What's Your IDEAL Subbing Job?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2009

What's your favorite type(s) of subbing job to do?

I'm picky, I don't do general ed classes, not elementary & definitely not middle school. My district doesn't even have HS, but if they did, I certainly would stay away from them too.

My favorite type of sub job is filling in for the speech-language pathologists of which I'll do elem & middle school grades. My 2nd choice is elementary level RSP. (I used to not mind kindergarten & PE, but not anymore).

3. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

I have one school where I am often called to fill in for their LA teacher so she can do testing. She will have me to a lot of the testing for her which I like.

It's a difficult school and this normally takes place early in the year so I get to know the kids before I'm in their class. The assignment is normally two days and I get to work with the whole school.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2009

Ms. I, you would get no work here...our Speech/Language Paths work between many schools and there are no subs for them. If they are away, they make up the time with the students at another time.

That said, I was picky as well when I did day-to-day subbing--I only worked at my kids' school, but would take any grade. I worked abotu 3 times a week.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2009

Yeah well thank God the SLPs at my district can have subs. I've done numerous long-term assignments lasting anywhere from a couple weeks to the entire school year. It's the easiest money of any sub job I know & I've also returned to school working on a 2nd Masters degree in the communication disorders field.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2009

I like HS language arts - particularly special ed - because I like teaching the fundamentals.

And ... anything long-term!

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 8, 2009

I really enjoy subbing for those special day classes. The aides and the teachers are really helpful and so hands on with their students. The kids themselves teach me so much about how they learn, their personalities and that life is a lot of fun!

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 8, 2009

Wow! I wish I could be so picky!

I would not be a fan of middle or high school (though I would take them)... anything elementary is great, especially if I don't have babysitting lesson plans left for me. I love teaching music (though I've found often videos are left for that subject, as the music teachers find it hard to find someone who can teach music)... I also love Resource and Literacy, and I really enjoy being a classroom teacher in elementary. Really, anything elementary (with the possible exception of Phys Ed) would be ideal for me. Oh! I've always enjoyed subbing for the principal too! That's always fun!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2009

The drive from New Brunswick to Ontario isn't too bad, dfleming; I'd love to have you sub for me any time--most of my day is in-class support, and the 7/8 English split I have is a barrel of fun!

10. monsieurteacher

Sep 8, 2009

Hahaha... I'd love to be there... seems to me that the last time I went to Ontario, I drove to London... it took two days. I don't know that it would be worth it in the long run!

11. pjlmom

pjlmom Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

favorite classes

I love AP/IB honors high school classes. The kids want to learn ,because they are preparing for college. You can have deep discussions with the class ,and I'm not babysitting.:thumb:

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2009

I'm less than 2 and a half hours from London--no sweat!

Sorry for the hijack....

13. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 10, 2009

I had no idea you can sub for a principal! That must be an interesting assignment.

14. monsieurteacher

Sep 10, 2009

The principal teaches Phys Ed sometimes, and often when subbing for the principal, it means that I'm really covering the VP's class so that she can be in the office. There's also detention duty when you're the principal.

15. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 10, 2009

Oh detention duty how is that like? How do the kids behave towards you?

In the district I sub at, you can sub for the secretaries as well. Not that I have had those kinds of assignments yet. It would be great to have a taste of what they go through.

16. monsieurteacher

Sep 10, 2009

Keep in mind I did behaviour intervention last year... they all know me quite well :lol: Detention really isn't that bad at this school (K-5).

Technically, in my district the secretaries are in a separate union, and require separate subs.... however I've had the VP call me in to cover the secretary's job, and one of the admins has just used a sick day.

17. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 10, 2009

My ideal subbing job would be when the parents of the kids don't think that their unruly kid who was distracting other kids was sent to school to get CONSTANT one on one attention at the expense of other kids.

18. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Sep 11, 2009

You should check out the daily rate for SLP subs in this district:woot:
    http://edjoin.org/viewPosting.aspx?postingID=307836&countyID=30

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 12, 2009

sunshine*inc, woah!!! :woot: Thank you, I think I'll call about it first thing Monday morning! I've never seen anything like that & that's still for a sub SLP. The city is an hr away from me. I'd be willing to drive that far for that kind of pay! This is coming from someone who never drove further than 30 min for any job she's ever had. :)

20. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Sep 12, 2009

I wondered if it was a typo as I've never seen any type of sub position with that pay. I was just looking around different counties to see how many districts are in search of subs and I clicked on that. I'd drive an hour for that pay, too.:lol:

21. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 13, 2009

Which post were you replying to? Wished you have left the original text in your post.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 13, 2009

currentSubber, we're talking about post #17 (p. 2). Did you see the Ed-Join site posted there? I'm switching gears from special ed to speech pathology (I'm in school for it now) & she was posting a job posting she ran across for that field.

23. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Sep 13, 2009

My sub will have it easy this Friday. All she has to do is babysit the student teacher! :lol:

24. monsieurteacher

Sep 13, 2009

25. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Sep 14, 2009

Wow.

I thought I made a lot a day.

26. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Sep 14, 2009

I was responding to Ms. I's post directly above mine. I posted without replying with a quote. Sorry for the confusion.

27. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 16, 2009

I see. Thanks for the info.

28. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 16, 2009

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 16, 2009

sunshine*inc, since you were so kind to post that site, which I thank you, I'll tell you what happened so far. So I called & talked to the lady (Tues). She asked me to email my letter of intro & resume & specifically state exactly what kind of work I'm currently doing, which I did so. She confirmed that I didn't have to start grad school yet.

We'll see what becomes of this.