What's your school's policy on Halloween?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kaley12, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Oct 28, 2015

Out of curiosity, does your school do anything for Halloween? Do the kids dress up? Will you be dressing up?

All the schools I've worked for allow the students to dress up, and almost all the staff (about 90%) wear costumes as well. Usually something happens in the morning as a whole school event (like a costume parade, or a "fun day" with Halloween games throughout the school), and the afternoon is up to the teacher's discretion. Depending on grade level they may have Halloween themed activities for the kids, put on a movie, etc.

But browsing through this thread, it seems like a lot of schools aren't big on Halloween. So I was wondering if it's typical to celebrate it like this at your school/district? Will you or your students be dressing up, and will it be a "fun" day, or a fairly typical academic day?

(I teach at a k-6 school for a Catholic board)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2015

As a school/district, we can do up to 3 "celebrations/parties" over the course of the year. Halloween is one of the times that is often done by all of the grade levels. However, the costume-wearing is limited to during the party (no changing in/out, just over regular clothing with costume put on top of it during the party) so that the rest of the instructional day is not affected. The balance seems to work well - the kids get to have a bit of fun, but we still get almost the same amount of work done that day.

I don't dress up, but that's just because I'm not at the point where I have much of a "life" outside of school yet...thus the past couple years have been a wash in terms of a costume. I might do something punny if I had time...but probably nothing big (similar to how I'll always participate in most spirit days, but things like PJ day I just don't feel comfortable "dressing down" that much, so I just do my normal dress pants/shirt).

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2015

Our elementary kds and teachers dress up. Middle school does not.

5. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Oct 28, 2015

We allow costumes (within dress code) and have a costume parade and contest among the grades (k-2, 3-5, 6-8). Most of the teachers dress up as well, although we try to agree on some kind of theme since there are only 8 of us. This year Halloween happens to fall during our conference week so we'll start our day with the parade and then its up to the teachers discretion how the rest of their half-day goes. I'm planning on playing academic games with my kiddos (alphabet bingo, halloween patterns, creating a five little pumpkins book we can read together, etc).

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2015

We'll have an assembly and costume parade for the first hour or so of the day tomorrow. The vast majority of staff and students dress up. In the afternoon the grade 1-5 classes have a party or watch a movie and the grade 6-8s have a dance in the gym.

7. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Oct 29, 2015

One of the schools I was at last year didn't really dress up or do much for Halloween, so I am really excited to be at a school that does this year! Teachers dress up by area (K-2, 3-5, 6-8) and have group costumes. Elementary kids are allowed to wear costumes that meet dress code requirements. Most classes incorporate Halloween stuff- my kids watched a video and read a book about bats. My middle school counterpart did a lesson on the history of zombies. Middle school kids have a Fall Dance that happens the week of Halloween.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 29, 2015

No costumes or official school parties, though many a classroom likes to do something in the spirit of Halloween. We definitely decorate the school.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 29, 2015

Since we're an online school with no sports teams, we made this week School Spirit Week, giving everyone an excuse to dress up in themed outfits / hats each day. The idea is that students and teachers (I wore a fedora while on webcam for Hat Day today) take pics of themselves and they get shared on the school site. It allows for an element of participation and interaction without having actual Halloween. Hey, we can't exactly have a Homecoming, but we can do THIS!

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 29, 2015

We have a Fall festival but also do some Halloween related activities such as decorating pumpkins and wearing costumes (if the students want to) and decorating our door/bulletin boards. If a student of mine wanted to do a specific craft related to Halloween then I try to get the materials for it. If a student didnt' want to participate then that's their prerogative.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 29, 2015

We do nothing. No costumes allowed. No candy. Only academics.

Backroads likes this.
  12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 29, 2015

My principal doesn't celebrate Halloween (for religious reasons), so none of us are allowed to have festivities. :(

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 29, 2015

Do other schools in your district have activities for Halloween? I know a few parents who would probably find out if other schools celebrated and then complain when their child's school didn't.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 29, 2015

District policy doesn't state anything about school-wide celebrations for Halloween, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. The one thing that the handbook acknowledges is that teachers can only have 3 classroom parties/year.

15. melnm

melnm Companion

Oct 29, 2015

Our school does costumes. Teachers dress up too. We don't do parties, but we will have a costume parade in the morning.

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 29, 2015

We have fall-themed parties. This year will be the first year with no costumes or parade, and I am great with that because between the inappropriate costumes and the families whose budget doesn't allow for much of a costume, it was getting to be difficult to make it work. My kids will be thrilled to do a game, craft and eat!

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 29, 2015

We have a regular academic day.

18. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 29, 2015

Regular day for us.

19. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 29, 2015

Today was our "Halloween" because it's also Spirit Week. So we actually dressed up every day in different themes. But today was "any costume" day. It was great! I was a Zombie Outbreak Doctor and my closest teacher friends were Batman and a giant Banana. We also had a monk, Olaf, Sheldon Cooper, Indiana Jones and a TMNT in my department. The students, those who dressed and those who just checked out the teachers, had a blast. Even high schoolers like the random bits of fun. I hid around a corner and scared quite a few during class changes.

20. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 29, 2015

It's my first year at the school, but from what I gather, in the past students and staff have been allowed to dress up with certain stipulations (no masks, no props etc.) and it's been up to classes or grade level teams to plan celebrations of any kind. This year though the new principal decided - today - that there will be no costumes which didn't go over well with kids or us, to be honest. The teachers on my team have spent all week planning and making costumes. We're doing a grade level celebration during the last two periods of the day with each classroom having something different going on - crafts, a movie, snacks to make, that kind of thing.

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 29, 2015

This week is our Red Ribbon Week and spirit week, so we've been dressing up all week for that. Tomorrow they can wear costumes. I'll be wearing one as well. I'm not doing anything Halloween themed because I have two Jehovah's Witnesses in my class. We're going to do some academic stuff and some fun stuff.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 29, 2015

Did you all happen to have sports jersey day today?

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 29, 2015

We have a costume parade and class parties. The kids get really into it and the staff will dress up for the parade also. It's one of my favorite school days of the year! This is the type of stuff kids remember about school forever. We're the only elementary in the district that still celebrates Halloween. Others gave it up because their P's were tired of dealing with parent issues. My P has said she keeps it up because it's important to our students, and given that we teach in a low SES neighborhood, our holiday celebrations may be their only celebration. I'm glad we still celebrate!

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 29, 2015

That was yesterday. :) Today was crazy hair/ crazy dress day.

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 29, 2015

Our jersey day was on Monday. Today was camo.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  26. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Oct 30, 2015

Our school does a festival and has a Halloween day where students and teachers can wear costumes (no weapons or masks). It is so fun to see everyone dressed up. Some of my students are going through a lot at home, and I love knowing that their day got a little bit better with a fun celebration. :)

27. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 30, 2015

We did. Jersey or superhero, to be specific.

28. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 30, 2015

Fun Halloween craziness all day today.

Backroads likes this.
  29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2015

Tried to fit in a math lesson today--think I'll have to repeat it on Monday! :D

30. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 30, 2015

I found a Halloween measurement activity so I pretended I taught math. Even with a school that doesn't do much for holidays, the kids' brains are useless.