When are you "allowed" to go back?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by knittingbec, Aug 2, 2007.

1. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I just stopped into the school office yesterday to ask if there had been any word as to what grade I'll be teaching this year (First! Hooray!) and asked what the first day we'd be able to get into our classrooms this year is. I thought the secretary was kidding when she told me August 22 (the day we report for teacher meetings!) We have meetings the 22 & 23, which gives us just the 24th (oh, and Saturday and Sunday, of course) to prepare in our rooms for school to start on Monday the 27th.
    Last year, some teachers I know were working in their rooms in July!

I'm frustrated! How much time before school starts are you "allowed" to go back and work in your rooms?

3. LeslieC

LeslieC Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

We were allowed to come back as soon as the wax dried in all the hallways/classrooms, which was last week. We don't "report" for duty until the 20th. As long as the custodians are there, we can be there.
    I couldn't imagine not being able to go back with only one day to get my room together; it takes one day to unpack everything from the year before.

4. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm starting in a new district and won't get my keys until 2 days before school starts.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

I keep my keys all summer, so as long as they are not cleaning my room or cleaning the floor in the hallway, I can get in. I've been working summer school, so I usually stay after a bit and do a few things. But I'm pokey when it comes to this stuff, so its good that I have until Sept. 5! ;)

6. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Just like LeslieC we can come anytime there's someone there as long as there's no wax on the floors. They turn the air conditioning off in the summer so most teachers don't come until the week before we have to report when it's back on all over the building.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

We were never "kicked out". I've been in and out all summer. Kinda hard not to since it's my room and I have things to get done. We were banned temporarily while they waxed the floors but the principal is good about having them do that at the very start of summer vacation so we have the entire summer to come and go.
    We start back on the 28th for inservice. I need about three more full days to finish up in the room then one day to just do copies.

8. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

I'm frustrated too. I'm not allowed into my room until the 13th... the first day teacher's report to school for pre-planning. The most frustrating part for me is that other teachers are already able to get into their classrooms... the 2nd grade hall just isn't ready yet. I'm a first year teacher... I need more time!!! :eek:

9. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Our school allows us in all summer as long as they are not cleaning. I really appreciate this since I am a first year teacher. It has given me the opportunity to get a lot done.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2007

I got hired on July 10th but the principal was on vacation until August. He emailed me on the 1st and I went and saw my classroom. I haven't even signed my contract yet (because of out of state certification-still waiting for it) but he said I can start moving in whenever I want. I'm going tomorrow!

I'm kind of worried, because my school is on a military base, and I know they're not sure of enrollment and might not need me. (I would be moved to another school in the district if that happened.) But I don't think they'd let me set up my classroom if there's a chance they wouldn't need me.

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

We can come and go as we please, as long as they are not cleaning or waxing the floors. They have been done in my room for a few weeks now. I went in a couple times last week just to drop some stuff off, and I worked in there for the first time yesterday. Our first official work day is Aug 13 and school starts Aug 20. I'm going to be over there working a lot tomorrow.

12. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

At my last school they held on to the keys until a couple weeks before school started, but I just moved and they let us come and go all summer. Teachers are allowed to leave stuff up and unpacked - some even left their class pets there and come in regularly to check on them. I'm completely amazed by this extra freedom!

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

If I was you, I would call or email your principal & ask. I wouldn't even mention having heard the other date from the secretary. They probably thought you meant something different (like when you HAD to come in instead of when you could start to come in).

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2007

We need to turn in our keys when we leave on the last day. We can get them back (and go in to work) the last week of August--school starts after Labour Day. I know that a couple of teachers are going to try to go in earlier, but I certainly won't risk the wrath of the caretakers even though I know that my room is done. We don't have meetings, etc. so that whole week is our own.

15. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

We can pretty much start going in anytime now. Our school was being renovated, so we were "banned" until that was done. I am staying out of the way a little longer because we have wonderful custodians and they still have a lot to do. Our grade level got new desks, and they still need to be put in the rooms and assembled. Our custodial manager promised me that she would have that all done by the end of next week. I plan to spend lots of time at school beginning on August 15th. My husband is taking a day off to help me move my furniture and get that part of the room set-up (my principal is forbidding me from touching furniture because I am pregnant AND I hurt my back the last week of school...though it has been FINE since then). We have a in-service on August 20th, then our official teacher start-date is August 27th (with the 27th and 28th being meeting days).

16. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Our custodians run the place; they basically don't want teachers in the building until workshop week. It is very frustrating to not be able to get into your classroom.
    We do have an entire week before classes, BUT most of that time is meetings and inservice trainings (probably 1 day available in classroom). So I end up working the week from 600 am to 8:30 pm just to get ready.
    Its frustrating.

17. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

We have summer camp in our rooms until 23 and parents night is guess...23 yup crazy right? Our principal tries to move groups around so we can get in the day before. We can always go in while they are outside. Crazy as this sounds it all works out in the end. It would be easier if we could get in (alone) 3 days before. Imagine what we could do if we had 3 full days :)

18. twinmom

twinmom Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

We have to pack up EVERYTHING in our rooms- take down all bulletin boards, pack everything in boxes, etc. We can leave things on our bookshelves and pack up closets, but there is still a lot to pack up. I've changed classrooms 8 times in 10 years, so I have to pack up every scrap I own every year. We are not allowed in our rooms until a week before school opens- it can be delayed a day or two depending on if the custodians are finished moving and waxing floors.

I cannot believe you just found out what grade you are teaching! We find out 2 weeks before school ends what grade we'll have the following year and what classroom we'll be in.

Twinmom

19. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

Once our rooms are clean we can get back in! There is a camp in our building over the summer so cleaning does not get done until afte that is over! I never have felt (or wanted to) go back until about 2 weeks before!

I too, would call your principal and ask him/her about getting into your room!

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

I've complained on here the whole summer so one more post wouldn't matter. We have been given 2 days to unpack and get our rooms back into order.

21. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

We can come and go all summer unless they are waxing your classroom or the hallway by your room. Our school is shaped like a square, so you can always go around unless they are waxing right in front of your room! Our custodians like it when others come in. It gives then a little break to talk for a few minutes. They work really hard and deserve a little break now and then! If I didn't talk to them, who would I get the gossip from! ;)

22. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I just moved to a new school

so I have been able to work in my room at anytime-except when the custodians waxed the floor=I stayed away at that time

I had my furniture arranged and had started unpacking and was told yesterday that they will be painting my room-I just love how they wait until the last minute when they had all summer long to get this done-so I had to move everything to the center of the room-but as least I know where I want to put everything-Teachers have to report on the 15th for meetings and Inservice-Students report on the the 20th I was hoping to have everything done:woot: