When Did You Start Enjoying Your Job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 10, 2012

OK, so when we're brand new at our jobs, it could be tough to enjoy it because we're still learning it all & getting into the groove of things.

At what point did you actually start ENJOYING your job?

I'm almost 4 mos into my 2nd year as an SLP & although there's still tons to learn & I haven't graduated yet, I'm actually starting the very tip of the iceberg with enjoying my work! It's a nice feeling! :)

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2012

Immediately. But it was a lot of work. :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2012

I've always loved my job.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 10, 2012

I've always enjoyed my job immediately, at every job I've ever had. I enjoy work, I enjoy challenges, and I enjoy feeling productive. Some moments are tough, and there are some times I'd rather be home on the couch, but I've always enjoyed what I do, even when I was working retail or food service.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 10, 2012

Immediately.
    Part of the excitement is all of the learning.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 10, 2012

Before I even got it! While in my alternative program (I am a career changer) I couldn't wait for my own class.

And learning new things is an ongoing part of the job; my head is still spinning this year.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 10, 2012

Prior to even being credentialed. Even during dark days, I was working at jobs which kept my outlook positive.

I am still enjoying it, though I have my good days and bad.

9. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 10, 2012

I honestly don't know what else I would do with myself. Despite the challenges I face, I love being a teacher.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2012

Absolutely from day one. I just felt like I was doing the right thing, finally.

One of the things I like so much about teaching IS the learning process. I have to get better and learn every day. Every day is different. It's great.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 10, 2012

I guess I'm in a different situation from many here. When I first got hired, yes I was excited & happy, but someone else had to do all the testing, paperwork involved, & speaking at IEPs at first, while I was learning the other aspect of the position of effectively working with the kids & which activities to do with them. I literally got hired just 4 mos after starting grad school, so it's like if you teachers already had to do the job, but were just a few months into first starting your teacher ed/degree program & hadn't even finished all of your student teaching yet & were long away from yet passing your exam(s).

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 10, 2012

You're not alone. I just started loving my job....maybe 2 months ago. I liked it for 2 years, but I hated my school placement and I didn't feel like I knew how to teach well. I have spent a long time reflecting and amassing resources to draw from. It has gotten a little easier and I am more able to be flexible. I still don't think I know how to teach well :lol: but I have some good structures in place. I'm not totally drowning. And kids might actually be learning something!

13. Ethel989

Ethel989 Rookie

Nov 10, 2012

I think I started liking it about 3 months in, and I only started to enjoy it the 2nd year. I was pretty anxious and trying to get everything right my first year. Like FourSquare, I had to become a little more flexible.

14. ally06

ally06 Companion

Nov 10, 2012

I definitely took a few months to start enjoying it - there was so much to learn at first, plus I had moved to a brand new town, that I felt like I was treading water for awhile. It probably wasn't until my second year that I really started to love it.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 10, 2012

I have always liked my job, but I didn't really relax and start feeling like I had a handle on everything for about five years. Until then I never had my own classroom, and I was in multiple buildings and teaching so many different grades and different classes.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2012

I have always loved my job but not always liked it HAHAHAHA.
    What I mean is, there are bad weeks/months and times like conferences, upset parents, paperwork, etc when I do not like it too much.

I can say that I really enjoy teaching reading more now that I use the Daily 5 and CAFE. It allows me to have a more personal relationship with each student. I also seem to 'get' teaching reading better now.

17. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2012

I think I really started enjoying after I moved to my new school, where the administration is better and the pressure lower.

The first two years of my job were ok, but I was in a low performing school with a lot of discipline issues, so it was a challenge. Now, I really find myself loving what I do.

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 10, 2012

QFT.

I said all last year I wanted to be a 3rd grade math and science teacher because I HATED teaching literacy. I realized I just didn't have a good system/structure for reading. I didn't know where to start. D5 and CAFE was the perfect answer! It's my favorite part of the day now. :)

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2012

I love teaching but this year I changed schools and grades. So, while I was excited and happy and loving my new school, it wasn't until week 7 that I finally felt like I had the hang of working with a younger age group, had my routines really down and consequently really started to enjoy my days (by week 7 it finally felt like school....not a zoo!)...

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2012

D5 is a lifesaver.

21. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2012

I liked it when I subbed for 2 years while getting my credential. I loved it during my first 2 years. And now, in my 3rd year, I absolutely LOVE everything about my job. I'm a better teacher, I have a short commute, my colleagues are easy to work with, my students are relatively cooperative, and I teach a subject that I really enjoy.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 10, 2012

Hopefully, this doesn't make me sounds like Pollyanna, but I've loved my job since day one. I've always known I was going to be a teacher (ever since I was seven years old). Yes--the job is tough and there are good days and bad days, but I've always loved what I do.

23. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Nov 11, 2012

Coming from a future teacher, thanks for posting this question! It's a relief to see so many people loved their job from the start, despite the struggles new teachers face. I feel as though it's more common to read about negative/stressful/unhappy stories through this forum, so I was honestly (and pleasantly) surprised to see the responses here. I already feel excited about teaching and always wonder if that will change my first year in the classroom. Let's hope not!

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 12, 2012

I'm a first year teacher, and I can honestly say that I've loved it from day one. It is stressful, overwhelming, and the learning curve is enormous, but nothing compares to those moments when a kid "gets it" or when my whole class gleefully joins in on a song and dance to help us count by 10s. Those are the moments that eclipse all of the struggles.

vivalavida - Hi! Nice to "meet" you. :) How close are you to your first year in the classroom? You will love it.

25. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 12, 2012

I love my job, and have since I started. Right now, I have to say, I am not enjoying the political part of my job-all the data we have to collect, the meetings we have to have to discuss the data(which is always the same thing) and the pressure on teachers to "get those test scores up!" This is NOT why I went into teaching; that is where my frustration lays.

26. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Nov 12, 2012

I've been in a classroom observing and helping out this quarter through my university. Next fall I'll begin my year-long student teaching program and am anxious to begin already! I've wanted to teach since being in 2nd grade so I hope I'll still love it just as much when I begin teaching! Nice to "meet" you too! :)

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2012

I'll be honest. I'm in my 5th year of teaching, 3rd year at my current school, and I'm just now enjoying my job. Of course I hope to be in a different capacity next year so hopefully that position won't take as long to start enjoying.

28. melnm

melnm Companion

Nov 12, 2012

I'm also in my 5th year of teaching, 2nd year at my current job, with a big gap in between. I've taught three different grade levels and think I've found just the right fit for me. I can say with certainty that though I've loved aspects of each class and grade level, I truly love where I am right now and feel like I'm right where I'm supposed to be at this time!

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2012

Let me add that while I said I started enjoying it immediately--which is true--it was a couple years in when I started to NOT enjoy it.

30. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Nov 12, 2012

Oh, maybe I should take back my comment. Ha ha!

31. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 13, 2012

Oh boy. I imagine that comes with the types of things knitter mentioned. As a first year teacher I think I have to say that I am fortunate that I am not expected to take up roles such as grade level representative, or take on too many extra responsibilities, or even deal much with data.

32. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 13, 2012

I liked my job when I first started it. About a month and a half after I started and finished training I started to love it. I love that I can make a difference each day in someone's life. I am learning and loving my new position in my company too. I'm a teacher in a different way. =]

33. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2012

I have enjoyed my job from the very beginning. I first enjoyed it because it was much more interesting than previous work. Once I got more experienced I started enjoying the consistent learning experience and the personal option to alter and add to the experience. I also really have grown to enjoy getting to know the students I work with.