When a teacher or aide is not well

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Myname, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Myname

Myname Comrade

Nov 22, 2006

do you all still have them come to work?

How does your employer handle a sick teacher or aide?

Do you all have enough staff to cover or does the teacher need to stay due to numbers?

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Nov 22, 2006

It depends on the situation. In public school special ed a sub aide would be called for a special day class but not for a resource class.
    For a sick teacher a substititute would always be called. sometimes they do try to get the teacher to come in.

4. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Nov 22, 2006

I am the director in a private preschool. If a teacher or one of their famiy is not well I want them to call in sick and I will get a substitute.
    At this time I do not have a huge list of substitutes but I am working on getting others.
    I prefer that if the teacher is not well herself that she stays home because how she fees effects the children also.

5. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Nov 22, 2006

As an aide in a private pre-school, I call in sick. The one time I came in sick, my boss sent me home. If she feels she really needs extra hands, she'll call in a sub.

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 22, 2006

In California, I need an aide present to keep my ratio within state regulations. My aide has a list of subs to call when she or her children are sick.

7. MissWilliams

MissWilliams Rookie

Nov 22, 2006

It depends on the center.

When I worked Head Start, there were subs and assistants and you could call in. :)

When I worked

1.corporate childcare and

2.for the largest nonprofit org. in America, we were told we had to come in. Even if you were vomiting..until they could get coverage.

For #2, there were 2 directors and numerous assistants. I believe I still have my handouts from the staff meeting about all of this. It reads like a horror prospectus.:eek:

8. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Nov 23, 2006

Most places don't have adequate staff, in my experience.

9. Weaver

Weaver Rookie

Nov 27, 2006

At my center, there are more uncleared people than cleared now(we just went throguh a major turnover with teachers leaving all together), so if your sick and are already at work you can pretty much plan that you won't be able to go home. Usually they hold you off and say "As soon as we can", your there still pretty much of the day anyway. What I think is pretty sad is most of the time the ones getting sick are working long hours through lunches and so forth that they are coming down with pneumonia and bronchitis which are serious if not taken care of properly. I say call in why you can.

10. Myname

Myname Comrade

Nov 29, 2006

The reason I asked this is because I have a coworker who will come in sick. Ear infections every winter, and she is in pain. Her eardrum ruptured and she was still there. It is actually harder to work with a sick coworker who is not functioning. I would rather have an extra set of hands in there who knows nothing of our routine than have a sick coworker.
    I do appreciate my coworker when she comes back from being sick. I never realized how much she and I got done in a day together until she wasn't funcitoning 100%.

11. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Nov 29, 2006

Gotta agree with you there. This is the worst age to try to work with while not feeling well.