What's Your Tactic at Job Fairs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, May 16, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 16, 2013

Everyone has their own plan. What I mean by that is:

Do you like to show up 30-40 min before it starts to try to have close parking & be one of the 1st in line OR do you show up about an hour in, so at least they would have opened the doors & everyone's already in?

Do you walk all around 1st & see what district or company's there & then go to your favorites or do you just go straight to the ones you want as you see them?

Any other comments?

I went to a non-teaching fair & showed up about 40 min ahead & the line wrapped all around, but I wasn't as far back in line as I could have been. Then when they opened, they let in about 50 people at a time so it wasn't so crowded in the bldg.

3. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

May 16, 2013

The one I went to on monday was crazy. Started at 8:30 I go there about 10 and it was packed. There were lines at every districts table. I waited for one district for 2 hours. Another I waited an hour. There were 60 districts represented and I am guessing at least 5000 applicants there throughout the day.
    I was too far away to be able to be the first ones there but that would be my plan for the next one. Plus about noon all the teachers that took a half day began showing up.
    If your one of the first ones to talk to them I think you have a better chance of standing out before they get tired and just start tuning out the applicants. I noticed as it got later district reps had tuned them out and were not really listening to what anyone had to say.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 16, 2013

I always go way early. If you waited an hour to get there I don't think you'd get any interviews. I went to a big one in April. They gave us the map of where districts were beforehand so I mapped out where I wanted to go first to try and schedule interviews. If I saw they were just doing "meet and greets" I skipped them and moved on to a district that was scheduling interviews. Once I had all of my top choices scheduled, I started going around to any other district I would plausibly work for (basically, anyone within an hour of here) and started scheduling interviews with them.

A lot of people got trapped in the meet-and-greet lines for the biggest districts for hours...and I think the chances of a meet and greet really getting you anywhere are pretty slim. They were mostly just handing out their information and telling people to apply online.

5. teachertasha

teachertasha Rookie

May 16, 2013

I've only went to one. I arrived early, knew which districts I wanted to talk to first. Went straight to the first district, the rep told me a little and encouraged me to apply. Once I told her I had already applied, she interviewed me on the spot and I was offered a job.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

May 16, 2013

I wish I could go to some of the job fairs, but am not sure I'd fare very well. I have a disability that makes standing in lines and walking around much impossible.

My job right now is at the mercy of enrollment, so I need to be keeping an eye out.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 17, 2013

I haven't been to a teacher job fair in years. This past Monday, I went to another non-teacher one & I couldn't believe how some people were dressed! These people MUST have had a better outfit in their entire closet than that! Just in the 15 minutes I was there, I saw some wearing outfits that looked like they were just out & about on a summer day: capri pants & sleeveless tops.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 17, 2013

There are A LOT of people out of work. Most of them do not have college degrees. Many of them can't afford to dress as professionally as someone coming off of a good paying professional job. Feel good that you might have a leg up, and have empathy for those who are in dire straits.:2cents: