What's your plan if you don't get hired for what you want to do next year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 23, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 23, 2009

I'm an optimistic person and hope I get some interviews for this next year.

I wonder what it would be like homeschooling someone else's child for a year? I don't know what they'll pay, but I put an ad on Craigslist and someone has already responded. If I did end up with that job then I'd need another job so I can have co-workers and be social!

So, what are your plans for next year?

3. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 23, 2009

Subbing, and possibly a p/t job somewhere like Lowes or hastings to make ends meet. Hopefully the subbing would result in a job after the school year starts.

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 23, 2009

I will keep doing my online job and am getting myself on the sub list for next year. I looked into waiting tables again and they're not hiring.

5. palla

palla Companion

Mar 23, 2009

I will keep doing my contract job. I enjoy it, and will probably keep doing it PT even if I start teaching FT.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 23, 2009

What kind of contract job do you have? Is it teaching related? I'm just trying to get some ideas. :)

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 23, 2009

Homeschooling someone else's child, that's brilliant. A freelance teacher with all the credentials. TennisPlayer, you may have just launched a new niche. Unemployed teachers in high socioeconomic areas could combine nanny with homeschool teacher. The idea that parents are getting on waitlists for private schools because they don't know how a cutrate public education is going to work just might go for it. You're a genius!

8. palla

palla Companion

Mar 23, 2009

I am a technical writer by trade. I do some work on textbooks (developmental editing work), which is related to education, but I have other clients outside of education as well. You can look on the publisher’s websites to see if they are looking for anyone. I also work as a adjunct at a local college, which might be an option if you have a master's degree.

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 23, 2009

hehehe... I'm not sure how much they'll pay, etc. I just emailed her some more questions. Hopefully something works out for everyone on here that they like doing!

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 23, 2009

Keep me posted, now I'm curious...

11. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

I'm going to have a job next year. Come on people positive thinking. Don't start thinking this until at least summer.

12. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 23, 2009

I'm keeping a positive outlook on things, but know that realistically I need to have my ducks in a row in case things don't work out as planned. Instead of knowing that I will get a job, and then being in despair if I don't - I am keeping a positive attitude that even if I don't get a contract before school starts, their are other avenues to supporting myself and obtaining a job throughout the year.

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

I'm somewhat optimistic about my job prospects for next year. The district I'm currently in isn't laying any teachers off next year (of course, the following year will likely be a different story...), and the school where I'm teaching is losing at least two teachers after this year.

If for some reason things don't work out-- i.e. I can't find a teaching job, or area districts are only giving out LTS contracts-- then I'm going to do a hard-core search for a full-time job with a "decent" salary (nothing below $10K what I'd make teaching) and benefits. Subbing-- whether short term or long term-- is out of the question.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2009

I'm another one who thinks that this is my year to get a full time teaching job. If not, I'll probably end up waiting tables again, or try to get a secretarial position.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2009

I am absolutely, positively, for sure going to have a job. Ok so I am trying to be very positive today. I wil have to find something if i don't get a teaching job.

16. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 23, 2009

You're absolutely right about the last part! I've been looking for a few years now since I've graduated from grad. school. It's tough but it's stretching my mind to think more creatively rather than get all sad like "there's nothing else to do."

17. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 23, 2009

[​IMG]

Failure is not an option!

MathManTim

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2009

That is one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies!!!

Several years ago, I became the President of the Parent Board at the nursery school my kids attended. (I was a SAHM at the time, but had taught for 20 years beforehand.) That year, the budgetary **** hit the fan, and we were in danger of closing.

I called a meeting, explained that in my other life I was a teacher, and said: "This will NOT happen on MY watch!!"

They're still open.

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

If I can't find either a full-time teaching job or an entry-level job at a college I will probably sub and keep my part-time job or try to find a decent full-time job.

20. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

I am trying to be optimistic!! There is just so much uncertainty about the current budget and dang it I live in Florida. :( I am trying to find something now, but there isn't anything out there.

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

I don't want to put a damper on anyone's plans, but check your state statutes on homeschooling before officially beginning. Some states require that if a child is homeschooled it has to be by a family member. Now ... on the other hand ... tutoring (even hours at a time for the same child) is not regulated :whistle:

22. cp79

cp79 New Member

Mar 23, 2009

The good news is that I've been hearing things may start looking better on the job front come summer time in Florida. I'm hoping that comes to truth. Right now is the time to pass your subject area exams, and if you're a sub like me, try and at least do a couple days a week and get some days under your belt and try and build some references. The more subjects and references you have, the better your chances, depending on which county you go to. I'm staying optimistic and positive.

23. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Mar 23, 2009

You need to check your states laws about Homeschooling Ed. Many states (MD is one) do not allow other people to Homeschool your child. Homeschooling is completed by the parent.

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

I was in Home Studies and was taught by a teacher. I was also in home school for about 2 years before that and was taught by my mom.

Hmmmm, I always wanted to be a home studies teacher. Thanks for that idea. I never thought of just doing it on my own.

My plan if I don't get a job next year... well, sub and go back to school full time. I will also apply for unemployment to help tie me over.

25. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 23, 2009

My plan for next year:

Tutor and collect unemployment until it runs out. As soon as I decided to sub I will lose my unemployment benefits and be unable to renew them because that is considered temporary work. However, I am also not obligated to sub simply because I am a teacher according to our state unemployment agency. I should be seeking comparable work. Considering subbing would pay far less, it is not comparable. I am serious...but perhaps that is just me after four years of being cut due to budgets. On the more positive side, it appears my district may actually be able to keep me, so this is a distant plan that probably won't be enacted.

26. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Mar 24, 2009

That would be wonderful. Some of our area schools are laying off teachers now though. It makes me wonder if things are going to turn around or if it is getting worse.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2009

Well, I had an interview today for a sales manager for an Aaron's here. I'll find out Friday if I got the job. It pays well so it can be something to fall back on if I don't get a teaching position for next year...though they did post for various campuses, for elem and sec teachers for next year.

28. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 24, 2009

My husband is working, and I am receiving unemployment. My "job" is to spend as little as possible. I just read a story about how to use coupons at the grocery store--so I am getting into that. I also clean my house and eliminated the housekeeper. I am cooking, not going out. I do pick up a little by babysitting a few kids, rarely. I am holding out for a job that suits me. Otherwise, I will continue economizing at home.

29. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2009

I'm with dizzykates, collect unemployment. But I am an optimist. And optimistic positive thinking people are the ones who get the job! :)

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2009

Good luck, STG! It sounds like a good job that you can fall back on!

31. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2009

Just wanted to mention that another alternative option that is great for building experience for your resume is becoming a homebound instructor.

Most school districts have these positions open on a rolling basis, because they are always in need of them. These are certified teachers who instruct students for a few hours per week in their home or hospital setting due to disability, injury, sickness, etc.

You don't get benefits, and the hours are spotty - but it's a great way to get experience with district curriculum, working with students with varying needs, etc. It's also an "in" to a district - as in, if you have "homebound instructor for XXX District" on your resume, it may help you in the future.

Just a thought for those of you that are seeking experiential type positions.

32. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Mar 25, 2009

Well, I'm currently at a crossroads in my job search. I can either spend more money that I really don't have, and take more Praxis tests to apply for certification in another state, thereby broadening my search to larger districts OR I can keep my fingers crossed that some miracle will occur and a position I can apply for will open up in the VERY small district where I live.

I'm really not sure what I'm going to do, but chances are good that I will be subbing next year. At least that means I will be getting more experience to put on my resume, and I'll be getting my face out there, so maybe principals will remember me.