What's Your Sub Morning Routine??

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by subteacher38, Aug 22, 2011.

1. subteacher38

subteacher38 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011

I'm just wondering how the mornigs are for other subs when you do not have a school booked yet for that day. Do you get up each day and get ready for work anyway or do you wait until a certain time for calls to come in? Is there a cut off point at which you will not accept calls in the morning and can you refuse to be called at last minute notice?

I started 8 months ago during last school year in January. When I first started, I wasn't getting many calls but I got up early and got ready everyday to make sure I was ready to go when those last minute calls came in. I would get dressed, drop off my kids at school and wait somewhere close by just incase I got called. I learned my lesson once when I decided to keep my daughter home and go shopping because no one called and of course I got a call very late and they were desperate so I finished shopping and took my daughter to preschool and went in an hour after school started.

Most of my calls to work come either really late the night before or a few hours before class starts. I have one school that will ask me if I'm available for another day as I leave (I really like that). Waiting for the early morning calls is getting frustrating, although I know I need them until I get more know with all the schools. I'm just so tired of getting completely ready and rushing to be on time, just to come back home. I would love to plan my days in advance! :help:

3. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 22, 2011

When I first started, I'd get up at 5am and check online for jobs. I started to realize that after a certain point I couldn't get to them because they were already on call-out by that point and I was so low on the list that it woudn't get around to me before being accepted.

After a few situations like the one you described when you went on about your life thinking you wouldn't get called and then got late calls, I started putting myself on unavailable if I didn't get calls early. Those last-minute jobs tend to be fraught with problems, from no lesson plan to thrown together lesson plans with wrong page numbers and worksheets that the kids have already done. Nowadays if I don't have a job by the time I go to bed at night, I put myself on unavailable for the day unless I'm desperate. Fortunately with 4 districts and going into my third year subbing(if there is anything fortunate about that) I'm getting the hang of how to navigate each district.

You'll figure it out. The one good thing about subbing is that you have some flexibility to work or not work on different days.

4. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 22, 2011

I just let the phone call wake me up since the schools I sub for use an actual person to call you for sub jobs. I live about 2 blocks from one school and the middle and high schools are not that far. The other two are not the far away and I don't need a lot of time to get ready in the morning.

5. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 22, 2011

It really all depends on how much you want to work. I am signed up to sub in five districts and three of those districts have automated systems which makes getting jobs alot easier. If you want to work everyday, you can't wait for them to call you and you have to be very proactive. Learn the times that are busy for posting jobs in your district (usually early morning or right after school). I have gotten many jobs during calling hours because the system only calls two people at a time. If a third job is posted, it's mine!

I have also learned to always be ready. If I'm not, I end up being sorry. I have gotten calls for teachers that got sick during the day and needed a sub. I came in late but made the same as subbing for the whole day!

I've also noticed that as soon as I make other plans for the day, I end up getting called.

If it seems like you are not getting alot of days, try putting flyers in the teachers' mail boxes or send out an email.

I understand that not every sub wants to work everyday but I need to and have found that with a little extra work and effort, I can basically sub whenever I want.

6. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 22, 2011

If any of the schools I subbed for used an automated system I would be up and looking for jobs but a real live person calls me so I don't have to worry about being beat out for a job.

7. subteacher38

subteacher38 Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

I wish my district had a system where we could book our days either online or by phone. They tried one with just a few schools to see how it would go, and they told me it was a disaster so they are not planning to try it again. I'm sure it was the system that was flawed and not the idea since it seems to work great for other countys and states. I think my district needs to step up the technology and join the 21st century. I would love to be able to look for work in the places I want to work and book my days in advance and place me on unavailable for days I do not want to work. Then I could acctually know what I'm doing each day!

The only way for us to get work, is to wait for the phone to ring or get book at the school for another day when you are leaving. Last school year, I did make great connections with some of the teachers and they were requesting for me days in advance, but for some reason, the sub locator would not book me days out and still called me each day. One teacher asked me if I could teach her class for 3 days the following week and I of course said yes, so I planned to refuse any other offers that came in, but the sub locator still called each day to see if I was available, even though the teacher had already put in the request for me for the 3 days!!

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

I technically am signed up to sub in six districts but really only do five. Three of them have automated systems. The rest have callers. I hardly ever work in the districts that have callers. In one district that I am signed up to sub, I was called once in the last two years to sub. Unfortunately, I already had another day booked for another teacher in another district. I've noticed if you have to turn them down, they do not call back. Automated systems have no problems with you turning them down. They will sometimes call you five minutes later with a new job. That would be really hard to rely only on the sub callers!

9. Still_Smiling

Still_Smiling Rookie

Aug 24, 2011

Lucky me

Thankfully the schools around here have automated systems so I'll get notification the day before or 6:30am that morning. A lot of times the secretaries will call me and schedule something for the upcoming week or month which is really nice. Otherwise, I usually have something ironed so I can change my clothes if a school needs me at the last minute.

10. subteacher38

subteacher38 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

You work in Florida too? In what county do you work? I'm in Miami-Dade and I can't believe we don't have an automated or online system in place! I noticed that other countys around me do use the AESOP system and that seems like a good one. I guess with all the budget cuts here, they won't spend money on making our lives a bit easier, they haven't even given subs here a raise in many, many years!!

11. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 25, 2011

I live in the largest school district in GA and we don't have an automated system. Some schools have a coordinator to call subs, and other schools have teachers find their own. I want to get up and get ready in case they call, but I am sure when it turns cold, I won't want to get out of bed!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 25, 2011

I've been a sub for about 10 yrs & believe it or not, I've NEVER gotten dressed & just waited & hoped that they'd call that morning. If I'm called the night before, OK. If I'm called at 5:30am - 6:30am & still feel like working that day, I will. If I'm called after 6:30am, it's considered a little late to be there in time for school to begin, but if I still feel like it, I'll get ready, but I don't rush around like a mad woman.

Most of my yrs, I've been blessed w/ long term assignments where I knew where I was going each day.

13. Still_Smiling

Still_Smiling Rookie

Sep 6, 2011

I work in Seminole County. Some schools don't have the automated system. It's weird because one school will have it and another school, which may be like five miles away, won't have it. It would be nice if they were all automated. When you become a sub here, you go on a master list. But your best bet is to go to the schools directly and each school has a different way getting you on their sub list. We're a small county. I don't know why they can't get all the schools on the same page. Like you said, probably budget cuts.