What's your theme?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by applecore, Jul 28, 2010.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 28, 2010

I have decided that this will be my last year using frogs as my theme in the classroom.

Who'd a thunk that frogs would be so catchy? Yep, you guessed it. Three...count them, 1-2-3, teachers have hopped on the lily pad decorating in frogs this year and croaked out their bests frog decorations. Who knows what will happen next year? We might have a whole passel of frogs! Just exactly what do you call a family of frogs any ways? Are they like fish, do they go to school? Or are they like a herd of cows?

It's already too late for this year. I've decorated my welcome board in "frogtastic" and put up a couple of froggy type posters. The theme is "Be an original, not a copy". And I laugh histarically because my "original" idea has been copied...of course not on purpose. But still. Next year, I'm thinking that I need to do a major overhaul and say hasta luego to senor frog.

What themes do you pick for this year?

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

I have a sports theme. I chose it last year because I had a class of 12 boys and just 2 girls. I kept it again because I liked how it stressed teamwork within our class (and I just didn't feel like changing it!).

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 28, 2010

Sports. Now that's original and easy to live with. I appreciate not wanting to change, and I totally support the teamwork effect. Totally keeping that one in mind.

5. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 29, 2010

I'm also doing a sports theme, focusing on teamwork. I found lots of decorations at the Dollar Tree and in Really Good Stuff. I hope to use different sports teams' scores for graphs, etc.

6. britac11

britac11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

I am doing a detective theme! Hope my new 3rd graders like it :)

7. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 29, 2010

Sports seems catchy. Nice!

Oh, detective theme! I can so dig that one too. Orignal and mysteriously fun!

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

I have done a new theme each year. Each is fully described with ideas and photos on my blog if you need ideas for a specific theme I have:

beach/tropical
    Charlotte's Web/Farm
    Western
    Mystery/Detective
    Jungle
    Camping

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2010

If anybody wants some of the documents I created for my sports theme (job cards, binder covers, etc.), PM me your e-mail and I can send them to you.

I think my favorite part of my theme is my poster that asks "Did you use your head?" It has a picture of a soccer player heading the ball, and then models how the students are to put their heading on their papers :)

10. minimar1

minimar1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

I am doing a pirates and mermaids theme. This is actually the first year that I choose a topic and I am very excited about it!

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 2, 2010

Thank you for sharing your theme ideas---I'm taking notes for next year. A beach theme seems to be the one that I'm supposed to be looking at--I've had it pop up a few times in my day for the past week; or maybe I'm just longing to be close to one, being land-locked and all.

Love the blog, iheartrecess! I became a fan the minute I saw your organization. I love how you're sharing your gifts and talents with us :)

Sports seemes to be a great theme here. How cool that you have matching items for your class, amakaye!--I need to keep that one in mind for next year too.

Arrrghh...pirates and mermaids! The kids are totally going to love it--if not, make 'em walk the plank! Best wishes on your first theme year, minimar

12. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

I have a beachy, tropical theme. However, I do not go way overboard with it. I don't want to distract my kiddos. But it does tie everything together and presents a cohesive look.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2010

My co-teacher and I are both football fans, so we choose a football theme and our slogan is "Are you ready fro some third grade?" (like the Monday Night football song that goes "Are you ready for some football?") :) Hopefully we can get it all decorated in time for school!

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2010

Agreed! Usually I do the outside welcome bboard, the cubby tags, and the job bboard with the same theme. Sometimes the name tags on desks match if I can find them. Other than that, nothing else usually goes along with the theme. But since I have a co-teacher this year, we'll see how things go...esp since I'll be on maternity leave for 3 months...lol.

15. lbel

lbel New Member

Aug 8, 2010

amakaye I would like for you to please send me the sports documents that you have. I'm thinking about this theme too. My email address is lsan34@yahoo.com Thanks ;)

16. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I'm doing polka dots.

17. BES2010

BES2010 Rookie

Aug 8, 2010

Hey all. his is my first year teaching and i struggled for a bit to come up with a theme. I finally decided that I am doing a nature theme. mostly focusing on plants, trees, flowers, vines, the green stuff. My welcome board is going to say "Welcome to the GREENEhouse". It works out great because not only is green my favorite color but it is my last name, clearly with an "E" on the end.

