What's your teacher clothing style?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by TennisPlayer, Jul 16, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 16, 2008

:)What stores do you shop at for your teaching clothes? I mainly wore tan or black pants and a dress shirt when I substituted but I'd like to hear some other ideas. I'm going to be teaching 3rd grade.

Also, what brand of shoes do you recommend for teaching days that are comfortable and work well with most outfits?

3. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I love going to Dress Barn for teacher clothes. I wear all brands of shoes, but Nikes on Fridays for sure.

4. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I love Capris!! Capris' come in all sorts of colors.I wear very nice Capris to work often and I top it off with a nice shirt. They can be very dressy but very COMFORTABLE! Comfort is the key. But be careful. You don't want comfort to be mistaken with laziness. If I wear capris during the week then I never wear them with tennis shoes ( except on Fridays) I always put them with nice comfy shoes.

Suggestion on shoe brand? Well, I don't really have one brand that I wear. I just go to the store and start trying them on. I pay attention to how padded they are. I just bought a pair of brown slides that are extremly comfortable. The brand is MUD.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

Dressbarn, Kohls (always has sales), Talbots.

I typically wear dressy trousers (what most would call "slacks" but that word is strange to me, I know, I'm weird). I tend to go with a tailored look on top. My mom makes funky jewelry and I like to wear it, too.

I usually wear Aerosoles, they have lots of styles online.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2008

Majority of my clothes come from Old Navy and GAP. I also went on a spending spree and bought some really nice items from Ann Tayler The Loft.

I watch a lot of What Not to Wear so that I know how to dress myself. I want to look professional and nice.

I wore:
    professional tops with nice trousers or skirts for warmer months

I wore:
    professional top with structured jacket and trouser for winter months
    professional top with structured jacket and skirt with nice patterned panty hose and boots or high heeled shoes
    I also wore nice fitted sweaters with trousers or skirts

Shoes:
    I bought a lot of pretty, but comfy high heeled shoes and high heeled boots from Target. I never wore sneakers or flip flops. I did wear sneakers on field day and even then I wore my nice shoes and changed into my sneakers later on.

Jewelry:
    I wore simple jewelry. I wore dangling earrings and simple necklaces.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

I second everything Peachyness said. You are a professional and I feel you should dress like one. I like to set a good example for my students as well as parents who ask to see me before and after school. Also, when we have assemblies or special programs and parents are present I feel a professional appearance is important. Look for sales and buy good pieces. They will last a long time. As far as shoes go I feel each person needs to find what works best for him or her. Because I have back problems I wear shoes or boots that only have about a 2" heel.

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2008

Old Navy and Target are my faves. I like the "perfect fit" tees at Old Navy because they're really simple and they come in a wide range of colors. I usually wear khakis (I buy them from Aeropostale because they're cheap and they need little hemming since I'm only 5') with a colored tee. I spruce up the outfit with cute jewelry or cute flats from Target or Payless.

9. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Keeping a professional appearance is necessary. Yes, comfort is key so you aren't fidgeting with clothing all day, but instead remaining put together and happy :)

I think that it's not how much you're spending, but instead the way you put together your outfits. I love Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Target and Nordstrom. I wear dress pants, blouses, cotton tops with detailing, heels, jewelry and always try to look put together with hair, make-up and clothing.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2008

For "real" clothes, I mostly wear stuff from Old Navy. I think the clothes from ON are fairly neutral and seem to be well-tailored for my body. Plus, ON is easy on my wallet, which is essential.

Otherwise, I wear a lot of school spirit gear, like dri-fit polos with our school logo. We get some for free from school every year, and the rest I purchase from clubs or sports teams during their fundraisers.

11. MomtoCAV

MomtoCAV Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

When I did my student teaching, I always dressed business casual. Fridays were dress down day, in which we wore jeans and a t-shirt with the school logo on it.

A lot of it depends on the school where you teach, some of my friends were assigned to schools were the teachers really had to dress up, and dress-down Fridays were for business casual.

As far as shoes, you just have to try them on and go with what feels the most comfortable. Walk around in them at home before going out in them, in case you were wrong you can still take them back as they aren't scuffed up yet.

Anyway, just my two cents worth.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 16, 2008

Business casual seems to be the type of clothing worn by most of the teachers in my school. Admins (especially the men) wear suits however. I feel better about myself when I look good, so I tend to go with clothing on a professional level. However, I know it's often nearly impossible to really feel comfortable in professional clothing, so I try to find clothing that I can move around it, fits well (such as raising my arms above my head to make sure everything is covered :) ), and for shoes--- they're mostly flats but if I can find a comfy heel I totally go for it.

For my every day (outside of the classroom) clothing, I stick to jeans and t-shirt. Right now I'm spending more money on professional clothing than every day clothing, so I sometimes pick a nice piece and wear it when I'm not in school either.

My favorite places to shop are Wal-Mart (for just a few pieces, I'm not crazy about alot of their clothing), Target, Kohl's, TJ Maxx, and Dress Barn. Check out when they're having sales so that you can easily stock up on new things--- even if you have to wait until a few seasons to wear it again. :)

13. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Jul 16, 2008

I love Cato's; they fit my budget. I tend to wear a skirt with a dress shirt and flats or pumps.

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2008

I purchase a lot from Talbot's (but I'm in my 40's). Most stores have a really dressy collection and a more casual collection. Most elementary schools go with a more casual look - by casual I mean khakis, not jeans. Right now cost is not an issue! Because of the economy, higher end stores also have clearance sales. Talbot's online is selling really high quality items at good prices. I'm sure other retailers are doing the same.

15. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Dress Barn has some really pretty clothes that look young and professional. I did some shopping on Monday, and they were having a big sale-- 50% off dresses and $19 skirts and dress pants.

I also shop at New York and Co., but I have to be careful there as some of the clothes are not appropriate for school.

Target also has some cute professional clothing.

Fridays are casual days, so I wear khakis and my school polo.

For shoes, I wear heels (I find that 2- 2.5 inch heels are more comfortable than flats for me) and dressy flats M-Th, but I wear Clarks slip on shoes on Fridays. They are super comfortable. You can usually find them pretty cheap at DSW.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 17, 2008

I look for circle skirts-they are cute with a t-shirt, blouse or sweater, depending on the weather, and are super easy to move in. It doesn't matter if I put on a pound or two, as they just flow over your hips. And you can easily sit on the ground in them, as they are long enough to cover and flexable to allow movement.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2008

I shop at Old Navy and Kohls the most.

As for shoes- in the winter I usually wear Skechers. In the summer, I wear a variety of sandals.

18. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 17, 2008

I probably dress up a bit more than most teacher's at my school, partly b/c I like and and because it makes me feel more professional.

I get staples like nicer pants and sweaters at Ann Taylor. I FEEL like a million dollars in their clothes. I get the coupons and shop at one that always has a large sales section.

I get a few things like button ups at Lerner NY and Co, but a lot of their clothes aren't school appropriate.

Lately, I've found really nice capris from TJ Maxx from the Limited, that will be great for the fall.

I like Aerosoles as well, and I like the shoe selection at Macy's a lot. They usually have good sales on their shoes, and get their extra 15% off coupons from our Sunday paper.

So I typically shop at Ann Taylor, TJ Maxx, Lerner, and Macy's. My Kohl's is so disoragnized, that I can never find anything. Sometimes JcPenney, and I get a lot of accessories from Wal Mart and Target.

19. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 17, 2008

Khakis or dress pants Monday-Thursday. On Fridays I wear Jeans our department polo and a pair of clean nike shocks. All other days I wear dress pants or khakis with a polo, dress shirt, sweater, or shirt and tie. (With of course dress shoes). It so much easier for guys!

20. kimberly121

kimberly121 Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

I normally shop the sale rack at Banana Repulic (I love their pants and quality), Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft, JCrew sales.

Being completely new to the teaching field, I'm also interested in hearing what kind of shoes you all wear. I can't imagine wearing heels all day long so... ECCO, Born, Mephistos???

21. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Old Navy is my favorite. As for shoes.....I highly recommend Dansko's.

22. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I love Old Nay and Kohl's. Like some previous posters, I buy my favorite pieces in different colors--like Old Navy pants in tan, grey, brown and black, lol. I'm use my shoes and jewelry to "dress up" my look. I keep it simple and comfy. My kids wear uniforms, so I don't get to "unique" in my look either. :)

Shoes... now that is an issue. I have a few sandals I love and some Sketchers. But I need some more flats that are comfy. I'll have to check out the Dansko's.

23. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

They are extremely comfortable. They are ergonomically designed. Mostly nurses and doctors wear them (clogs). They have so many different styles though. Perfect for being on your feet all day.:)

24. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 17, 2008

I bought Aerosoles off of Zappos and got them today!

