When buying Christmas gifts...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Loves the beach, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Nov 12, 2013

When buying Christmas gifts....

don't tell your friends what you are getting them and then back out! :rolleyes:

My sister-in-law was asking me if I like Vera Bradley purses/totes. I told her that I'd never owned one, but that I had always wanted one. She went on to tell me that she was on the website, and there was this really good sale on baby diaper bags (I'm expecting in a few months). She asks me about my favorite color, etc. She finally completely spills the beans and says, "Do you think you'd want one for Christmas?" Of course I was super excited and said yes!! So I've been thinking about this darn diaper bag all week. :lol: I know, not a big surprise, but I didn't care. I was excited!!!

Today my mother-in-law calls to tell me that she's been Christmas shopping. She says that while shopping, my sis-in-law was telling her to consider the Vera Bradley diaper bag as a gift for me. Told me that sis-in-law had already done Christmas shopping for me, or she'd get the bag for me. Sis-in-law went on to tell her that I seemed super excited about it, etc. Then mother-in-law starts describing all the beautiful bags, colors, patterns, compartments, how comfortable it was on her shoulder, etc. How she thought it was very practical because it was washable. How she loves all her Vera Bradley handbags and she thought I'd love one too. AND THEN! Tells me, "I'm not going to get you one of those, though. I just didn't think that seemed like anything you'd want."

So I know mother-in-law was trying to be thoughtful (I think???), but I'm so disappointed!!! I even tried to find the diaper bag on the internet, but I don't see any that fit my sis-in-law's description and price. I want to call her up and be like "Tell me how to find that bag since no one's getting it for me!!!" but I feel really weird doing that.

So, the moral of this story is: Keep all Christmas gifts a secret, especially if you're going to talk it up and then back out! :dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2013

I'm all about letting people know exactly what i want. if they do not buy it for me, I'll get it for myself.:D

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 12, 2013

This motto has worked very well for my life. :thumb:

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2013

Ive found my gift givers would rather know what I want than simply guess...put it this way...it's the thought that counts, but wouldn't you rather give a gift that someone actually wants?

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 12, 2013

Maybe this was an effort to divert you from what they are really getting you. We tell my 13 yr old GS that he is getting a pink Barbie every year.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2013

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!!!

Call your sister in law and ask her which style it was.

Sale items are an additional 25% off!! http://www.verabradley.com/category/Sale/Mom-and-Baby/989/pc/785.uts Their lowest prices are always for their "sale colors"-- so click on that link and choose from the patterns there. Remember: dark shows less dirt.

Also consider the Lands End diaper bags. Our large one got me through 3 babies and looked great: http://www.landsend.com/shop/search?Ntt=diaper Right now it's 30% off everything.

Also keep in mind that if your diaper bag is too girly, your husband will feel silly carrying it. So Lands End might be the better option than those gorgeous Vera Bradley florals.

You'll want more than one diaper bag, so getting another at your shower won't be a big deal. So don't feel funny-- find out from your sister in law which one she described.

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 12, 2013

I feel the same way. I usually ask loved ones: "Give me three or four ideas," and I usually choose one of them...this way I know they'll be happy.

So many times as a teacher I would get bottles of wine from my students' families. "Well, we figure you're a man." Uh...so that means I like my vino since I have facial hair? ;)

Of course, I've received gift cards for day spas, so now I'm grateful for the parents who actually ASK me what I'd like. :)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2013

I don't have facial hair, but would be appreciative of a bottle of wine from parents!

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 12, 2013

LOL! If only I lived closer...I'd pass any I receive over to you! ;)

(Sorry if it didn't sound like I was appreciative).

11. Loves the beach

Nov 12, 2013

Good points, especially about my husband. I would feel silly carrying a fashion bag if I was a man!

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 12, 2013

I think the 25% off Sale ended at Vera Bradley because I can't get it to show up. I should have ordered this weekend. :(

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 12, 2013

I like the element of surprise. I don't make a list for my parents usually. I do make a list for BF, but he knows to get me one thing not on the list. I do the same for him :)

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 12, 2013

I make lists and I give lists. I want to get people things they will appreciate. I love Christmas!!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2013

Oh, no, you're right!!!

OK, so wait for Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales and see what comes up!

16. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 13, 2013

I have been researching diaper bags obsessively, what with twins on the way, and the skip hop bags get great reviews. I like that it has lots of compartments and that the inside isn't dark, which makes it harder to find things. They are pricy but I know people who swear by them.

As for the sister-in-law thing, she shouldn't have done that, especially to a pregnant woman!:)

17. Loves the beach

Nov 13, 2013

Someone mentioned this to me recently, that having two diaper bags is helpful. Did you have one for taking to the babysitter's and one for just going out in general?

18. Loves the beach

Nov 13, 2013

I've never thought about the inside of the bag. That's a good point.