What's your favorite theme?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SuperStar, May 19, 2008.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Rookie

May 19, 2008

I am a 3 day/week, 3 year old teacher at a 1/2 day preschool. This is our last week of school for the summer and already I am looking into switching things around for next year. Some of the pre-existing themes were just over my kids heads! We do community helpers, 5 senses, bugs, all the seasons and big holidays, apples, pumpkins, some nursery rhymes and others but I can't think of them right now. Ones I do not think the kids get are money/President's Day, St Patrick's Day/leprechauns and maybe the circus.
    So my question is... What is your favorite theme to teach and do you have any that are unique? Thanks!

3. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

May 19, 2008

My favorite is the beach, which I use for summer school, and I know is not unique. . . but I LIKE it.

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

May 19, 2008

My favorite is Fairy Tales but for your age group I would stick to things they would have in interest in like animals: farm, zoo, pets. Next year I am going to try a superhero theme. The kids will create their own superhero with positive powers.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 19, 2008

This year, I did a "Kids in the Kitchen" week, and every day we cooked something different. IT was a LOT of fun, and the kids enjoyed it... and such good learning experiences! :)

6. tracer330

tracer330 Rookie

May 20, 2008

i love doing dinosaurs because i love learning about them myself, and i know that my kids love them too; i try to use their interests to plan my themes; when they are interested in and excited about what we are learning, it makes it more successful and more enjoyable for me; they love building space ships and putting together our space floor puzzle, so i decided to focus on space for a week; when we were talking about the letter T, they all got excited when we were looking at pictures of tigers, so we talked about different big cats as a theme

7. Calliope

Calliope Companion

May 20, 2008

Long long time ago I taught preschool. I loved zoo week. We studied different animals' homes, eating habits, how they raised their young, etc. -- read stories with animals as characters, sang funny animal songs, ate animal crackers, played silly pretend games where we made the animals' noises & guessed who was what, and the last day of the week each kid came dressed as their favorite animal they studied & I came dressed as a zookeeper. That was a lot of fun.

8. RedFox

RedFox Rookie

May 21, 2008

We're doing the Solar System now...I love it. I also really liked doing the ocean. With both themes there is SO much you can cover. I love when a theme is able to last more than a week...the kids seem to really get into it that way!

9. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 8, 2008

transportation is one you can stretch for as long as you want. Land, sea & air. Lots of possibilities for fieldtrips, visitors, art, etc.