever got sick at home before work. The bad part though was that my classroom was right across from the kitchen in the cafe so I pretty much kept my door closed whenever I could or else I would be so nauseated. Ick! I was about 4 months when I told the principal.

A good tip I got from another teacher was to keep small packs of peanuts in my desk. They were great for a pick me up and kept my tummy happy too. For morning sickness, the best relief for me were sour altoids!

7. SocialStudies6

SocialStudies6 New Member

Aug 19, 2007

Pregnant and Teaching

Hey I found out that I was almost three months pregnant a few weeks before I was interviewed for my position. I did not think I would get hired and I was advised by several people not to tell. However I ended up getting the position and was really stressed about telling my principal. I told her this week and she was fine with it, she told me that I had nothing to worry about and that if I needed anything or got too stressed to let her know. I did not expect her to respond that way but I felt a lot better after telling her. This will be my first year teaching and I wanted to make a good impression. So the sooner you tell your principal the better you will feel. I am now five months and not really showing but I am glad that she knows. Everyone else will find out as time passes.Thankfully I do not have morning sickness anymore it only lasted the first two months so you should be fine. This will be our first child also, so I know that feeling of excitement about the pregnancy and the nervousness of starting a new career. you will be fine
    Good Luck

8. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the tips on how to get past this potential morning sickness!!

*Knock on Wood* I've been most nauseous at night, and fine in the morning. I went to see my Dr last night and she gave me a few tips about morning sickness as well.

I'm definitely going to wait until I get through the 1st trimester to tell my principal. I work in a very small school and am afraid that too many people would find out if I "leaked" the information any earlier than that! :)