Anywho I found some great boarders that i can use (vines, grass, white fence, bees (needed to pollinate in a greenhouse)). My name tags have vines on them, I plan on having a T.R.E.E (Taking Responsibility Each and Everyday) folder and other stuff. Still haven't taught of some good job names though.

18. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

Last year I did an extreme sports theme and the kids loved it. Had Vista print stuff made up to go with "Challenge yourself to succeed" there are many motivational posters etc. So you would think I would stick with that??? Too long a story to go into but no I am doing a "Sea" theme for the first time. So far I have...
    Reading Corner:
    Banner w/ pic of a reef: "Readers Reef" Dive into a good book!
    With blue rug, 2 beach chairs (blue and lime green striped), 1 blue and 1 lime green beanbag.

BB Set: (says) Come learn with me under the sea! Underwater background paper, coral & underwater stuff, fish that have different things we will learn i.e. division, metaphors etc.

Bathroom mats/tank set with dolphins on them.

Now onto Vista Print to make up some cute incentive postcards etc.

19. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 9, 2010

:lol:

20. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 9, 2010

Past Themes I've used:

Fifth Grade Rocks! (this lent itself nicely to both music and geology)

Welcome to a New School of Fish! (our school was brand new that year and I used ocean creatures of all kinds)

Wild About Second Grade! (used Where the Wild Things Are characters, and later, wild animals)

Second Grade: Your Place to Shine! (this year)

21. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

:lol: Sorry, I'm easily distracted and amused...LOL

I love love love all your awesome ideas.

Sports. Wow! Who knew it was so popular :thumb: up!

I found an idea to add to my classroom thanks to all of you sharing...you made me think how I could totally make my frogtastic theme into something more original.

I saw this in a really cool room! Here's how I'm describing it, so put on your imagination hats and think hard with me:

brown wrapping paper you use to wrap packages with to put in the mail that you can buy at Walmart (or so I've been told)

Wire to hang from one wall to another; or suspend across the room high enough but not to interfere with "fire codes" ('cus you know you don't want to mess with Fire Marshall Bill's fire codes!).

Green vines or vines with grapes or flowers, or whatever

You gotta string the wire and make it taut enough to make it not sag. Then you gotta wrap the wire with the brown paper like it's a big ol' vine winding around it. Then you gotta wrap the vines around that.

Clear as mud?

It honestly looks soooo much cooler in real life! I wish I could have taken a picture.

Any ways...

There's my added 2 :2cents: to my own thread....I so need some sleep before next week!

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 13, 2010

I have a Dr. Seuss theme. Places are starting to get more pre-made Seuss items, but a lot I suppliment with bright colors and fun shapes.

23. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

Very cool! I know a teacher who uses Dr. S every year and does a really awesome job with the whole shapes, poems, math, etc. with it...he teaches kindergarten by day and then plays guitar in a rock band by night. You don't happen to sing back up in his band do ya?:lol:

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 14, 2010

Don't think so, even though I do sing with our praise team.

25. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

Even better :)

26. missthepiano

missthepiano New Member

Aug 29, 2010

I had a frog theme for 3 years. Now I have a beach/ocean theme.
    I looped with some of my second graders, and they appreciate the change.

27. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

I have done:
    Western/Horse/Corral
    Frogs/Turtles/Pond
    Under the Sea
    At the Circus
    Construction/Building Success

I would like to do:
    Ocean/Beach
    Games/Sports
    Travel/Safari

Interestingly, a younger sibling was in my room at the end of Open House the other night and after looking around, she asked me, "WHY are there horses and boots everywhere in here?!!" Ha ha!! :eek:

28. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Sep 4, 2010

This year I am doing a "Bee Theme."

For the BB it says "Welcome to Our Hive."
    For Behavior Chart ~ Be on your best behavior.
    In the reading corner I have "We Buzz About Books, and Be a Reader."

I have done Shining Stars too and love it. I think I am going back to shining stars next year.

29. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

I have an understated beach theme. I wanted to have a theme without compromising a cozy, calming, homelike atmosphere. Feel free to check out my homepage to see photos! I'd link it here, but I'm a new member. I haven't earned that privilege yet. I believe you can access it by clicking my name though, correct?

30. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie