"When are we ever going to use this?" "Why don't you tell me?"

Discussion in 'High School' started by LimaUniformNovemberAlpha, Feb 17, 2021.

1. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha Rookie

Feb 17, 2021

The subjectline is not a verbatim piece of dialogue from back when I was a teacher. (Not that I could prove it even if it were.) It is not even a summary of what happened.

The first quotation in the subjectline, however, is a paraphrased version of my students' skepticism of the lessons' usefulness, in one town in which I taught.

The second quotation in the subjectline, in turn, is neither a quotation nor paraphrased, but the essence of my pre-emptive response, to students who never asked the former question, in another town in which I later taught.

Whenever I needed to assign students a unit project that was neither a test nor a quiz, my go-to method for most units was to give them a presentation project, on a particular real-life use of the unit's concepts. I am not sure whether or not they'd have asked "when are we ever going to use this" without it, but I think it is worth making the students themselves answer, in front of each other, when they are going to use this, if only to make sure their motivation isn't impeded by the belief that useless knowledge is being imposed on them.

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2021

Sometimes it is not the knowledge but the process of learning the knowledge that is the real learning.

mrsf70 and Substitutemw like this.
  4. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Feb 18, 2021

And yet, arts majors don't make as much money as science majors.

"The process of learning the knowledge" can apply to all sorts of things, from video games, to webforum debates like this one. "Helping the poor climb the social ladder through WHAT they know instead of WHO they know" should be of higher priority.

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2021

There are students who will never use some of the knowledge they are being taught. But to combat that, you can always point to the subset of skills they are improving and learning and where that is used in other applications. A student will never learn or improve the same subset of skills learning history as they do learning math. Some skills are the same, but others are very different.

6. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Feb 18, 2021

Right, but if you could teach skills in a manner that also teaches useful knowledge, that would be even better.

The curricula public officials present to the people when seeking re-election speak of knowledge AND skills, not knowledge "or" skills. That suggests they are forking over tax dollars for the promise that the two will be blended as best as humanly possible.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2021

The least taught skill in education is teaching student how to learn.

8. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Feb 18, 2021

Probably because that differs for every student. If some of my college instructors heard how much of a head start I got on the material just by listening to audio about it while doing other things they wouldn't believe it.

EDIT: Also, how do I change the subjectlines? I wish to emphasize the "you" and the "me" as "YOU" and "ME," respectively, in the subjectline.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021