When did you stop feeling like a ”new” teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BookButterfly, Aug 4, 2013.

1. BookButterfly

BookButterfly Rookie

Aug 4, 2013

After subbing for a year, student teaching, and my first full-time teaching gig, I still feel new, like I'm not sure what I'm doing. Switching schools might have something to do with it, but still... It's unsettling!

When did you stop feeling like a new teacher?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

I don't really feel "new" anymore. I'm going into my third year (second at my current school). We hired two or three brand new teachers for next year so I think that helps that feeling.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

My third year felt a lot less 'new'. It wasn't until we got a new teacher that the feeling went away completely- that was my 4th year.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

I sometimes feel a little new still after 6 years teaching... mostly when I'm teaching something I've never taught before... But then, that's what happens when you have a different assignment every year.

Overall, I felt a lot less new last year though.

6. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 4, 2013

I stopped feeling new after my 5th year, which was my 3rd year in my current grade level. I also felt a shift in my team (which is the same as it is now) in how they responded to me. I am going into my 12th year of teaching and the next youngest on my team has 17 years experience. Everyone else has 20+ years. We have been together for 9 years and they were together for 5 years before that with another teacher I replaced. I think it took them a little time to warm to me because they were a little upset about the other teacher being moved. Now we are all on level ground.

7. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

I'm entering my third year of teaching...

I don't feel "new" socially. I have a really good working relationship with my coworkers, and we're friends outside of school. Also, students from different grades recognize me and know I'm a teacher. My first year that was not the case!

However, as far as my teaching skills go, I still feel "new." There is SO much that I still have to learn. So many skills that I need to strengthen before I can be considered not a "newbie." I feel like you don't get really good at teaching until you get close to a decade in. But that's just my personal opinion.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

:yeahthat:
    Every time i feel like i've got a good handle, i observe something and it's like "derp" and i realize how much i don't know, especially during observations. I feel like i am an intermediate teacher and won't be a master one until i hit 15 years (i'm at 7). I do a good job but i feel like i have so much more to learn about pedagogy and reaching difficult (behavior and academic) students. It's easy to teach well behaved, average to above average intelligence children. It's the ones who don't fit the "mold" of ideal student that can be a challenge

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 4, 2013

I've been teaching the same subject and grade for four years (five years total at the school), winding up third in seniority. Well, now I'm being moved to another grade. Even though I'm making the move to become a team leader, I'm probably going to feel very new all over again.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 4, 2013

It took me about five years to stop feeling new. For my first five years I switched schools, subjects, and grade levels each year.

11. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 4, 2013

I'm still feeling new as I go into my third year. My second year I gave birth and was not really present in the school year.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 4, 2013

Once in a meeting my P jokingly said that we have 5 years to use the excuse for being a new teacher. Based on these posts, it sounds like she knew what she was talking about :)

13. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

In my state, you are considered a new teacher for 5 years! We have a 5 year residency program ;)

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

BumbleB, are you in OH? I'm in year 3, but we've been told in meetings that the program is four years. I haven't been to any this year yet, so I'm hoping they haven't extended it!

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2013

I'm finishing up year 3, year 2 in my same school. I don't feel new anymore. I think, like someone else mentioned, it helps that there are new people and I can give them advice. That makes me feel all seasoned and stuff ;)

I know when we move back to the USA and I have to start at a new school again, I'll feel new again.

16. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

Yes. I think the fifth year is to wrap up anything that you can't finish in the fourth. They told us that the test is this year (year 3), and I think you have up to 2 years to keep taking it until you pass. But maybe I am wrong....we know that they are basically just making it up as they go along :lol:

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

Our coordinator likes to call it building the airplane as it flies!

I think I'm going to take the assessment this year. I hate being a guinea pig though.

18. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

Year 5 was the magic one for me.

What assessment are you Ohio posters talking about?

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

20. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

It was probably around my fifth year when I no longer considered myself a "newer" teacher. This will be my thirteenth year at my school. About three years ago, we had a huge retirement, and a whole wave of new teachers started. I began to feel like a veteran at that point, since I have taught there longer than a majority of the faculty.