What's your teacher personality?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 12, 2016

What the subject says.

Are you the old-school type? The relaxed one? The no-nonsense one?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 12, 2016

I think no-nonsense. I was told recently that it seems like I run a tight ship! YUP and proud of it! The only problem is when I get students that were previously in the "relaxed" teacher's class (relaxed = lazy for this one teacher we have) and it's REALLY difficult to get them acclimated to my teaching style.

PoliticalFutbol and Backroads like this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2016

Firm, but fun. I don't tolerate disrespect, bullying or put-downs. I am a mama bear when it comes to my students--and they know it!

Backroads likes this.
  5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2016

I'm not that strict, but hold high expectations within being rather relaxed. There tend to be puns / joking around left and right mixed in with learning - I'm certainly not as "vanilla" with my teaching style that my cooperating teacher during student teaching jokingly mentioned when I first started to take over during that year ;) . My style is pretty simple outside of that, though - walls are minimal, with only student work and a handful of posters / charts. I'm also huge into growth mindset / motivation / building confidence, probably in reaction to my own life and how I have grown up with extremely low confidence (and to this day in the classroom).

Backroads likes this.
  6. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Feb 12, 2016

I feel I am pretty laid back at this point, but only because I was very strict/firm during the first half of the year. As a result, I can be a little looser, because my kids still know exactly where the line is that they cannot cross, and they know I'm consistent & I'll follow through with what I say.

However, as a new teacher, I am still discovering myself in this regard. I will have to see how the rest of the year goes and if my students continue to handle the extra freedom fairly well.

Backroads likes this.
  7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 12, 2016

On my team, I'm the artistic, goofy one. Since I'm the English Language Arts teacher, that kind of makes sense. The trick is to NEVER let them realize how much planning and coordination I do to make the lessons work. It works better for me to prep like mad so things flow during the lessons.

Backroads likes this.
  8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 13, 2016

I am gentle, but firm. My students know I love them and there is a mutual respect in our relationships. I'm pretty no-nonsense, and structured. Parents have told me that I seem strict, and I probably do. I'm not good at being silly or messy.

Backroads likes this.
  9. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 13, 2016

In some ways, the answer depends on the group of kids in my classes (HS). Group dynamics are unique to each and sort of require different leadership styles. Prefer to be more relaxed but can be strict and no nonsense if needed. The kids do not understand how much they help shape and influence the environment.

Backroads likes this.
  10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 13, 2016

I'm relaxed but firm. I allow my students to be kids, talk, and have fun, but, when I say it's time to get down to business, it's time to get down to business. I'm also very organized, structured, and accommodating for the various needs of the students. I got a lot of the students with behavior issues in my class last time I taught gen ed, because admin knew that I could handle them without writing a referral for every incident by building relationships with the kids and being accommodating, yet holding them accountable.

Backroads and mathmagic like this.
  11. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Feb 14, 2016

Depends on the class. Some need the no-nonsense approach and some others are dream classes, where all the students follow procedures and are not disruptive. I can deal with both and adpt my methods to each class.

12. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 15, 2016

Laid back, friendly, and goofy. When someone gets disrespectful I can change quite a bit. However I try to diffuse any situation before I show being mad.

mathmagic likes this.
  13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 15, 2016

My assistant and I were just talking about this the other day!
    She said I am super sweet but I also don't let them get away with misbehavior, which is why they respect me (I have preschoolers) Yay! She's like that too; she likes to have fun with them, but doesn't put up with nonsense. We work really well together even though she is about 25 years older than me.
    We got on this topic because the teacher next door only likes to love/cuddle with the kids, but when it comes to correcting behavior, she has her assistant do it, which could be why their class is out of control! They're not really "bad", they're just crazy and loud and they are just all over the place! It's chaos.

14. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Feb 15, 2016

Definitely depends on the class. I'm a big guy with a loud deep voice. I come off as super strict/authoritative at first but I loosen up considerably once I know the class can function that way. I would say that most of my classes see me as being nice/funny but not all of them. I prefer to be less strict because it allows for better connections with students but sometimes its not possible.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 15, 2016

My twin!:p

bella84 likes this.
  16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 15, 2016

According to a Facebook quiz I took a while ago, my teacher personality is the "tough-love" type. I tend to agree. I'm hard on them, and strictly maintain that teacher/student boundary, but we've built great relationships and I'd listen to any of their problems and step into help if they needed it.

17. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 16, 2016

This.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2016

I'm basically all about tough love. On the pop culture spectrum, I'm probably closest to Yoda.

19. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2016

Please say that this means you also speak like Yoda, too? ;)

Caesar753 likes this.
  20. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 16, 2016

I'm pretty laid-back and there's a lot of laughing in my classes, but I also have MUCH higher academic expectations than the others I teach with. Like, I'm the teacher who isn't going to throw the book at you if you accidentally curse and will humor a 10 min side tangent where we all trashtalk each other's football team, but I'm also the only one who is going to make you write a research paper. It's a bit of a trade-off, in my opinion. :p

mathmagic and MrsC like this.
  21. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2016

I'm fun, but old school when it comes to respect and responsibility.

22. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 22, 2016

I'm relaxed but learning I'm a bit too relaxed. And yet when I guest teach at other schools the kids say I'm mean. But I get results. Once they get past the fact that I won't ignore rules for them, I think it's that the kids that have had me longer, know me better and realise I'm a big softy underneath.