When do I first contact my cooperating teacher for student teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by janismia, Jul 19, 2005.

1. janismia

janismia New Member

Jul 19, 2005

Hello everyone!
    My name is Janis and I will be student teaching this fall! I have already received my placement but I don't know exactly when to contact my cooperating teacher or the proper way to contact her. The only contact information that I was given was the school addresse and the teacher's name. It is summer vacation now and I am scheduled to start student teaching on the first day of school! Am I supposed to call the school and try and leave a message for her? Also, I am actually in California for the summer and I will be student teaching in New York. I will not be back in NY until 2 weeks prior to the first day of school. So I will not be able to meet with her until then.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Janis

3. KYgirl

KYgirl Rookie

Jul 19, 2005

I did my student teaching in January, and I contacted my cooperating teacher before students were out for Winter Break. I just wanted to meet her and see the classroom before they left for break.

I think if you just try to contact the school when you get back to NY (a couple weeks before school starts), that would be fine. Most teachers are there a couple weeks before school starts anyway, so you might be able to get in touch with her then.

Good luck with your student teaching!!

4. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

Maybe you could call the school and see if they have a summer email address for her on file. That way, you could work out a meeting time and place for when you get back so that you won't be scrambling in those last two weeks, when either or both of you may be feeling a bit more stressed than now.

5. cmeldrid

cmeldrid Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

I would try to get her email address and email her. Most teachers check their email through the summer that way you could set up a day to meet with her when you get back to New York. Good Luck student teaching you will have fun. I graduated in May and just landed my first job and start in 2 weeks.

6. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 20, 2005

When I did my student teaching my university set everything up. I would ask your supervising teacher to help get you in touch with her, or if they are planning an orientation meeting or anything.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 20, 2005

Call the school and tell them who you are. Ask them if you know how you can contact the teacher. Call her and introduce yourself. See if you can meet sometime before school starts so you can ask questions and go over anything.

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2005

I did my student teaching in January, but meeting when you get back to NY sounds fine. You'll probably just want to chat a little and at least see the classroom so you are comfortable on that first day. Good luck!

9. MzB

MzB Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

I'd contact her and ask if you can show up for teacher inservice days. That way you can see how the beginning of the year is handled.

10. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 20, 2005

Your college should set up a time for all of you to meet. However, i know how excited you must be. I just graduated so i know from experience. I would call the school and explain to them that you are her student teacher and you would like to contact her. They will usually either give you her email address, or home number. you could also just leave a message and leave a number to where she can contact you. Chances are she will be getting her room ready. Good luck with everything!

What grade are u student teaching?

advice: when you finally me and start teaching, see if she will make you an extra copy of worksheets for your file. My Host teacher did that for me and know i have everything i really need for my first year as a teacher.
    Also, if she lets you make any manipulatives to use in her classroom, make sure to ask her if you could keep it. If you are investing your time, make sure you can keep your materials.

Good Luck!

11. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Jul 21, 2005

In our area, it is the student teacher's responsibity to set up a meeting with their CT. My last student teacher sent a nice note to my home a month or so before she started,telling me she'd call to set up a meeting time at my convenience. It let me know she was excited and ready to start. First impressions are everything. Good luck!

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 21, 2005

I sent an email to my CT in November (I started in January, the kids first day back from break) or early December, asking to come visit before break... I was able to go in for a day so I got a feel for the kids, procedures, etc... and I was able to give my CT the handbook and other miscellaneous papers, forms, etc... she gave me copies of some of the curriculum, etc. so I could start preparing (this is the science unit we'll be doing while you're here, why don't you take it home and look over it)...

I think talking to the secretary or whoever is at school is a great idea... hopefully you'll be able to go in with your CT and help organize, decorate, etc... and you'll have a better idea of how the first day of school goes than most of us who did ST during the spring!!! :)

13. cmeldrid

cmeldrid Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

I would defintely take advantage of being able to see the first day of school. Because I feel at a loss in MY Own classroom now. Its exciting but really scarry since I have not been there on the first day of school. Good Luck!

14. MzB

MzB Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

Me too. We were supposed to go that whole first week, but our lazy field placement person didn't get things together in time.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 22, 2005

Hello! I'm going to be student teaching in the fall as well. I got my placement at the beginning of June. I called the school and left a messege for her. She ended up calling me back ten minutes later! I talked to her briefly which was nice.

I am starting on the first day of school also, but I will be on vacation the entire week before school starts, when the teachers start. I'm not sure when I'll be able to go in and meet her and see the classroom. She said she'd contact me sometime before summer ended and we'd set something up... but I yet to hear from her!! We'll see how it goes. =)

As for your situation, I think you should call the school, say who you are, and leave a messege. Who knows when your teacher will be at the school and receive it!

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2005

Definitely call the school and ask how you can contact your supervising teacher before school begins. When I interned in January 2004, I met my teacher a few days before winter break, and it was beneficial because we were able to discuss the students and teaching concepts. I was also able to set up with my teacher the day before students returned in January.

Perhaps the school may even have her phone number, and most likely she will not mind if you introduce yourself at this time.