When did you find out the truth about Santa?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teacherkasey, Dec 16, 2007.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 16, 2007

So, I didn't want to threadjack about St. Nicholas and Santa:p. But I'm just curious when you found out the truth about Santa. How old were you and how did you find out?

I was very nieve. I didn't realize he wasn't real until I was in 6th grade. Yes, 6th grade. I was 11 years old and my friends and I were sitting at the lunch table in the school cafeteria. It was a couple days before holiday break and someone mentioned their parents trying to still trick them into believing Santa was real, but they knew he wasn't. I couldn't believe what I was hearing...lol:lol:. I can't believe I was 11 years old:eek: when I found out he wasn't real. I didn't believe in the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny so I don't know why I held onto the belief that Santa was real.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 16, 2007

My 2nd grade teacher told me. :(

4. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Dec 16, 2007

How inappropriate. :(

I found out in school, too, first grade (may have been second),when another student found out from his or her parents. I can't remember the actual kid. I do remember it happened, that the kid told all of us and the other parents were very upset.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 16, 2007

My parents chose not to "lie" to me (their words). And, they are conservative Christian and downplayed the secular side of Christmas very much. I would never have heard the bell ring (a la Polar Express) :C

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2007

I was 10. My 4th grade teacher did sort of the same thing, saying something like, No one in here believes in Santa, right? And I raised my hand and no one else did, but I still argued with everyone I knew that he was real. Finally I figured it out because my dad left a present to my mom from santa sitting out one year.

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 16, 2007

I was home sick from school one day and my mother told me the truth about Santa. I was in second grade. That was a pretty typical age in my school.

My son figured things out on his own when he was four years old. He talked to me about it and I told him that he was right. Then he said, "But, there better be an Easter Bunny!" I didn't say anything. So, he said, "But, there's NOT is there??!!"

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2007

I can't remember when I found out. I think I was about the same age as you, kasey. It was very late, and I was a little naive child. My daughter will be 4 on Christmas and this is the first year that she's really discussed Santa and getting presents from him.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 16, 2007

My mom told me when I was sick with the flu. I think I was in the 5th grade. The truth is that Santa does exist. Why must everyone think that in order for something to exist it must be possible to see it? If that's true, explain the existance of air to me. You can't see that at all. Santa's real and that's all there is to it.

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2007

Santa got my us a trampoline one year (I was in 4th grade). Only a few weeks before Christmas, I found a receipt for a trampline (with trampoline HIGHLIGHTED) taped to my laundry hamper. My mom still claims she has no idea how it got there. But that's how I figured it out. Santa wouldn't leave a receipt, because Elves don't shop at WalMart, right?

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2007

I don't think I ever truly believed in Santa. But, I still played along. I remember my mom leaving cookies and putting Santas "shoe prints" on the fireplace when I was younger. I remember how hard she had to rub to get those off a few weeks later.

12. smalltowngal

Dec 17, 2007

run, I agree with you. Santa is real in the fact that during this time, the spirit of giving is in full force and that's what Santa is about. And when my daugther asks about it, that's exactly what I'm going to tell her.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 17, 2007

What truth??? In my house if you don't believe, no gifts. My 14 year old told his favorite teacher last year "I believe in Santa, because my mom didn't raise an idiot." He knows when he doesn't "believe" anymore, no more special surprises under the tree Christmas morning.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2007

My third grade teacher (who celebrated a holiday other than Christmas) said to the class, "None of you beleive in Santa anymore, do you?" OK, I was at the age where I probably didn't beleive anymore but was hanging on to the possibility...Really disgusting, right?

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 17, 2007

I love it !!:love:

16. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2007

This will probably be the 1st year that Santa doesn't bring me anything. My family does presents Christmas Eve, Santa Christmas morning. This year, they don't have anywhere for me to sleep, unless I want to share the couch with my uncle (a very scary thought), so I'm staying at my bf's parents. I'm guessing Santa won't find me there. I'm a little sad. :(

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Dec 17, 2007

What truth about Santa?

He comes to my house every year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

18. roamer

roamer Companion

Dec 17, 2007

I'm with RainStorm. Santa is alive and well and comes to visit every year. Sad to say, Santa is more real than a lot of people I know.

19. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 17, 2007

I don't remember this, but my mom has always said that another student told me at school in first grade. She was so mad, she wasn't ready for me to stop believing yet.

