When and how to apply (NC help as well)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lnm130, Aug 5, 2008.

1. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I'm not sure if this is in the correct place...

Alright, I am graduating in December with my degree in Early Childhood Education. Considering the job market here in Ohio, I think I have made up my mind to relocate out of state. I am looking at North Carolina, in the Greensboro area. After graduation, I will resume my job in a daycare here i Ohio until I am able to secure a job.

I have a few questions...

When will I begin to see job openings?

When should I apply?

How would the interview process work? Phone interview?

If you are from NC, what is the job market like in the Greensboro area?

Just any advice is helpful! Thanks so much!

3. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I am teacher in NC and here is what I know...

When will I begin to see job openings? Job are year round here....you will see jobs all over NC open and close throughout the year. There will be a job fair usually in November that will have the openings for the spring.

When should I apply?You have to first apply with NC DPI and then to the county so around the end of October and beginign of November I would apply to the state. Then I would start looking at the website http://www.gcsnc.com/ to see what jobs are posted. Then apply when you see one open.

How would the interview process work? Phone interview? You would probably get a call saying they received your resume and want an interview. You could then ask if you could have a phone one since you are in Ohio and they will say yes or no. If no then you would have to come for a face to face interview. They should let you do a phone one.

If you are from NC, what is the job market like in the Greensboro area? Job market here is plenty...we have a shortage because we don't pay alot...Guilford county is a GREAT county and pays one of the most salaries but still it isn't alot. You could also try Wake County or Charlotte Mecklenburg....hope this helps

good luck

4. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Thanks so much for your reply. I have seen that the wages are lower there, but the cost of living also seems to be lower as well?

The application process makes my head spin!!

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 5, 2008

The application process isn't so bad. I've seen worse :) Job prospects seem to be plentiful here, I had almost no trouble securing a job. Like someone mentioned, the pay can be...you know...but the friendly people, warm weather, and CHEAP housing makes it all worth it to me.

I don't know about the area you specifically asked about, I'm new to NC.

6. smannes

smannes Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Ditto to all of the information above.

I live in Greensboro but work in Alamance County. Guilford schools are a little tougher to get in to. They pay more but you don't have a choice as to what school you would like to teach at. There are a lot of people from Ohio down here :)

Oh, and the myth of cost of living. I will say that housing is cheaper here but that's about it. I moved from NJ last year (an expensive state) and everything, except housing, was cheaper in NJ than in here in Greensboro.

7. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

so the surrounding counties are decent schoolwise? If so, I will probably try to apply to all of them.

I don't know that I could apply so soon, as I will have no income during my student teaching and obviously need to save up money before the big move. It would probably be spring time before I move.

I have read that beginning salary down there is about 30k. Is this right?

Any reccomendations as to where to look for an apartment? I just do not want to land myself in a bad area.

I have other questions as well, but for now this is all that comes to mind. Keep the advice coming, and thanks for those who have already commented!!

8. NewNCTeach

NewNCTeach Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Hey Inm30, I am moving to Charlotte this weekend actually for my first job. I know there were a lot of positions in the Durham area and they really liked me there, but I liked Charlotte a lot more, more urban. I am relocating from Atlanta and I must say that it was a terrible time finding an elementary job in the Charlotte area, especially CMS. I hope the situation there is better when you get there. Good luck. BTW, I am moving to the Uptown area, it seems really nice and right in the heart of everything. It's more expensive, but compared to living in Atlanta, it's a breeze. The apartment I have in Uptown would easily be TWICE as much here in Atlanta close to the city.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

I know little about CMS (never even been there!) but I've read on teachers.net that they were in a massive hiring freeze for MONTHS! It was awful. People were getting hired...then let go...then hired again. Hopefully next summer will be better.

Keep in mind that Wake county is year-round. Just something to know :)

10. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 8, 2008

Ok, so I have done my research, and would ideally like to live in the middle of the Triad area, in Kernersville. This also depends on where I end up working as well, but I think that with the town being between High Point, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem that I would be able to find something. So I should apply to the state in November for a job that would begin in the spring? The process is just so overwhelming, and I haven't even student taught yet...I am such a planner, that I figure it is better to figure all of this out now, than to be surprised in the end.

11. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I called today and found the my license will transfer over, so in November I will apply to the state, (assuming I can do this without graduating yet?) and then to the counties. (Do I need to have a valid NC license to apply? Or will applying to the state give me my license?) I have heard that there are job openings usually in December, does that mean that those jobs begin in December, or a few months after?