When do districts generally start calling subs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by uscsoccer, Jul 24, 2011.

1. uscsoccer

uscsoccer Rookie

Jul 24, 2011

I'm a brand new graduate looking for a teaching job. I just have my initial certification in secondary English and student teaching experience, and have applied to 40 districts so far. I'm looking to get experience by subbing if I can't get a permanent position--- any ideas when districts start calling for subs? I wouldn't expect them to need anyone during the first few weeks, but October, maybe? I imagine it varies by district, but I'm just looking for some general guidelines.

3. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jul 24, 2011

Depending on how desperate the district is it could be the first week of school. People get sick and things happen out of our control. I think last year I started getting calls the second week of school.

The more schools you are in, the better chance you have of getting called.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 24, 2011

We had a sub the first week one year because a teacher had jury duty! You can easily start working by week 2!

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2011

Last year I got a sub call on the first day of school and then ended up getting hired for the position after subbing it for a few weeks.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 25, 2011

Of course anything can happen at any time for schools to needs subs, however, generally I think two mos into the start of the yr is when it really gets going.

7. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

I was the first called sub in one district I subbed in last school year. I didn't start geting calls until October. I suppose in bigger districts with more teachers, you could get called in sooner. Once I got that first call, I stayed so busy subbing several days a week.

8. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Jul 25, 2011

I remembe on the first day of school that the district needed subs for the entire week! Starting from the first day till the end of the week.