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 17, 2007

I found out in 5th grade. I kinda thought there was no Santa but the nun in school confirmed it. She said "Well, you all know there is no Santa."
    But another teacher I work with says "You have to believe to receive."

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 17, 2007

I woke up and saw light outside. I didn't know it was a street lamp and just figured it was morning. Nope. It was in the still of the night and my mom was wrapping gifts and setting things up.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 17, 2007

I never did believe in Santa. The presents were always under the tree before Christmas, and our house didn't have a chimney.

23. smalltowngal

Dec 17, 2007

Our house doesn't have a chimney, but I plan on telling our daughter that we left a key for Santa.

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 17, 2007

My dad told me that is why he leaves the house unlocked, just in case but then he also said even if he didn't he is pretty sure Santa's magic could figure out how to get around that one since many houses don't have chimneys.

25. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Dec 17, 2007

I found out when I was snooping in the second grade and found my toys. I pretended not to know but when my top was not under the tree I was upset. I screamed "Where is my top?" and ran to my parents closet and dug out the top. Man, was mom mad!

Our house didn't have a fireplace. I was told he came through the oven!

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2007

That's too funny. Our house growing up didn't have one either... we were told Santa had a secret knock so parents could let him in.

Still believe in Santa. But I think figured it out when parents got divorced!!! Little hard to believe Santa would come early!!!

27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 18, 2007

FYI Santa never wraps gifts and knows ALL the tricks to getting into locked houses.

28. smalltowngal

Dec 18, 2007

Now run, why didn't you tell me that BEFORE?!? :lol:

29. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2007

He always wraps our gifts.

30. Amers

Amers Cohort

Dec 18, 2007

I don't remember how old I was, but I do remember walking up to my mom in the kitchen and asking her if Santa was real. I think I said something along the lines of "I'm old enough to know." I do remember being crushed when she agreed that there was no Santa Claus. I then asked if the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy were fake too. I was so sad.

I teach 5th grade, and some of my kids have been making comments about Santa not being real. Some have even asked if I believe in Santa. I always tell them someone puts presents under the tree, and it's not me! Of course I believe in Santa! You don't?? I'm not going to be the one to ruin it for them!

I BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS!!! :D

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 18, 2007

This is how I broke it to my kids. I always ask, "What do YOU think?" I keep a thoughtful quizzical look on my face. If they answer "yes," I say, "Okay, there you go." If they answer "no," I ask them why. One year my oldest had some really good answers. I answered what he already guessed. My 8 year old knows this year but last year he asked and said "no" but his answers weren't as thought out. It was more like he was repeating what he had heard. So then I guide him into questions that make him think there is a Santa after all without really saying it.

32. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 19, 2007

33. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Dec 19, 2007

My husband and his brother used to cut the tape on their presents and wrap them back up. Apparently, you could never tell.

I found out about Santa when I was in 4th grade. I had set out the last 4 cookies (Oreos) for Santa in the cookie jar and a glass of milk. The next morning, those same 4 cookies were back in the jar. :blush: Hmmmm....maybe she should have thrown them away. :lol: Oh well. It was probably time for me to figure it out anyway. After all, I was 10.

We told my son this year just because he is in junior high. He said that he kind of had an idea last year but didn't want to say anything. I told him that he could still believe in his heart. If you still believe, you still receive. :love:

34. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 19, 2007

OK, if we are going to talk about opening presents, when I was in 9th grade I had a Home Ec. assignment due. I had to make a skirt and top. So the 2nd Saturday in December, my mother and father went shopping. The old sewing machine I was using was messing up, so I just knew that the big box under the tree was a new sewing machine. I opened it and finished my project. Rewrapped it and my parents did not know until about four years ago. (My dad taught me how to rewrap gifts when I was eight!)

35. smalltowngal

Dec 19, 2007

:eek:

36. shantroy

shantroy Rookie

Dec 19, 2007

My family celebrate Christmas on Christmas eve. "Santa" would come while we were at church. I stopped believing when we came home from church early and caught the neighbour in our living room putting the presents under the tree and eating santa's cookies. He stood there with a cookie in hand looking looking like a deer caught in headlights. No one really knew what to say. I figured it our pretty quick though.

I've posted this story before, but a few years a go the daughter of a family friend was told by some classmates that Santa didn't exist. She was so upset. Her mom asked her what she believed and she responded with "He has to exist mom, coz you and dad would be to cheap to buy all those presents!" About 2 years later she finally said that she didn't believe any more.