When asked if it's your first year...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 17, 2008.

1. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 19, 2008

Yeah. I had this ALL year. One parent insisted her daughter was failing because I was YOUNG. She would first call me, then she switched to guidance and finally would just call my AP. She was the only parent who gave me a problem and blamed me for their child failing. Meanwhile, the girl would cut mandatory tutoring & my class. Besides the fact that the mom never came up to see me for parent teacher night.

All the other parents were very supportive that I was a young teacher (23yo).

2. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

Did the principal set the parents straight? If they do move the girl, at least you don't have deal with the parents anymore, so it might be a blessing. Good luck! :blush:

3. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 19, 2008

I was honest. I think the parents appreciated that. At the end of that year the parents and students said I was the most creative teacher they ever had.

4. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Hey don't feel bad! This is my third year at this school, I'm grade chair and the parents STILL assume I'm someone's big brother at open house! I'm 28, but I could still pass for a High School Senior!
    Oh well, I still get carded, that makes me feel good.... :D

5. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

I was never asked if it was my first year...my kids did ask though many times and I would tell them. :) I am 23 and I was 21 my first year and I look like I am 12 years old so I was very suprised :)

I think it all depends on how you act and how forward you are with them. If you seem to know your stuff they wont quesiton you :)

good luck!!