When did you know you wanted to teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mckbearcat48, Jun 22, 2016.

1. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 22, 2016

I figure this could get some good stories and some good conversation on something light and happy. When was that moment when you knew you wanted to be an educator? Mine was sitting at my kitchen table a few years ago tutoring my neighbor. She was doing very well except in Geometry, and she worked with me for a year and ended up with a B+ in the class. Her mother is a former Kindergarten teacher, and suggested that I get into education myself. Since I'm really slow to pick up on signs, it took me awhile to sign up for education classes at the school I got my BAs from (went to law school in STL).

ABC123 likes this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    ABC123 likes this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

5th grade, when I went to the junior high to take Algebra. My teacher was rather strict, but unbelievably organized, always fun, and definitely drove my love of mathematics even further along the way. He let me come back to help correct papers and tests with him in future years, and I often spent an hour or more after school many days helping him out. Granted, I was already setting up "game time", "reading time", "writing time", "recess", etc... with my three younger sisters when I was in elementary school...so, it probably was inevitable :rofl:

ABC123 likes this.
  5. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jun 22, 2016

My freshman year of college I was a business major. My friend and I decided to coach a little league baseball team because we missed playing in high school. Working with kids and teaching them the game made it pretty clear that I needed to change majors to education!

ABC123 likes this.
  6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 22, 2016

There are two answers for me. First, when I was a kid, I wanted to be a teacher like my parents. I had a chalkboard and ran a classroom for all my stuffed animals and dolls. That carried through to my senior year of high school. when I won the Future Educator award. College was another story. I was simply too young and immature to handle my fieldwork, although I loved the theory classes. I eventually dropped out of the education track and thought I'd go to rabbinical school after undergrad. That didn't work out due to my poor Hebrew skills. Eventually, I fell into banking and finance due to my strong people skills. That sounds weird considering I was an English major, but I was really good with customers and with paperwork.

When I turned 30, I decided this was the wrong place for me, and that my real passion really needed to take me back into a classroom. I went back to school a year later (I paid out of pocket after receiving an inheritance from my grandmother) and moved from PA to Ohio with my ELA 7-12 license when I was 33. It took another three years for me to land my first (and current) teaching job in my new state, but that is another story for another day.

ABC123 likes this.
  7. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jun 22, 2016

I have to credit my younger siblings. I have one older sister and I was the baby for 10 years. Then my little sister came along, and two years later my brother was born. Being so much older than them, I was able to help them learn to read, write, do math, etc.
    They were my first students and I didn't even know it!

mathmagic and ABC123 like this.
  8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 22, 2016

I think since 7th grade. (Mostly. There was a brief detour in my thought process in late high school/early college.) I went to a K-8 school and volunteered in a kindergarten classroom every day after school in 7th grade. They got out an hour later than we did. I think I caught the teaching bug then. That kinder teacher wrote in my yearbook that I would need to either be a teacher or have tons of children of my own - haha. I went on to help in children's ministry at my church all through high school.

Also, my mom became a teacher when I was in late elementary school, so it runs in the family. ;)

ABC123 likes this.
  9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2016

Since I can remember.... teacher or nurse. I was always the one kids gravitated to. I love working with kids.

ABC123 likes this.
  10. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 22, 2016

I've known I was going to be a teacher since I was young. I've always loved working with kids and began working my summers at the age of 12 (volunteering) in the daycare at the YMCA where my mom worked. At 14, I started getting paid and continued working there throughout high school. Any job I've ever had involved working with young children. It's just my calling.

ABC123 likes this.
  11. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

Jun 22, 2016

Instead of going to college as soon as I graduated High School I went to Italy (to visit my relatives) for the summer and came back in late September, I celebrated my 18th birthday in Sicily with my moms family:D

So, not knowing what I wanted to go to school for I decided to get a job in a Preschool and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!

I started working with the 2-3 year olds and slowly worked my way up to PreK and then became Assistant Director, at that point I already had my Associate Degree in Early Childhood and 5 yrs experience. I decided to go for my Bachelors in Special Education Birth to K! It was a long process, went to school at night when I became full time at the school, but it was well worth it :):):)

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 23, 2016

Bottom line for me: I never set out in college to be a teacher. But I was in the workforce for a few years after college, and then stumbled into teaching. And of all those jobs, it was the first job I had where I didn't hate getting up every morning to go to work. (I actually woke up with purpose.)
    That's basically it.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2016

I don't ever remember not wanting to be a teacher.

mckbearcat48 and catnfiddle like this.
  14. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jun 23, 2016

I remember meeting with my gifted teacher at the beginning of junior year. She asked me what careers I wanted to pursue and where I wanted to go to college, and I didnt have a concrete answer. She asked me, "What about teaching?" I feel like a light switch turned on that day and it hasn't turned off since.