When do districts hire?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FCLaura, Jan 2, 2010.

1. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Jan 2, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I am in my 2nd year teaching (maternity sub) in Washington State, and my husband (also a teacher) and I are considering moving to another state (ANY state, preferably rural) with a better market for teachers. We want to make sure we are checking for jobs when hiring is happening and that we aren't too late. When do the districts in your state start hiring? Thanks!

Laura

P.S. Here in WA, a few do some early hiring in late May/early June, almost none in July, a lot in August. Some districts even hired after school had started in September and October!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jan 2, 2010

My district hires when they have an opening. It could be tomorrow or the day before school starts. My district is about 50 minutes outside of NYC. We are considered a suburban/rural area. This year there were 3 openings in my school (K-4) Over 500 applications came in. Good luck.

4. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Jan 2, 2010

Northern Colorado. Vast majority is late April through May. Some June. Almost no July. A few last minute folks in August.

I chatted with a lady from Byers, Colorado (50 miles east of Denver...rural farm town) a few years ago and they even provide housing for teachers. They have a small apartment building. Just a bit down I-70 to the big city of Denver. You can google "byers colorado school district" and find information. We chose a small city (Fort Collins) instead.

Colorado is really an amazing state. Wonderful climate. Amazing people. Check us out! ( I should get some sort of free kickback from the state for a free plug!) ;)

Good luck to you guys!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2010

Long Island NY.

Some start as early as March. Most around here start to interview around Easter time-- late March, early April if they know of vacancies.

It tends to peak in June, then level off until school starts in September.

But I have to warn you of a horrible job market, even in a solid economy.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 2, 2010

It depends...

if someone has vacated their job over the hodildays their position is open.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 2, 2010

Here in PA the peak seems to be June and July, with a few early starters in April and then of course the late fills. When I interviewed a year and a half ago I know my first interview was not until early June, then one in late June, a few more in July, one in August and then an offer mid August from one of the July interviews.

Having said that, suburban PA is extremely tough to get a job and I have no idea at all as far as the more rural part of the state.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2010

Central PA. Really hard to find a job in all the rural and suburban areas where I'm familiar. Especially difficult to find elementary jobs and secondary social studies or english.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2010

Theoretically, jobs could open anytime, anywhere. Some teachers start the year in September with high hopes and decide by January that the job or the profession just isn't for them. More common are maternity leaves- not long term, contracted positions but 'get your foot in the door' kind of jobs. If you already have a job in Washington, why not stay put and just let husband look there? Seems like a better chance than moving to a state where you have no experience, would have to go through new certification processes, and would be looking for 2 jobs as opposed to one....

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 2, 2010

I'll be starting my new position on Monday... the answer to your question is basically when there are jobs open.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 2, 2010

I think most principals are off in July because of their 11-month schedule-here that's the way it is anyway. We still hired through then because we were desperate and our P is a bit of a workaholic. We've added teachers November and January because of enrollment changes or because someone left. For our area, I'd say June and August are probably the heavy hiring season-but many exceptions to that.

I think, a lot of teachers wait until the end of the school year to say they won't be coming back-so the admin doesn't really know before June that they will have openings.

12. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 2, 2010

I'm in South Carolina.

Our contracts usually go out in April, so as soon as they are all turned back in, job postings go up. Most hiring is done from April-June. Some is done in July and August as situations arise and teachers find that they aren't able to return after all.

Like others have said, though, there are openings posted every once in awhile during the year. Things happen and people have to leave the district.

13. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Jan 3, 2010

I'm in Idaho and it seems to really vary when people get hired. Four years ago I was hired by the end of April for the upcoming school year but this past year (due to budget cuts) most hiring was done in July/August and of course there were last minute additions in September! I am in Meridian/Boise area which is not rural so I don't know what the rural areas are like in Idaho.

I see you are from Washington - I think I read an earlier post of yours. I am thinking of moving to the Seattle area this summer (boyfriend is going to law school there). I am super stressed about the job market there.... Any suggestions on school districts around the Seattle area that have more openings then others? When would you suggest applying in your area?

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 3, 2010

:cool:I felt the same way moving from a smaller state to a larger state last year. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the Washington area but, I would go ahead and begin applying. There will be a lucky few hired by March and the rest will be hired in small numbers from April-September. I would definitely get started on the applications and alert your references that they will be getting bombarded with reference requests.
    :)
    Wishing you good luck. No matter what the market, there will always be a limited number of positions. It is important that one of those have your name on it. I would go to some teaching job fairs and find out the protocol for districts that you are really interested in teaching in.

Again, good luck!:D

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2010

Around me (NJ) it seems like immediate positions are filled whenever necessary. Positions for the following year seem to be posted in late spring but interviews don't usually start until around the end of the school year or whenever the budget is finalized. Our school district budgets are voted on by the residents in mid-late April. If the budget is passed, interviews might happen a bit more quickly. if a budget is defeated, the district has to trim money off the budget and interviews are pushed back.

16. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Jan 3, 2010

Well, the past 2 years Seattle School District didn't do much hiring until late August and early September. They had big layoffs. Seattle is a pain because you have to fill out an application for every position and the essay questions for each position, even if your are applying for three positions at the same school. I would recommend looking at a map of the districts in our state and seeing where to apply. You will probably want to look at a radius of at least 3 districts wide in every direction.
    When looking for districts around Seattle, the south end usually has more openings. Also, most of the larger districts around here do "pools," meaning that you will never see exactly how many 2nd grade teachers or LA/SS teachers they are hiring. For example, you would apply to the "Elementary Applicant Pool, 2010-2011" with many districts, and that's all you get to do. You can rate your preferences, but that's about it. Even though I rated K-2 as my preference level, almost all of my interviews last year were for 4th-6th grades. And with these pools, you won't know when the positions come open, or when they will be interviewing. If you want to move here for sure, you should get a WA certificate by August so that if you do get hired 3 days before school (or 3 weeks into school) you will actually be able to do the job.

17. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Jan 3, 2010

I've heard several of you say that sometimes teachers just get tired of teaching and don't come back after break. Does that happen often? I've never heard of that happening around here, other than an illness or extending a maternity leave. Are teachers not under contracts in other states?

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2010

I'm not sure it's that teachers 'get tired', rather they discover the particular job or district or the profession isn't really what they expected, or they are overwhelmed and can't see themselves finishing out the year...there are currently just one or two threads like this on the forums...it's rare but it happens. Yes, there are contract considerations and certainly one shouldn't overlook the effect leaving mid-year leaves on your 'resume'.

19. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 4, 2010

Our teachers are contracted and I have been here eleven years and no one has left mid year. All hiring is done in the spring - it will depend on when the current teachers will let their administration know they are not returning. Our teachers have to sign a letter of intent by March 30th. This means positions can be advertised in early April but most interviewing doesn't start until May and may go through the summer months.