When can I search for jobs on NYC Subcentral?

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by robnjessmom, Nov 12, 2011.

1. robnjessmom

robnjessmom Rookie

Nov 12, 2011

Hi all, new here:) I just registered with the NYCDOE Subcentral system and I have gotten called once, but I'm wondering.....everytime I search for jobs on Subcentral, I get "No Records Found" for every search result. The one day I was called, there were plenty of jobs listed, but now zilch no matter how far I expand the search. Are the jobs listed all the time or only during the "callout" times? Please help. Thanks :confused:

3. nancycee

nancycee New Member

Jan 17, 2012

I just registered as well and i never receive any jobs when i search.Has anyone got an idea why?

4. NJSocialStudies

NJSocialStudies Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

The reason you are not getting any jobs is that NYC is bloated with substitutes. I lived in NYC for many years and thought about this as a route to seeing if I was "into" teaching. Back in 2007, you needed to only have graduated college and take one little test and you were in. As you can imagine, lots of people apply. I was able to get, on average, one job a week during a four month span. Nothing you can really survive on in the city. Now fast forward to last year...I was registered as a sub in NYC still and all of a sudden I get an email stating I would need to begin to go to graduate courses if I subbed over 40 days during a school year. I thought that surprising, so I checked out some news on the substitute pool in NYC. It basically is the perfect storm...teachers under tremendous pressure from Bloomberg therefore taking less days off, record amount of subs in 2010-2011 school year (almost 14,000!...there were about 10,000 when I was there), and to top it all off the NYC education department has tacked on all these extra things in order to be a sub in an effort to let less people through the door. However, the last thing has had the opposite effect than intended...instead of less people joining the sub pool, the same amount apply but because they went through all the trouble, they now stick around longer.

So back to the original questions...Why are you not receiving jobs? Well, first off, there are 15,000 subs, for 75,000 positions. For all subs to have a job once a week, 20% of NYC teachers would have to call out once a week. Second, though they are completely banned by NYC public schools, countless people use auto-accept devices to retrieve jobs...and once a job is retrieved it can't be searched for. Therefore no jobs will show up.