What's your take on black cars?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Jul 10, 2014.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 10, 2014

My issue is that the paint suffers after just a few years of normal washing. When I say normal, I'm talking the local car wash places. I have a 6-year old black car, and the swirl marks are quite noticeable. I don't think this would be the case if I had (e.g.) a silver, white, blue (pick a color) car. Am I wrong in this?

The reason I ask is because I'm considering another black car. If you've had black cars, is this your experience too? Or have I just been taking it to a place that has crappy towel/service? (Also keep in mind, it is a 4WD--I'm thinking about taking it camping, etc. Leaves, branches brushing the sides.)

*What is a better option when it comes to this sort of thing? Pickup truck or SUV, going camping/beach: Gray? Silver? White? Blue?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2014

Black does show scratches more...you need to go to a brushless car wash! Silver seems to not show scratches as much. I drive a Jeep and :love: it!

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2014

Black also shows all the dust. I used to like black but I prefer a dark grey now.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

My dad is a "car guy" (from new cars, to restoring cars, to designing custom cars ... he even had his own paint booth for awhile). He NEVER had a black car/truck. They can look good, but any little imperfection (even as slight as dust) shows. He always preferred grey or silver (though he also had red, maroon, blue, gold).

I drive a grey (called Sterling Grey) F-150 and that color hides dust really well. My husband drives a Flame Blue F-150 and it is also a good looking color that hides dirt.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 10, 2014

I had a black car but my driveway was a quarter mile unpaved road. The next two cars have been silver and they don't show dust like the black did.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 11, 2014

Yes, black cars exemplify class. I've never had a black car & may never will...had deep purple and now a gorgeous & the most perfect shade of indigo blue & I absolutely love it. Any car color I get after this is going to be a tough act to follow!

I get my car washed at the automatic car washes. I particularly prefer this completely touch-free location, but I can't always go there. I personally don't see swirls on my car, but dust does appear again pretty quickly.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2014

We have a black truck and a silver car. Both are 8 years old. TBH, I've never noticed swirl marks on the truck. The truck gets workout - camping, hauling the boat, etc. I have more scratches on my car from parking at work (the kids walk through the lot) than the truck does :rolleyes:

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 11, 2014

Man, I would like to pull the trigger on this black truck--It's nice inside, guy seems honest... but I'm hesitant because of the way the paint looked in the sun. And it doesn't look awful, oxidized, or anything. But the sort of micro-scratching (swirling) kinda made the car look less shiny, and more matte.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 11, 2014

I had a black and a dark blue car and they show water spots, dust, scratches, fading, everything. I had a silver car, and that is the best in my opinion, dust and waterspots won't show because it's metallic, and even scratches blend in. It didn't fade any.
    I've had a white SUV for 12 years and I love it, it's still holding on and I hope it has another few years. That was my second choice.

When I buy another car, my choices will be silver, white, and if these two are not available maybe beige. I don't like colors in cars and I don't want black again. And it gets hot.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 11, 2014

I don't think I would get a black car, because I live in Wisconsin. It shows more of the salt/slush/snow mess in winter. I have a silver/grey car, and I haven't even washed it in over 2 years (it's old, so I don't really care ;)). It honestly doesn't even look dirty, though!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2014

We have a black truck....hubby bought it used. Loves the truck. He does use a clay bar on it & polish & what not. My hubby is a car guy & when we were dating (lived out of state( he would detail people's cars for some extra cash if I was at class!

FYI...He likes to clay bar and polish & wax all the vehicles a few times a year.

As far as dust...where we live not on dirt road at all, but the pollen has been bad...you can see it on all the colors and even my mom's silver car when we see her!! Scratches...I think any color you can see it. Dirt from dirt roads...my dad has had the gold tone and not too bad... Lives on dirt road....

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2014

I've only owned Black cars; my current is a small SUV (Hyundai Tucson). I prefer the way Black looks compared to any other color on a vehicle and it's always my preference when I get a new car.

They do scratch easily, but I just prefer a sleek, shiny Black car to anything.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2014

I think we all have favorite colors for different reasons and colors we don't like. I know I've learned can't always get the color but if I like how it drives & feel safe that's what's important!

15. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

Hate. But then again, it gets really freaking hot here. That's why my car is white.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 12, 2014

I'd never buy one because black shows dirt right away (almost as bad as white) and they get so hot in the sun! My husband has a black Journey and loves it except that it gets so stinking hot.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 12, 2014

My mom's new car is not black, but about as close to it as you can get. I'll have to ask her if she gets hot in it.

She'd never go through an automatic car wash. She washes it herself in her driveway.

18. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 12, 2014

I currently have a black car, and I won't buy one again. Just because I want some color in my life and it shows dirts/scratches easily.

I go to a DIY car wash place, and you use spray soap and there are no rags or brushes. I've never seen any swirly marks on my car.

19. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 13, 2014

I used to have a black car and I hated it because in addition to showing dust/dirt in year around, in the winter it looks really bad because we get moderate to heavy amounts of snow, which means they salt the street.

Both the snow and salt would leave my car looking ashy (for lack of a better word). It kinda reminds me of when a person slobs at night and has white-ish crust on their face in the morning. So in the dead of winter, I had to drive around w/a terribly dirty looking car or try to find somewhere to wash it. Within a day or two, it'd be dirty again.

I prefer lighter colors like tan or silver or light blue that don't show dirt/imperfection. Currently I only wash my (lighter) car a few times a year and no one can tell the different. With a black car everyone knew.

20. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 13, 2014

When I bought my first car, I was disappointed that I couldn't buy the black version because it was expensive. I thought the silver color I bought was drab and blah. Well, the next time I bought a car I ended up with a silver car and found I love it best. Besides the fact that scratches and dirt does not show as much, I feel that the color is more classic and elegant than black.
    I would never buy a black car because it shows everything and I think it's boring, my opinion. I prefer shades of silver and grey.