When a student lies....

Discussion in 'High School' started by flutetoot, Mar 4, 2015.

1. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Mar 4, 2015

I'm just looking for some advice/suggestions here:

I teach 9th grade English. I have a student who since the beginning of the semester (our semester began in January) refused to do any work at all in class. When given assignments, he would simply ignore them or throw them away. This went on for about a week until I contacted the parents, then administration. Parents did not respond. Administrators gave the young man ISS where he *had* to do work. When he came back to class, he promptly went back to refusing to do any work. This continued for a couple of weeks, the back and forth, and parents still never contacted me back.
    Finally, the mother came when mid-quarter grades went out. She was very upset that her son was failing. I explained to her what had been transpiring, and so did my administrator. She begged me to allow him to make up the work. I gave him the assignments again. He never returned them.
    Now the son is telling his mother that he gave me all the assignments and I took them from him, thanking him! Truth is, this boy never handed in a thing! Yet the mother is now saying that I am lying, a racist and want her son to fail. (This is not true at all). According to her, her son *never* lies since he is a good "Christian" and I just don't like him because he is black.
    Obviously, it is my word against this kid, and there are no witnesses that he handed anything in.
    What should I do? :dizzy: :help:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2015

Kick it up to admin.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2015

Yup!

5. Carliee

Carliee Rookie

Feb 18, 2016

Require him to turn things in electronically. One thing I love about turnitin.com is that students are e-mailed a receipt automatically upon submission of an assignment. This gives two-way accountability. Google Docs is less reliable and things can disappear, especially if the student doesn't realize that deleting it on their end deletes it on yours eventually.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2016

My favorite reason for using Google Docs in class, and I admit that I haven't used your product. Personally, I do love Google Docs, warts and all, because there is a learning curve that I feel HS students SHOULD experience in using the product. Not only will the time be recorded, but so will revisions, any correspondence between teacher and student or between students if a group project. This is a digital product that is out there in the real world, which should be extremely relevant to a student not doing their work, since the prospects of college are not all that promising at this point in time.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Carliee likes this.
  7. Carliee

Carliee Rookie

Feb 18, 2016

My team agreed to use turnitin.com, mostly to catch plagiarism within the school. I'm finding it to be a great learning tool for students who get a high percentage (meaning they probably plagiarized). I have it set so that they see their percentage and can rewrite on their own initiative without getting stuck with a district mandated zero if I catch it (and I'm a plagiarism finding machine). Our district pays for a subscription to the site, and it was messed up my first trimester. Now it seems to be working well for the most part.

Yes, Google Docs has its advantages. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I wish it could sort papers by class as they come in and not delete things I might not have gotten to yet.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 18, 2016

I would also involve admin at this point, because if the parent is accusing you of being a racist and a liar, it seems that no matter what you say or do, it will be met with resistence.
    As far as why he lies, there could be a lot of reasons. We have kids who don't want to do the work because they're very low and don't want to admit it, it's just easier to not do the work and get an F, as opposed to try to do it and still get an F and then it's about ability and not just not doing it.
    We have a kid who used to do half of the work then throw it away (obviously there were a lot of other issues, but he was also way below grade level).

He could be lying because parent expectations are higher than what he can achiee and it seems that the parents are not in touch with reality: not contacting you back, believing everything what their kid says vs believeing a professional, etc.
    I would contact te parent every time something is due and was or was not turned in. I feel that the parent now feels stupid, because you pointed out how many times you tried to contact them and they didn't resond. They look bad. The easiest thing to do is calling you a racist and hide behind it.
    Document everything.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2016

Wise words.

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2016

A little off-topic, but Google Classroom does this -- it's free and part of the Google Apps for Education if your school is a member.

Carliee likes this.
  11. Andy Ronon

Andy Ronon Rookie

Jun 22, 2016

Bring the parent in and the student in. Give him a sample reflecting the totality of the work and then ask him to give whirl. If he's been doing all of the work, he should be near flawless. If he hasn't done the work, he will be stomped. Let the parent grade it as you are call out the answers from the answer key.
    After he fails it in front of the parents just sit there and stare at both of them until one gives the reason why that is possible.

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019