They have many cute styles

25. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 17, 2008

I LOVE Old Navy...inexpensive, cute, wearable clothes that fit.

I'm still trying to find good shoes. :confused:

26. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

I like Christopher and Banks. I favor slacks and twinsets, and they always have cute sweaters; we don't have any C&Bs in SoCal so I shop them when we're visiting family. (They did add an online store a couple of months ago.) The store is very popular with teachers, and the clothes are well made and very reasonably priced. I recently got an adorable short-sleeved cotton sweater, purple with quarter-sized white polka dots, for $9.99; it will go great with black capris and Clarks sandals for school. ;)

27. seeking2913

seeking2913 Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

During my student teaching I mostly wore slacks, capris, or skirts. Nice and comfy!

The school district I was hired in has a pretty strict dress code though...they suggested dresses and suits as "recommended attire" for female teachers :down: NO denim allowed...not even jean jackets. Oh well...I think I'll be doing a lot of wardrobe updating at places like Banana Republic, Geoffery Bean, Ann Taylor, etc. Good excuse to go shopping, right? :2up:

I just hope they let me wear my Skechers!!! They have some really cute, really COMFORTABLE shoes in all different colors that go great with dress slacks! I definitely recommend them to anyone who teaches - there's no way I can stand all day in heels... :p

28. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 17, 2008

My school is VERY casual. I'm probably the most dressed-up teacher there. I like Kohl's, Mervyn's, and sometimes Target (Mossimo Black brand) for work clothes. I like shoes that are comfortable and neutral, so that they go with many outfits. My favorite brand is Mudd. They are junior's shoes, but I'm still young enough to pull it off and I go for the not-so-flashy selections. I find that they are really comfy.

29. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 18, 2008

I agree with a lot of what everyone said. I do a lot of shopping at Target, Old Navy and JC Penny. My favorite thing to wear this past year was cordory pants. They are so comfy and can be dressed up or down with your shoes and shirt. Shoes don't go to crazy with the heel, if youre doing a lot of standing your feet will ache at the end of the day. Definately break in your shoes first.

30. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2008

I like JCPenneys and I LOVE New York and Company. They always have great sales. I found a lot of pants, suit separates, skirts, and shirts for $7 each! You just have to go in at the right time. I don't usually buy anything off the regular priced racks unless I really loved it.

I also just got some really nice skirts and a pair of pants from Express. They're usually way too expensive for me, but the $80 pair of pants was marked down to $23! That's still more than I usually spend, but they fit a lot better than the cheaper ones I usually buy.

31. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 19, 2008

I try to look professional - I wear dress pants and skirts with a nice dress shirt or light weight knit sweater. When It gets hotter here I will wear capris but they are the dressier kind not cotton. I only where cotton or jeans on Friday when it was a more casual day but still wore nice clothes. I am moving to a new district this year so I don't know if there is a casual friday type day there but it won't hurt my feelings if we don't!

Shoes - I look for comfort but stylish. I don't go by brands as much as what I find that fits what I need. I have heels and flats but I rotate them and not get stuck wearing one type.

32. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

Well, I do a lot of lifting, changing diapers, and chasing runners, so my shoes tend to be Skeetchers or Mudd.

I shop at Target, JC Penney, Fashion Bug, or Kohl's. I don't fit Old Navy very well :( I tend to wear dressy khakis, capris, and nice tops that don't have buttons or strings to catch on things. Fridays are jean and spirit shirt day and my DKNY sneakers--I've got 4 pairs in wild colors. No skirts or dresses ever!!! (who wants to explain why it's over your head while you're wrestling with a student?) I wear sweaters sometimes, but they catch on hook & loop and snag on braces, so not very often.

33. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

For some reason, I'm always drawn to cute heels that are about 3-4 in high! I don't need the height, I'm already about 5ft 8. As long as the heels are comfortable, I have no problem wearing them. I always say I need to buy cut flats, but I don't think they look as good on me as they do others. Since we're on our feet all day, wear whatever is comfortable!!!!

34. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 20, 2008

I try to look professional the principal is getting on to some of the teachers who are looking like they are picking peas. But, I like to wear capris and nice tops during the summer, and nice skirts, and dress pants and a nice dress top... In the winter I wear alot of dress jackets and nice tops under them when i get to hot i remove the jackets and i wear alot of dress pants.. casual shoes such as aloha island, mudd, and other nice sandals, i use to try to wear boots with heels and nice heel dress shoes but we are not allowed to sit when we have students in the class room ... so i favor low heeled shoes. :)

35. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Jul 20, 2008

I shop at Catherine's, Fashion Bug, and Wal-Mart. I wear slacks, capris, and skirts with nice tops. Everything is machine washable. I try to buy things when on sale, if I have a coupon, or items for the store's value priced racks. Shoes...that's another story! After years of wearing inexpensive shoes, I now have to wear better quality shoes. I love Skechers, Klogs, and Clark's. The last several years I've shopped at specialty shoe stores (I wear an extra wide) and found a few pairs of great comfy shoes but expensive...$100. They last several years and my feet do not hurt at the end of the day.

36. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

I get a lot of my more expensive, multi-season basics from catalogs like J. Crew, Land's End & L.L. Bean, and stores like Ann Taylor, the Gap, and Belk. I pick up trendy or seasonal pieces from Old Navy, Target, Dress Barn.

In the summer, I wear skirts, shells, and sandals, or capris & sleeveless tops with sandals. In the winter, I wear skirts or slacks, and lots of sweaters with clogs.

I rarely wear jeans; maybe once or twice a year when I know I'll be doing something messy, or if it's a Friday.

I'll spend $100 on a really nice pair of pants or a sweater I know I can wear for years. I don't want to spend more than $15 on something that's trendy.

As for shoes, I live in Birkenstocks, Danskos, Keens, Borns... anything comfy & slip-on. I like a little bit of elevation (not a "heel" exactly, but not a flat, either... flats kill me).

I'd say if I had to describe my style, it would be "classic." I have a lot of grey, black & navy. I don't change jewelry a lot. I wear a few nice pieces over & over.

37. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2008

I have a lot of classic pieces and tend to wear them over and over again. I do a lot of my shoping at Talbots. Many of the teachers at our school wear jeans a lot and I don't feel comfortable doing that. I'm also on the floor a lot with the kids, so I tend to wear pants/capris more than skirts and dresses.

I have tons of jewelry though, and wear it frequently. The kids always love to see what necklace I've got on that day.

38. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

As far as shoes - I have to vote for Rockport! If you have an outlet near you that is the cheap way to buy them (they can tend to run on the expensive side). But let me tell you, I have arthritis and usually my feel kill me at the end of the day, except with these shoes. Rockport makes stylish shoes that are SO very comfy too. :2up:

39. Grace

Grace Companion

Jul 21, 2008

Most of my pants are from New York & Co. (because I'm short and don't have to get them hemmed!). I also have a lot of skirts that I bought from Kohl's and shirts from Target, Limited, etc. I like getting shirts at Target because they make a lot of longer shirts so I don't have to worry about raising my hands and having anything show. As for shoes, I found some cute Kenneth Cole heels that are very comfortable, and I wear my Mephistos quite often as well... plus a random assortment of flats from all over :)

40. mochateacher

mochateacher Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I agree with the person that mentioned the wearing of capris. So many stores offer professional looking capris. They are especially comfortable here in Arizona during this time of the year. I usually wear a nice top to keep the capris looking professional. On Fridays I like wearing the school polo or tee shirt that's given to us by the principal. Wearing the school shirts with a casual pair of slacks/capris/jeans makes me feel that I'm enjoying casual Friday, but also showing school spirit. When I think about my school attire I like to feel that if a parent walked into my classroom for an impromptu meeting, that they are meeting with a professional.

I like to catch Ann Taylor Loft when there's a sale and Lerners (NY & Company for those that are younger than me :) ). As far as shoes go, I stick with whatever makes my feet feel good at the end of the day. If I wear a heel, it's usually a little wider and not too high.

~Paula~

41. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

Well...when I was student teaching, I dressed very professional. Most days, I would wear dress pants and a button up shirt with heels. Heels helped with my height. I'm very short at 4'11!! I spent so much money on clothes during student teaching!

When I actually started teaching, I learned. :lol: I've taught Kinder for the last two years, so COMFORT was key for me since I was doing lots of moving around, dancing, sitting on the carpet! My advice would be to look at how the staff at your school dresses. Our staff is pretty casual, so I kind of just went with the flow. Khakis, a nice shirt and comfy shoes did well in my school.

I love shopping at Target, Old Navy, New and Company for clothes. They are affordable and stylish at the same time. For shoes, I did a lot of flats (ballet flats) and dressier tennis shoes.